microtonic = best percussion synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sounds with a slow attack are bugged. You will hear a click before every sound starts.
It's most evident on bass sounds with a long attack.

I wrote a detailed description for reproducing the error and emailed SonicCharge over a month ago, still no reply.

Apart from that it's a great synth.

Has a certain sheen or gloss that sounds quite digital (much like Sylenth1's) which is difficult to remove if you don't want it to be there, plus most of the patches sound quite pumped and in-your-face, which is also not always desirable.

Definitely not the best, not even close.

I picked up MIcrotonic in the marketplace when SC experimented with allowing second hand sales - I think I was one of the last to benefit from a licence transfer. I'm glad I did though.

What I like about it?
1. It's simple and FUN.
2. The step sequencer is easy to use - I often use this and export the midi patterns by drag & drop, rather than program the midi in a DAW.
3. Audio loop export straight from the plugin - kinda reminds me of "Lunchbox battles", which I used to love to use to knock up a quick loop and export to wav for further use / processing.
4. I built a TouchOSC template to control the step sequencer, if I ever wanted to use it live.
5. Scripts- yes, they are a cool addition.
6. Native 64 bit. I know - Jbridge - which I have, but have problems with sometimes.
7. The Easter eggs :)
8. Patternarium.

As far as using Microtonic to drive other drum synths - I prefer to use Tattoo for the randomization options, and usually have it driving other drum plugins like Microtonic, or Drumaxx, Drumattic or DKS Pro (an oft overlooked favourite of mine, wish this was x64)

So, "best percussion synth"? Well, it's one of those KVR threads where everyone posts their subjective experiences. My "best" is different to yours; you'll never get consensus when there's such a diverse range of plugins and capabilities which everyone is using for wildly varying styles of music.

NMG
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

Hmmm... I can't think of anything wrong with Microtonic. It's still my most used drum machine. It does tend to sound the same over time, but that's basically if you use it for a whole drum track, not as a percussion or fill-in sounds device. It's great for testing out bass lines and other melody's quickly as you can throw it on a track and let it play a pattern while messing around... I have it load in most of my templates always. And Synplant is one of my all time favorite "ambient sounds" synth. Also use it all the time. $99. too much? Ha, it's a bargain considering how much use I've had over the years. Unlike a lot of my plugs...

:phones:

I won't say it is the best ever, but I will say it sees a lot of use from me, and is one of my favorites.

It is easy to use, has great sounds, and with the Patternarium, you can build up a great preset library of patterns you will actually find useful.

I have AIR's Strike, Arturia's Spark VDM, SSD4 Platinum, and D16 Drumazon, yet seem to rely on Microtonic the most. I have considered trying Bong as it has had some good reviews, is a great price, and I think Xoxos has talent. I'd have preferred not to see him here knocking the competition, but it won't affect my opinion of his work.

Microtonic is certainly a tool worth looking into and I highly recommend it. Have had it a year or so now and think it was well worth the money. Nothing wrong with someone celebrating a purchase they are happy with by making a thread.

ultrabeat is the best IMO. no contest

dumb question haha, can it also do such snare/claps?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6GnolqLgkk
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

stillshaded wrote:ultrabeat is the best IMO. no contest
Maschine drum synths for me.

Caine123 wrote:dumb question haha, can it also do such snare/claps?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6GnolqLgkk
Timestretch some clap/snare and then pitchshift it to taste. you don't need microtoniq for this...
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Allrighty then...

How does Kick by Sonic Academy compare to Microtonic.

There's no demo for Kick and youtube video don't help either.

What say you?

Microtonic = does all drum sounds

Kick = does kicks

That help?

Everglide wrote:There's no demo for Kick
What say you?
That's never a good thing to a budget-conscious musician. Quit assuming we don't understand computers, and make a portable version!! Put your own thought into how to get it to sell, and not get stolen. More thought! Come on.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

RunBeerRun wrote:
Everglide wrote:There's no demo for Kick
What say you?
That's never a good thing to a budget-conscious musician. Quit assuming we don't understand computers, and make a portable version!! Put your own thought into how to get it to sell, and not get stolen. More thought! Come on.
That seems rather self-righteous. Software developers have to do what they feel is necessary to protect their products. And we're talking about a plugin which sells for $39 USD... hardly unobtainable for the "budget-conscious musician". And they have a rather lengthy demonstration video on their site. Of course, all this plugin does is play a sine wave modulated by multipoint envelopes, layered with an assortment of click samples. I built something similar in Reaktor years ago, and it should be easy enough replicate with whatever technology you already have access to. What Kick really buys you is convenience at an extremely reasonable price.

I'm currently looking at the Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2, but you don't see me outraged that there isn't a demo version. :wink:
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

It's still my favorite. I bought it the day it was released and have used it in every track I've made since. It's insanely simplistic but does everything it should while sounding good in the process. It handles processing well. Fills up the sub bass region of a track nicely. I like it a lot still.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

+1 for Waldorf Attack

Return to “Instruments”