Android 4.5 L older topic

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ok, let's rephrase the question then. Would you, coming from a desktop computer background, with the mentioned advantages like higher processing power, ability to use all your gear, high screen size and resolution, large disk space, and so on, prefer to do music on a handheld device? Of course you can produce music with it, you can produce music with a spoon and a water glass... i don't think that's the question here. The question is whether you would prefer it over stuff which is just more suited in almost every department.

chk071 wrote:You have totally other possibilities with apps on desktop computers. Even the most advanced iOS DAW will harldy have 10% of the functionality of a desktop DAW. Additionally, you have much more processing power, don't have to fiddle with things like audiobus, you can use your external gear, and and and. If then, handheld devices will soon be capable of running normal desktop OS's, if these have been modified well enough to run touchscreen devices. Plus the audio applications have to be modified to do the same. But then, where is the real advantage for handheld devices, opposed to desktop machines, except portability, and being able to work everywhere, which in most cases isn't really relevant, because you won't have your speaker system, or other external gear with you.
i can see some people trying to make this argument with regards to some of the cut-down daw-type apps. although, even then, there are definite uses. but once you start to look at the tablet as a very playable instrument, then things start to open up. multi-touch opens up a whole new way of expressing music. not of any use to anyone tied to mousing in notes on piano rolls, maybe

as to portability ?? well, that is a HUGE draw for many. one of the things i always loved about being a guitarist is the ability to grab my acoustic and sit down anywhere to play. this often opened up worlds of inspiration that would not be available tied to a desktop set-up etc.

you seem like someone who is heavily invested in one way of doing things, and maybe that has closed you off to the fact that others are not interested in such restrictions.

chk071 wrote:Ok, let's rephrase the question then. Would you, coming from a desktop computer background, with the mentioned advantages like higher processing power, ability to use all your gear, high screen size and resolution, large disk space, and so on, prefer to do music on a handheld device? Of course you can produce music with it, you can produce music with a spoon and a water glass... i don't think that's the question here. The question is whether you would prefer it over stuff which is just more suited in almost every department.
re-write the question as many times as you like, but it needn't be a black / white, either / or, situation.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: i can see some people trying to make this argument with regards to some of the cut-down daw-type apps. although, even then, there are definite uses. but once you start to look at the tablet as a very playable instrument, then things start to open up. multi-touch opens up a whole new way of expressing music. not of any use to anyone tied to mousing in notes on piano rolls, maybe
Ok, fair enough. I must admit i have only seen iPad audio apps on videos yet, and i always was a bit like "Well, it's nice and stuff, but what about feature x and y?". So, basically, nice to play around, but nothing serious. The zeta app looks like it's the full blown thing though for example. But concerning DAW's, they're not even near the desktop apps yet. But as you said, it doesn't have to be an either/or situation.

kmonkey wrote:The point is not one of us does know anyone doing really professional work with these little devices. I never saw any decent producer doing it. Really i did not.
You think using expensive and room wasting equipment makes you a better professional?
Those guys who have it in the genes can produce great stuff with everything, even with a dusty playstation1. The day will come when the last desktop box has been sold, sooner than we all expect. Are you prepared? ;)

musical android wrote:
kmonkey wrote:
musical android wrote:Well it is not too hard to find more than enough music being produced with Android apps.
And there is even more made with iOS.
I drive a website called musicalandroid.com and if you want some examples go to musicalandroid.com and on the side click musical interlude and you will have more than enough examples of people doing amazing and in many cases fully produced songs.
And have in mind that this is with Android apps that many iOS users dismiss as well.
It's not hard to find a lot of really bad content in any work - either.

The point is not one of us does know anyone doing really professional work with these little devices. I never saw any decent producer doing it. Really i did not.

Sure internet is bloated with that loads of cra*. Especially on youtube. That could change obviously but for now i wouldn't structure any of my music creating workflows around tiny shitty little interfaces. Seems like a setting myself for a failure.

Like i said it could change but for now it's just like a gimmick and nice toy. Loads and loads of nonsense created. It looks like: here we are trying to do something new for you - it's easy to make music with it" and because of that i am seeing quite a lot of nonsense-content created. Sorry.

And fully produced song doesn't mean it's good by any means. One can kick two toilets and record them and call them fully produced but it doesn't mean anything really..
So I guess you did not bother at all to listen to the tracks that I post on musicalandroid?
Ok i just randomly previewed vitamin c and surreal sonic. And they are all shitty tunes far from being professionally produced. Actually these two totally rejected me to listen other tracks in fear that i am going to hear even more of this nonsense. I think no one will ever buy them (if we take sale as a figure) and few rare individuals which buy them are really not sign of value. And no any decent label will ever make a contract with these tracks because it seems like a financial disaster.

When it comes to idea (speaking of these two tracks) it seems like they are raping my already raped and tortured mind. I am sure you don't like my review but i am being honest.

With that being said i think both of the tracks doesn't have anything with the fact that they are produced on Android. Dude which posted more tracks bellow your post have tracks of better quality so i guess it's up to the person doing music not the tool (as with everything) - which only goes to what i said - in future we will likely see more of these andorid tunes with better quality..

If your point was to tell me that it is possible to do music with android then surely yes you proved your point. And i believe in future things will be better but for now it's just what i expected. Shitty music with no real sonical character and absurd ideas....

I guess you'll now feel bad but it wasn't my intention. I am being honest here. Speaking strictly from the consumer point of view. Don't hate me plz..

Ohh I do not feel bad at all!
The lists that I made for each months are of varying quality and are for showcasing things that I in one way or another find interesting. Feel bad that you picked just two songs to listen to as there is a lot of good stuff in there well produced and well composed and do not find it too hard to take a fast listen to more tracks.
Easy times...
Every man and every woman is a star.

http://www.musicalandroid.com/

Hm, i was under the impression that these tracks were produced on the iPad. Korg Gadget and stuff...

What el-bo posted yes. Also some of the tracks on my list is made with for example Caustic or SunVox that exists for both platforms so it is hard to say but in these cases the apps work the same.
Every man and every woman is a star.

http://www.musicalandroid.com/

Some progress is happening:

http://www.soundonsound.com/news?NewsID=17431

I wonder if it improves the latency... what do you think..?

Very interesting news and yes I heard the latency should be about 20 ms.

They are getting there, with L we might start to see more devs coming on board :

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/06/30 ... o-quality/

Nice! Will the update be available for the Moto G?

arkmabat wrote:Nice! Will the update be available for the Moto G?

Yes it will :

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_custom ... s-8960.php

Very happy! I'll be using FL Studio Mobile much more after this update.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”