Cubase 7.5, but then I tried Logic today.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was at a good friend of mine at his studio and he was showing me Logic. I really liked it. What got me was the sounds he used. He told me they were all stock in logic. I was suprised because I told him Cubase had the best stock plug ins-(padshop, retro etc.) He laughed at me. So is logics stock plugs better than cubase? He told me I needed to stop "daw hopping."

I eventually will go to mac down the line. Can't afford it now. But out these set-ups for a pop producer what would you go with:

Setup 1 (what i have now)
Maschine/Studio One
NI Audio Komplete 6 interface
Ipad (imaschine, retrologue)

Set-up 2
Maschine/Cubase 7.5
Steinberg Ur 44 interface (ipad integration)
Ipad with Cubasis

Setup 3 (Down the line)
Logic 10 or Cubase (Mac Pro/Imac)
Maschine
Interface
Ipad (dont know the apps)

use what makes you feel like making music.
f**k all the left brained opinions and comparisons.

This reads like a Logic advert to me. :)

Also i don't understand how you suppose to know Cubase have the best stock plugins when you write: "Setup 1 (what i have now) Maschine/Studio One" and "Setup 3 (Down the line) Logic 10 or Cubase (Mac Pro/Imac) ??

Who needs stock Plugins anyway. :D .. Seriously, i have so much better 3rd party Plugins that i don't select a DAW because of the stock plugins. Overall feel, look and workflow is much more important.
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

When apple bought Logic and gave away all the emagic content for free, that changed the game. In fact, it was because logic offered some much top quality plugins, synths and sounds with Logic that other companies like Steinberg had to play catchup. But catchup they did (for the most part) and things are pretty even now IMO. I still give the edge to Logic, but feature / workflow in Cubase I'm enjoying SOOOO much more that I'm not bothered.

Plus, since I DAW hop between Logic, Cubase, DP & Protools depending on the project / who I'm collaborating with, I tend to use 3rd party plugins so I have my tools for any given project, so built in plugins are not much of a concern for me. But for someone starting out, I always recommend Logic because you get so much bang for your buck its insane!
My progressive rock band - free demos here!! (and if you do listen please let me know what you think!) http://www.aeonsatori.com/news/free-downloads

As someone who very recently switched from Cubase to Logic I would say that there is not much in it. Effects wise I think Logic has the edge, instruments wise there is nothing in it. I think it it comes down to workflow and what suits your way of working best. For me that's where Logic wins, that is just my personal preference though. We are lucky to have so many fantastic DAWs available to us. Studio One,FL Studio and many others all have their strengths, weaknesses and quirks. Selecting the one that suits you best and really digging in and learning how to use it is the key. I spent too long switching from one to another myself. None of them are better, they are just different.

sqigls wrote:use what makes you feel like making music.
+1000

sqigls wrote:use what makes you feel like making music.
This for sure - I switched to Cubase from Logic primarily because I want the flexibility of PC/MAC down the road. Both work really very well - it really is the person sitting in front of the computer, not the software.

You read as if you are more concerned with shiny baubles than actually producing music. Sqigls is correct, use what makes you feel like making music. Forget the rest.

There is no general best here. The choice in audio sequencer is subjective and wholly based on your thoughts and opinions. So no amount of banter or beating around the forums is going to help you here. You just need to get in an Audio Host that feels right and stick to it.

Actually perhaps the forum just did help you.. we all seem to be sharing the same general thought. :ud:

Oh, so hosts are ultimately better by the fact how much/different content is bundled.

Interesting... :roll:

But seeing as you want to go "Mac" in the future, I think Logic is the way to go. Unless you want to keep Cubase and live with certain troubles and the fact that maintenance is more expensive.

Why?
- you only pay 200 bucks, ONCE, and get a sh*tload of content on top of it if you go for Logic - Logic 9 existed and worked for SEVERAL years without paid updates. Cubase costs 600bucks, with 50bucks for a .5 update every year
- Logic X (the most current maintenance update) is rock solid - other Mac users might disagree, but at one client rig I work regularly, it's rock solid on this iMac 11.3 with Mavericks
- easier iPad integration compared to Windows

Which host is better to you, is totally your thing. But there are certain advantages over going "full Mac" if your remote devices and tablets are already on Apple platforms. I can't comment on any "native Logic" remote controls on iPad (I only know something like Neyrinck V-Control Pro for Logic), like Cubase has with Cubase iC. I also can't tell you how well the UR44 would work with Logic.

Grandet, Logic lacks some sort of "Chord Track" like Cubase has, and some other MIDI functions here and there (like the Beat Designer). But price deal wise, and if you have a Mac already, Logic is pretty much unbeatable.

Though since you're on C7.5... and it's working for you... use it, enjoy it. But unless C8 fixes a ton of issues and is generally "the bomb" when you go to Mac... Logic is the better choice on that behalf.

Else... comparing Apples with Oranges in terms of "bundled tools" is nonsense.

Wait, wait, wait... am I imagining things? Did Mister Fox just defend Logic and Apple gear?!
Seems like it. :shrug:
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

If you ever move to OSX, it might be best to use Logic.
But if you're very already very familiar with Cubase, why change?

There's very little to choose between those two hosts.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

The iPad Logic controller is very good, and bundled into Logic X (I doubt Neyrinck is selling a lot of Logic controllers these days). Apple has been pretty supportive of LPX, quite a few updates, a couple of them major, in less than a year. When I go back into LP9, I find it awkward.

The only thing that would turn me off of Logic would be if I became totally fed up with Apple's business strategy and decided to go to the PC. Then I'll do my research and choose what will best suit me, as well as what has the best reputation.

I am amazed at what you can get these days. However, I've seen the other side, where the stock instruments, etc, in Logic just whetted my appetite for really good samples. I've spent at least 10x on 3rd party plugins than I did on Logic itself. And I think I am probably fairly moderate in that regard.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

Ah man http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVokdEWOqX0

Logic 10 and the ipad integration. HOLY SMOKES!!!!

Yep, it is pretty cool.

You just need to pay to play for the hardware. Since I've never owned anything other than a Mac since university, it isn't a problem for me. Yet.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

spaceman wrote:There's very little to choose between those two hosts.
Excuse me?

Logic has the better editing functions in terms of MIDI (or better said, while editing stuff in the key editor). It's IMO nearly as fast as FLStudio's editing features on the key editor. That for starters.

Logic also had it down with the so called "Instrument Track" first. No limitations, no wrapping your head around it. It just worked, you weren't limited to stereo tracks until C7.5 fixed that.

While we're at it, Logic has better routing capabilities. Cubase can still only "route forward", and switching Mono to Stereo Channels or the other way around on the fly is also not possible in Cubase.

Also, Logic doesn't need to rely on faulty VST3 for "sidechaining", while other hosts can do sidechaining with VST2 plugins right out of the box.

And I always felt a tad more comfortable on Logic in terms of editing sound/music to video. Since the engine doesn't crap on you that often. Cubase still relies on QuickTime for the video engine on PC, and the implementation in general is more than wonky (and definitely not as sexy).

These are some of the strong points IMO.

Then had Logic the "Nodes mode" (you could split processing power easily over several Macs in a network - something that was only possible with "Tunneling Tools" for Cubase)? Or was that ProTools? I can't remember.

But Logic lacks the Chord Track and the "built in VariAudio" (Melodyne like system). I also miss the logical editor and certain MIDI tools. Logic doesn't have the "Pre-Filter" section (you always need an own VST Plugin for that), but you don't have Insert slot limitations in Logic, and IIRC you can "bypass horizontally" as well (Cubase can only bypass vertically).

The Channel Strip is also something new for Cubase, but I don't give it that much emphasis to be honest.

So they are somewhat similar, but couldn't be any more different.
Again, IMO.
Last edited by Compyfox on Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Logic has a melodyne like thing called flex pitch/audio.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”