What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

440 hz to 432 hz - sounding more natural?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
sjm
KVRian

580 posts since 17 Apr, 2004

Postby sjm; Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:45 am Re: 440 hz to 432 hz - sounding more natural?

jancivil wrote:Meffy moved everything about 432hz to HPC, as, for Meffy it was a religious type of idea.
Did it even begin here?

I believe it did, I seem to remember pressing, does a MT controversy qualify for HPC now or is this the usual objection to it as a religious expression.

Well it's not even pseudo-science, it's just made up mumbo jumbo. Not much difference to religion that I can see.

It's definitely not (in the form that the proponents of 432 propagate it) a Music Theory topic. I guess you could argue for a music-related mumbo jumbo forum for these kind of threads, but surely one HPC is enough.

It'd be great if the server could check for forum topics containing "432 Hz" in the title and either display a warning or immediately relegate the topic to HPC where it belongs.
jancivil
KVRAF

9491 posts since 20 Oct, 2007

Postby jancivil; Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:48 am Re: 440 hz to 432 hz - sounding more natural?

It's come up on other boards.

Cymatics is actually a form of science and people have fit 432hz into that. I think granting some particulars of it as pseudo-science is fair enough.

I don't care one way or the other if it strikes someone as religious quality, I would agree that uncritical belief is in a general sense religious quality of thought. It doesn't bother me particularly there is HPC set apart for 'political and religious' topics, after the sort of 'we don't talk religion or politics at the dinner table' (if you want to get your feelings hurt go to HPC), but that was a certain period of KVR with an active quality of moderation. It doesn't make sense to me to move heated topics per se to HPC and I wanted it to be clear.

Personally I would find it harder to draw a bright line in discussion, and the moderation now is far more laissez-faire in this particular regard.
aciddose
KVRAF

8994 posts since 7 Dec, 2004, from Vancouver, Canada

Postby aciddose; Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:53 am Re: 440 hz to 432 hz - sounding more natural?

cron wrote:C: Numbers are themselves divine (but only integers, not numbers with a fractional component)

Image\

I have a passion for passion-fruit cheesecake in pie format sliced into exact thirds.

Peace comes in two thirds and two sixths. Coincidence? I think not.

We know that pie is equal to three due to the divine nature of integers. Therefore how can pie be sliced equally from thirds? Two thirds and two sixths makes four. This is evidence for the divine nature of sharing and compromise. Rather than limit ourselves to only three slices of pie and face Armageddon over the third slice, we can enjoy two slices each. 1/3rd + 1/6th. 1 + 1/2nd.

http://www.timecube.com/
Last edited by aciddose on Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth

21281 posts since 3 Sep, 2001, from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Postby whyterabbyt; Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:07 am Re: 440 hz to 432 hz - sounding more natural?

sjm wrote:It'd be great if the server could check for forum topics containing "432 Hz" in the title and either display a warning or immediately relegate the topic to HPC where it belongs.

If they get relegated to HPC, unfortunately they get culled relatively quickly. I think this is the 4th or 5th thread about it here, but the others have been deleted so there's nowhere to point to to say 'erm, yeah, we already did this and here's the rebuttal'...
To laymen, software development is something akin to wizardry. Neither time, nor effort are involved. If software is missing features they want, or has bugs, it is solely because someone has been too lazy to wave their magic wand.
Aloysius
KVRAF

10344 posts since 11 Aug, 2008, from Alto Icon

Postby Aloysius; Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:19 am Re: 440 hz to 432 hz - sounding more natural?

aciddose wrote:Image

Some say that ''peace'' symbol is actually an inverted cross with it's arms broken. Serious satanic imagery.
My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake.
sjm
KVRian

Postby sjm; Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:27 pm Re: 440 hz to 432 hz - sounding more natural?

Aloysius wrote:
aciddose wrote:Image

Some say that ''peace'' symbol is actually an inverted cross with it's arms broken. Serious satanic imagery.

I read it was subliminal advertising by Mercedes. Read it on the interweb so it must be true.
Aloysius
KVRAF

Postby Aloysius; Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:02 pm Re: 440 hz to 432 hz - sounding more natural?

sjm wrote:I read it was subliminal advertising by Mercedes. Read it on the interweb so it must be true.

Hmmm ... sounds a bit far fetched to me.
robojam
KVRAF

20617 posts since 26 Jul, 2005, from Inside Schroedinger's Cat...or am I...

Postby robojam; Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:06 pm Re: 440 hz to 432 hz - sounding more natural?

I thought it was designed specifically for the UK Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament. No clue what it's supposed to represent though.
trimph1
KVRAF

13608 posts since 23 Jun, 2010, from north of London ON

Postby trimph1; Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:44 pm Re: 440 hz to 432 hz - sounding more natural?

Just go with what works to your ears. No need for all that other shite.
Barry
The man who survived mustard gas and pepper spray is now a seasoned veteran
http://www.ambientonline.org/
Aloysius
KVRAF

Postby Aloysius; Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:51 pm Re: 440 hz to 432 hz - sounding more natural?

I've listened to some example videos of 440 hz verses 432 hz. 432 always sounds better after hearing 440 but I think that's just because it's a lower pitch. For me, there's nothing spiritual about it. The ears get tricked by comparison.
aciddose
KVRAF

8994 posts since 7 Dec, 2004, from Vancouver, Canada

Postby aciddose; Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:54 pm Re: 440 hz to 432 hz - sounding more natural?

I was hoping someone would point out that: "1/3rd + 1/6th = 1/2nd. So why go through the whole complicated 3rds of pie route at all?" Then I'd reply with just this: BLASPHEMY!

Good, evil, and us. Heaven, hell, and earth. THREE.
sjm
KVRian

Postby sjm; Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:07 pm Re: 440 hz to 432 hz - sounding more natural?

Aloysius wrote:
sjm wrote:I read it was subliminal advertising by Mercedes. Read it on the interweb so it must be true.

Hmmm ... sounds a bit far fetched to me.

Oh ye of little faith.
CableChannel
KVRAF

1506 posts since 14 Mar, 2013, from Germany

Postby CableChannel; Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:50 pm Re: 440 hz to 432 hz - sounding more natural?

That 432 Hz thing is not pseudo science. It is just observation.

And theorizing about those observations.

Hm....

Now... wait a minute.... observing stuff and making up explanations.... jeez, that's science!!!!!
|
|
| Win7 64 bit | Cubase7.0.6 64 bit
|
MadBrain
KVRian

705 posts since 1 Dec, 2004

Postby MadBrain; Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:07 pm Re: 440 hz to 432 hz - sounding more natural?

The 432hz thing comes from the so called "Schiller Institute", which is a cult:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schiller_Institute#Cult_allegations
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth

21281 posts since 3 Sep, 2001, from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Postby whyterabbyt; Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:09 am Re: 440 hz to 432 hz - sounding more natural?

CableChannel wrote:That 432 Hz thing is not pseudo science. It is just observation.

And theorizing about those observations.[/quote[

No, in some instances its definitely pseudo-science.

Now... wait a minute.... observing stuff and making up explanations.... jeez, that's science!!!!!

Nope. Observing stuff, then theorising explanations, then testing those explanations properly, and making the test result available for peer review and confirmation is science.
To laymen, software development is something akin to wizardry. Neither time, nor effort are involved. If software is missing features they want, or has bugs, it is solely because someone has been too lazy to wave their magic wand.
PreviousNext

Return to Music Theory