How to link BP Filters in a series?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Trying to do some formants, how would one go about linking some bandpass filters in a series?

Thx :hug:
-Dennis
Blessed is the lion which becomes man when consumed by man; and cursed is the man whom the lion consumes, and the lion becomes man.

You need them parallell, not in series. The easiest way would probably be to use a filter plugin that allready has two filters and lets you choose between parallell and serial configurations, for instance Cableguys Filtershaper 3. If you want more than 2 BPFs you need something more advanced, like for instance a modular synth that lets process external audio. If you want to understand technically how this works and have a high level of controll over certain details in the sound or you're just a fairly processoriented guy this is the way to go. If it's just the sound you're after and you're more resultoriented you may rather want a plugin that allready has "instant" formant filters.

Generally you need to modulate the frequencies if you work with "just" 2 BPFs while with 3 or more the right static frequencies can give you some nice formants. Either way it can take some effort to get it right, especially the first couple of times.

Convoluted workaround for 3 BPFs: route your sound to 3 separate instances of a BPF plugin, making sure none of the dry sound is heard. They each need to be on a separate channel/bus, then tweak to taste or as whatever data on formants you may have available tells you to. This can be pretty cumbersome, there's issues of how wide the cutoff, the actual frequencies and db for each BPF. Add to this the mysterious discrepancy between theory and practice and you may be in for a very frustrating experience.

Also the more harmonically complex the sound the filters has to work with the likelier to get a good result, sometimes you may want to use some distortion on the soundsource fed to the filters to add some harmonics.

FabFilter Volcano is quite nice for formant filter effects since it can run up to 4 filters in parallel.

This is a great resource for learning about formant synthesis + filtering, with a list of useful frequencies:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar01/a ... nthsec.asp

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

Thanks for the info guys.

Modulating between different formants is gonna be a pain in the ass though, probably going to use volcano to make it easy.

And yea I tried a couple filters with the "instant" formants, Sugar Bytes WOW and Tone2 Bifilter, but they're kinda soft, don't bring out the formants just enough. I even tired stacking them to bring the formants out even further, but that adds quite a bit of extra resonance.

I'll have to look into the cableguys filter as well, can't believe I missed that one.

I'll also try using NI Reaktor, I bet you could sync as many filters as you want with the map editor.

Anyways thanks, appreciate the quick response.
-Dennis
Blessed is the lion which becomes man when consumed by man; and cursed is the man whom the lion consumes, and the lion becomes man.

Formant filters are just the basic EQ with the filters tuned like how the vowels sound.

Oh, almost forgot u-he Filterscape. A 4-band EQ with 8 morphable snapshots should be perfect to morph smoothly between different formant settings.

V-GER wrote:Oh, almost forgot u-he Filterscape. A 4-band EQ with 8 morphable snapshots should be perfect to morph smoothly between different formant settings.
This is fantastic. The morph wheel is awesome, lfo's have phase, a pitch and breath wheel and a step sequencer? This is by far the most features I have ever seen on an eq/filter. Thanks for sharing, u-he doesn't disappoint. :tu:

If only it showed the frequency in hz.... :dog:

As usual, Image Line are ahead of the game by years ;)

"EQUO is an advanced morphing graphic equalizer plugin".
I can also analyse and match a signal

https://www.image-line.com/support/FLHe ... s/EQUO.htm
Amazon: why not use an alternative

iamDennis wrote:Trying to do some formants, how would one go about linking some bandpass filters in a series?

Thx :hug:
-Dennis

formants as in to make words or just the A U I EE stuff ?

check these out
http://www.kvraudio.com/q.php?search=1& ... +filter&ty
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

Return to “Effects”