Why does modern electronic dance music sound like...

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

why do people use the term "electronic dance music"? Are you telling me any genre that uses electricity in any part of the process of recording, and then has people dancing to it, falls into this category?

Sendy wrote:This is what I call dance music:
Fark.
Thanks for putting me onto Beatwife.
Name aside, great music.

To return the favour:
http://fieldtriqp.bandcamp.com/track/2tatis

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwz6kZX1KkI

meta, that's pretty cool

Teezdalien wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pehHOqx7JXg

Yes, it's a few years old now, but still pretty relevant.
hahah! :lol:

sqigls wrote:why do people use the term "electronic dance music"? Are you telling me any genre that uses electricity in any part of the process of recording, and then has people dancing to it, falls into this category?
I doubt it. EDM is about side chain, autotune, complete lack of dynamics, kick on the 1/4 note. I don't hate it (other than autotune) but I feel I can recreate it. Rinse and repeat.

I love electronic drums!

I am not a fan of the side chaining effect, in Trance it's there but not a driving sound factor, like in what I like to call "bass heavy" EDM . I also don't like a few other effects in EDM too much, in past and present songs. I still enjoy and appreciate how 80's dance music was not so layered. Electronic Dance and Beats in music is a forward moving need for humans. Beats and Rhythm's are an important part of the human condition.

So people experimenting and making new EDM is amazing. I may only prefer a few genres or subgenres, because it doesn't work for prolong periods of time on my brain, like almost anything else in repetition. I can listen to Trance music for many more hours then other EDM styles and not be bothered. I am glade people are asking and learning about how to make what they hear. Their will always be plenty of room for more styles of EDM because we crave it and we crave change it's being human.

I agree. I bitch about a few stereotypes, but by and large it's cool.

but really?… EDM??

sounds like a label that a person would use if they had no idea about music and had to lump everything post 1970 into a genre.
hibidy wrote:
sqigls wrote:why do people use the term "electronic dance music"? Are you telling me any genre that uses electricity in any part of the process of recording, and then has people dancing to it, falls into this category?
I doubt it. EDM is about side chain, autotune, complete lack of dynamics, kick on the 1/4 note. I don't hate it (other than autotune) but I feel I can recreate it. Rinse and repeat.

I love electronic drums!
SO… EDM is in fact the misuse and abuse of techniques and technology…?

Personally I like a broad scope of all musics genres regardless of instruments, lyrics and beats. Dont think there's any particular genre that doesn't have something positive to offer (hmmm red rag to a bull here I guess).

EDM really coins a massive range of styles and genres so the context of the title is subjective to what the reader associates in their mind to the phrase.

However I would suggest a certain influence is going to be driven by the developers and what's available, the producers and listeners to what they perceive as the current 'rebalistic' trend of what the elders do not like. So leads me on to the next phase

D R U G S and S U B S T A N C E use...

Personally I believe as different substances come into mode, become unavailable and ones replacing then the type of music will be heavily influenced by this.

All the way through history substances have played a large part, not necessarily the majority, in the end result to what the listener will accept.

In regards to X-step I would say this evolved as mdma became less and less available and K' became more norm...of course I am sure other substances will go hand in hand with other genres but I am no expert in this field.

I prefer to listen to sounds for the journey...modern EDM has a lot to offer and the fact that a broader audience can participate in the production is actually exciting and let's face it. A lot of people on these boards would not have a lot of income without them...

Its not called electrical dance music.

oh isn't it!? Oh my bad. WTF, did I say it was?
face into the f-king palm

Where is the line drawn on 'electronic music' anyway?
Don't amplifiers require electricity?
I'm sure there are a few capacitors in most death metal rigs… and tubes don't work ala acoustic style.
To me Einsturzende Neubauten sound pretty crap, and they were often LITERALLY a construction site.
Where are the lines? If it's newish and sounds bad, then it's no-go, but if it's old and crap then it's just retro or old-school or something? I guess tubes and flubbed out hardware generally sounds better than digital harshness, and I do understand the disdain for overly compressed music, and the fact that the internet connected Fruity Loop generation makes it that much harder to wade through musical turds to find the diamonds, but I just can't get the EDM term. It sounds SO wack that if you were my friend and I heard you say it, I'd feel the need to pull you up about it and really find out what the f**k you meant. EDM is a crap term and I can only imagine most musicians labelling themselves as being founded in such a named genre would HAVE to be crap.

xamido wrote:You old people are boring. If every dance music sounded like the one that you prefer then that's very definition of boring instead. I like variety. I know that every dance music have its era. If i want some rave i listen to 90s, if i want disco i listen to the 70s, if i want new wave i listen to the one from 80s.

It's just trend. Now the trend is a bunch of chainsaw clashing with drilling machine. Just let it be, people will move on soon.

Taste is subjective.
I think I was never a young person in this way, preferring an era with its trend. I think all of these required being with a crowd that's using substances I don't use. I don't drink and I don't use those drugs. Sobriety kind of sucks but people on drugs/alcohol are boring in a huge way to me.

Trends are boring. BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM is freaking boring.

Yesterday, the big dull boom bass was eating my space for some time. When it's vibrating the actual building I feel like I'm on a war footing.
I was set to see if it was an actual neighbor so I could get the management to shut it down.
Nope. I decided this was a good time to walk to the Safeway. Aha, a street fair on Telegraph. I discovered the offending sound came from an acrobatics performance three blocks up, & sure, the music for it had to have that four-on-the-floor bass, super-amped. :? So my oxygen was being stolen that remotely. I would have less interest in the subject if BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM, completely moronic, was not a part of my life I think.

I hate chainsaws and leaf-blowers, too.

Music as noise pollution isn't really the best way to form an opinion of something, is it?

In the right (wrong ...) context, Frank Zappa or Mozart are also "noise pollution".

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

ZenPunkHippy wrote:In the right (wrong ...) context, Frank Zappa or Mozart are also "noise pollution".

Peace,
Andy.
You take that back.
Frank Zappa was hardly EVER noise pollution.

sqigls wrote:
ZenPunkHippy wrote:In the right (wrong ...) context, Frank Zappa or Mozart are also "noise pollution".

Peace,
Andy.
You take that back.
Frank Zappa was hardly EVER noise pollution.
:cool:

"hardly ever" :hihi:
... space is the place ...

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”