Best software for single-shot sample design

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what was the major recommendation for a software that would allow me to experiment with creating "short samples". For instance, layer several bass sounds with other types of samples and (non-destructively apply envelopes and effects).

I am not interested in things such as Reaktor or Max/MSP and I don't think I need the complexity of SuperCollider or Csound.

I was looking for something with an intuitive GUI which would allow me individual sample-level accuracy.

At the lack of a better suggestion, I would use something like Audacity. Am I on the wrong track? (excuse the pun)

Thanks!

You're basically just talking about audio editing, which is quite different from what the software you've mentioned is aimed at anyway. Use whatever DAW you normally use; I tend to default to ProTools for this kind of audio work, but any host should do.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Sounds like you're wanting a decent audio editor. I usually use sound forge for anything like that.

I use Wavosaur for one shot samples, as well as loops. Super easy to use, fast, does everything I need. Also loads VST plugins.

You'll find more free alternatives here: http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2012/06 ... io-editor/

Another decent free pick would be ocenaudio.
Bedroom Producers Blog << Free VST Plugins!

Once you have your individual samples you could layer them by making an .sfz file which you can create using any text editor. For playing the .sfz files you could use, for example, rgc:audio sfz player (free), Alchemy player (free), Alchemy, Rapture, Dimension Pro ...

Renoise might be a good all-in-one solution.

I have a few problems with ABleton LIVE but in most cases its really cool. Here's an example of what it can do in your case.

You can multi layer sounds in Sampler and hit one key to hit them all.
You can multi layer each track to make each synth in each track hit at same time. That another option.
You can use DRUM RACK to setup simultaneous hits on for instance eg. C3 or or D3 or ABCDEF or G 3 for example. on your midi keyboard.

You may purchase a small enough version that would do the job with M audio fast track. But the Plus version is good with Laptop battery.

Abelton Live is a giant Sampler DAW in lots of ways. You can SEt the Manipulation to record and transpose in beats and complex or other options as well in Preferences. Also there is a high quality Pitch conversion mode.

TIP: WIth SAmpler or Drum Rack you can record all your BAsses together for ex. and then put them into one sound to be played back later on just one midi note value.

Good luck. And do search around.
Ableton Live 8 Suite 64 Bit, Sylenth1 64 Bit,Rapture, Zeta+2,Synthmaster, Dimenison Pro, Mo' Phatt. and Waves plugs.
DELL i-3770 3.9ghz, 12GB RAM, INTEL SSD,
M-Audio Bx8 D2
Oxygen 49
TC ELECTRONIC impact twin 64 Bit
Fast Track Plus
Grace and love

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”