What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

The world cup thread!

If it's not about music it belongs here! Please keep it civil and decent.... except - see below->

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRAF

1940 posts since 24 Mar, 2006, from The city by the bay

Postby rp314; Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:46 pm Re: The world cup thread!

Armadillosound wrote:Let's face it. If any top side such as Real Madrid,Man City,Liverpool,Bayern etc were to take on any of these sides they'd walk it :D

If it was a real competition, it might actually be fun to witness something like that.

Maybe the closest we've come to seeing an upset under such circumstances was when in the Athens Olympics Manu Ginobili and a bunch of lesser known Argentine basketball players defeated a "Dream Team" made up of: Allen Iverson
, Stephon Marbury, 
Dwyane Wade
, Carlos Boozer, 
Carmelo Anthony, 
LeBron James, Emeka Okafor, 
Shawn Marion, 
Amar'e Stoudemire, 
Tim Duncan, 
Lamar Odom
 and Richard Jefferson.

As they say, you still gotta play the game.
"It does no harm to listen to Bach from time to time, even if only from a hygienic standpoint." Sviatoslav Richter
KVRAF

40134 posts since 20 Dec, 2005

Postby hibidy; Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:53 pm Re: The world cup thread!

An embarrassment to be sure
KVRAF

4504 posts since 28 May, 2005, from Netherlands

Postby Nielzie; Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:29 pm Re: The world cup thread!

Tricky-Loops wrote:The risk is that the German team might fall asleep if they're playing against Netherlands...

Costa rica where defending with 9 players on their side of the field from start to finish, hoping they would manage to get a penalty shootout. It killed the entertainment factor of the match for sure. :neutral:
Last edited by Nielzie on Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
KVRAF

3376 posts since 7 Mar, 2005

Postby keyman_sam; Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:57 pm Re: The world cup thread!

Zombie Queen wrote:Phew... This was Kruel... Survive for two hours only to see this... When I was saying Netherlands' gonna win, it was NOT what I had in mind...

AMEN! I thought NED was going to make a spectacle out of CR but my God their defense was so tiresome to deal with.

Also, am I crazy/alone in thinking that Neymar Jr. is intentionally out of the team (i.e. faking his injury)? Maybe the kid cracked under pressure and came up with the most graceful way to exit? Now if Brazil loses they can pin their loss on bad luck (missing Neymar and T.Silva). Neymar maintains his hero status. Brazil loses due to bad luck. Ze Germans lift the cup. Everyone is happy.

Eh? Anyone?
Alesis Fusion 6HD for sale/trade - Pm me!

Sample Libraries for Shortcircuit
KVRAF

6455 posts since 13 Mar, 2009, from UK

Postby seismic1; Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:52 am Re: The world cup thread!

Should Tim Krul have remained on the field during the penalty shoot-out? He really ought to have received a yellow card for each offense of unsporting behaviour. Just sayin'.
KVRAF

3376 posts since 7 Mar, 2005

Postby keyman_sam; Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:25 am Re: The world cup thread!

seismic1 wrote:Should Tim Krul have remained on the field during the penalty shoot-out? He really ought to have received a yellow card for each offense of unsporting behaviour. Just sayin'.

?? I thought he was brought in only for the penalty shootout for the whole game.

Anyways, given how many fouls CRC had on robben, van persie, etc., I don't even think much of the missed penalty kick that should have been awarded to CRC. I think the refs made up for it.

CRC's strategy seemed to be to just break the rhythm of NED with whatever they could get away with physically.
Alesis Fusion 6HD for sale/trade - Pm me!

Sample Libraries for Shortcircuit
KVRian

765 posts since 2 Oct, 2008

Postby mysticvibes; Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:28 am Re: The world cup thread!

They play to win, not to entertain.
KVRAF

6455 posts since 13 Mar, 2009, from UK

Postby seismic1; Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:28 am Re: The world cup thread!

keyman_sam wrote:
?? I thought he was brought in only for the penalty shootout for the whole game.

He was. The offences were committed before each of the first 3 penalties.
KVRian

727 posts since 25 Jun, 2002, from London, UK

Postby cytospur; Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:42 am Re: The world cup thread!

keyman_sam wrote:CRC's strategy seemed to be to just break the rhythm of NED with whatever they could get away with physically.

Like Brazil's strategy against James Rodriguez of Colombia?
Algorithmic tunes: http://snd.sc/o15cKD

DUNE soundbank: http://markholt.moonfruit.com/

Free saturation/distortion VST: https://www.box.com/shared/zdgyouov21
KVRAF

4504 posts since 28 May, 2005, from Netherlands

Postby Nielzie; Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:53 am Re: The world cup thread!

mysticvibes wrote:They play to win, not to entertain.

No, they played not to loose within regular match time, to be the moral winners before the penalty shootout :wink:
fmr
KVRAF

2764 posts since 16 Mar, 2003, from Porto - Portugal

Postby fmr; Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:20 am Re: The world cup thread!

keyman_sam wrote:
Zombie Queen wrote:Also, am I crazy/alone in thinking that Neymar Jr. is intentionally out of the team (i.e. faking his injury)? Maybe the kid cracked under pressure and came up with the most graceful way to exit? Now if Brazil loses they can pin their loss on bad luck (missing Neymar and T.Silva). Neymar maintains his hero status. Brazil loses due to bad luck. Ze Germans lift the cup. Everyone is happy.

Eh? Anyone?

You are seeing too much X Files, aren't you?
Fernando (FMR)
fmr
KVRAF

Postby fmr; Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:23 am Re: The world cup thread!

cytospur wrote:
keyman_sam wrote:CRC's strategy seemed to be to just break the rhythm of NED with whatever they could get away with physically.

Like Brazil's strategy against James Rodriguez of Colombia?

You bet. Now are we still defending that the game should be allowed to be more physical? I hope people understand by now why this kind of behaviour cannot be allowed.
Fernando (FMR)
KVRAF

3402 posts since 1 Aug, 2005, from where butter flies

Postby Zombie Queen; Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:10 am Re: The world cup thread!

fmr wrote:
keyman_sam wrote:
Zombie Queen wrote:Also, am I crazy/alone in thinking that Neymar Jr. is intentionally out of the team (i.e. faking his injury)? Maybe the kid cracked under pressure and came up with the most graceful way to exit? Now if Brazil loses they can pin their loss on bad luck (missing Neymar and T.Silva). Neymar maintains his hero status. Brazil loses due to bad luck. Ze Germans lift the cup. Everyone is happy.

Eh? Anyone?

You are seeing too much X Files, aren't you?

Maybe I watch too much X stuff, but I reckon I didn't write this... :scared:
KVRAF

1940 posts since 24 Mar, 2006, from The city by the bay

Postby rp314; Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:45 am Re: The world cup thread!

mysticvibes wrote:They play to win, not to entertain.

OK, a bit simplistic perhaps, but still...

An old friend who became a follower of the Cup many years ago at first wondered why in Football there seems to be so much of a preoccupation with a player, or players, hanging out near the other team's goal, yet there is no equivalent to, say, basketball's 3 second rule to keep teams from just putting everyone back around their own goal.

In other professional sports like the NBA there seems to be a constant tweaking of rules to try to make them 'entertaining', if you will. And in the case of basketball, its not just the pace of the game but things like flopping, and excessive fouling of stars are also similar concerns.

There's probably no one around here old enough to remember when basketball had no 'shot clock'... :hihi:
The National Basketball Association had problems attracting fans (and positive media coverage) before the shot clock's inception. This was due to teams running out the clock once they were leading in a game; without the shot clock, teams passed the ball nearly endlessly without penalty. If one team chose to stall, the other team (especially if behind) would often commit fouls to get the ball back following the free throw. Very low-scoring games with many fouls were common, boring fans.

The shot clock first came into use in 1954...

That said, over on this side of the pond, many folks who complain about certain aspects of the sport seem to do so just because deep down they don't like it, don't care for its popularity, etc. So changing the sport to suit their type would make very little sense.
"It does no harm to listen to Bach from time to time, even if only from a hygienic standpoint." Sviatoslav Richter
fmr
KVRAF

Postby fmr; Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:55 am Re: The world cup thread!

rp314 wrote:
There's probably no one around here old enough to remember when basketball had no 'shot clock'... :hihi:
The National Basketball Association had problems attracting fans (and positive media coverage) before the shot clock's inception. This was due to teams running out the clock once they were leading in a game; without the shot clock, teams passed the ball nearly endlessly without penalty. If one team chose to stall, the other team (especially if behind) would often commit fouls to get the ball back following the free throw. Very low-scoring games with many fouls were common, boring fans.

The shot clock first came into use in 1954...

That said, over on this side of the pond, many folks who complain about certain aspects of the sport seem to do so just because deep down they don't like it, don't care for its popularity, etc. So changing the sport to suit their type would make very little sense.

There are some anti-game tactics that have been fighted over the years.For example, teams that were winning had the habit of passing the ball to the goal-keeper. Now, when they do that, the goal-keeper has to play with his feet, and cannot grab it with the hands.

Of course, thay can be passing the ball endlessly between them, but it is much harder to prevent the other team to steal the ball from them than it is in basketball (the field is much larger, and they don't grab the ball with their hands).

IMO, the thing that hurts more this sport is bad decisions from the referees. Off-side law is good enough (although, IMO, it should be restricted to the part of the field between the final line and the defensive grand-area aline). Problem is when the off-sides are badly pointed (and there are countless situations where they are). FIFA has refused to use new technologies to help referees, but they accepted the goal line eye in this cup, and I believe that (hopefully soon) they will accept new technologies to help referees in decisions like off-side.

But a bigger problem remains, and that is the violent anti-game from certain players, and the faking of fouls by others. These could also be prevented by allowing afterwards visioning of the game, and punishment of the players (either the violent tackles or the foul faking) by a second team of referees, with the help of recorded playback. After a few severe punishments, things would improve in this field, IMO.
Fernando (FMR)
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Off Topic