What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

The world cup thread!

If it's not about music it belongs here! Please keep it civil and decent.... except - see below->

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRAF
 
1880 posts since 24 Mar, 2006, from The city by the bay

Postby rp314; Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:22 am Re: The world cup thread!

Tricky-Loops wrote:It's difficult to evaluate the strength of the German team in advance... They can play a great game at one day and a pretty average one at the next...


Well, that's pretty much the way I see the overwhelming majority of the matches. I don't pay that much attention to how they did in the last match but concentrate more on whether the teams are missing players due to injuries or yellow cards.

Anyone who watched the Champions League final can understand what the absence of Di Maria represents to tomorrow's match. That doesn't mean, of course, that the Netherlands are guaranteed a win, it just makes things a little more interesting. :hyper:
I really am looking for absolution for all the things I had to do for money's sake.- Edgar G. Ulmer
User avatar
KVRAF
 
20068 posts since 26 Jul, 2005, from Inside Schroedinger's Cat...or am I...

Postby robojam; Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:22 am Re: The world cup thread!

fmr wrote:In traditional english football, you rarely see a drible, rarely see a pass, rarely see a colective play. You just see a guy making a long pass, another guy running by the side field, centering the ball to the area, and then you have aone or two guys trying to hot the ball with their heads to score.

That's not traditional English football - the long ball game is what Graham Turnip introduced in the early 90s, but it's not always followed that pattern at all.
User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
 
2685 posts since 16 Mar, 2003, from Porto - Portugal

Postby fmr; Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:25 am Re: The world cup thread!

robojam wrote:
fmr wrote:In traditional english football, you rarely see a drible, rarely see a pass, rarely see a colective play. You just see a guy making a long pass, another guy running by the side field, centering the ball to the area, and then you have aone or two guys trying to hot the ball with their heads to score.

That's not traditional English football - the long ball game is what Graham Turnip introduced in the early 90s, but it's not always followed that pattern at all.

What was the earlier pattern, then? Because, I don't remember see english players dribling, or passing, and you yourself have been criticizing that style.
Fernando (FMR)
User avatar
KVRAF
 
8310 posts since 12 Mar, 2012, from South Bavaria - near the alps... :-)

Postby Tricky-Loops; Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:28 am Re: The world cup thread!

The Brazilian team is dangerous because of their "Now more than ever" ("Jetzt erst recht!") attitude... :help:
User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
 
2685 posts since 16 Mar, 2003, from Porto - Portugal

Postby fmr; Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:28 am Re: The world cup thread!

rp314 wrote:Anyone who watched the Champions League final can understand what the absence of Di Maria represents to tomorrow's match. That doesn't mean, of course, that the Netherlands are guaranteed a win, it just makes things a little more interesting. :hyper:

The Di Maria that played in this Cup was miles behind the Di Maria that played the Champions final (as were may others that played that same final, and the semi-finals, etc.). I remember hearing that, in the last game, he hitted the record of failed passes in this Cup
Fernando (FMR)
KVRAF
 
1880 posts since 24 Mar, 2006, from The city by the bay

Postby rp314; Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:39 am Re: The world cup thread!

You mean you'd actually root for Enzo Perez as Di Maria's replacement???

Of course you would... :wink:
I really am looking for absolution for all the things I had to do for money's sake.- Edgar G. Ulmer
User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
 
2685 posts since 16 Mar, 2003, from Porto - Portugal

Postby fmr; Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:42 am Re: The world cup thread!

rp314 wrote:You mean you'd actually root for Enzo Perez as Di Maria's replacement???

Of course you would... :wink:

Enzo is a great player, but my team is F C Porto, not Benfica :wink:
Fernando (FMR)
KVRAF
 
1880 posts since 24 Mar, 2006, from The city by the bay

Postby rp314; Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:46 am Re: The world cup thread!

Oh, c'mon, you'd actually prefer that all those getting the spotlight be players from teams in Spain and England?

Then again, the local rivalries do tend to trump all the rest... :D
I really am looking for absolution for all the things I had to do for money's sake.- Edgar G. Ulmer
User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
 
2685 posts since 16 Mar, 2003, from Porto - Portugal

Postby fmr; Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:53 am Re: The world cup thread!

rp314 wrote:Oh, c'mon, you'd actually prefer that all those getting the spotlight be players from teams in Spain and England?

Then again, the local rivalries do tend to trump all the rest... :D

I had James Rodriguez :D Although he played this season for Monaco, he played here at F C Porto for the last four years. He was a diamond lapidated here in Porto (as was Falcao, which was also revealed to Europe here in F C Porto), so, I'm pleased he was one of the best players of this Cup (and very angry of what they did to him in the quarter-finals game).
Fernando (FMR)
KVRAF
 
1880 posts since 24 Mar, 2006, from The city by the bay

Postby rp314; Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:25 am Re: The world cup thread!

Yeah, professional team sports have always been like that. Fans root for their current bunch but can't help but have some lasting connection with the outstanding players who for whatever reasons go elsewhere.

That's why, once again, in a match like the one that's about to start with no particular personal angle, one cares more about seeing some great performances, than about who wins the thing. And there are also those other times when one sadly has to watch one's team get eliminated as a result of a great performance by some opposing player(s). It's all part of the way these things go.

Let's hope for a good match... 8)
I really am looking for absolution for all the things I had to do for money's sake.- Edgar G. Ulmer
User avatar
KVRAF
 
20068 posts since 26 Jul, 2005, from Inside Schroedinger's Cat...or am I...

Postby robojam; Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:36 am Re: The world cup thread!

fmr wrote:
robojam wrote:
fmr wrote:In traditional english football, you rarely see a drible, rarely see a pass, rarely see a colective play. You just see a guy making a long pass, another guy running by the side field, centering the ball to the area, and then you have aone or two guys trying to hot the ball with their heads to score.

That's not traditional English football - the long ball game is what Graham Turnip introduced in the early 90s, but it's not always followed that pattern at all.

What was the earlier pattern, then? Because, I don't remember see english players dribling, or passing, and you yourself have been criticizing that style.

Not the long ball game for sure. It's always been played as a hard fast game, or at least it was while the players were primarily English and the tactics were much more attacking in nature.
User avatar
KVRAF
 
4564 posts since 28 May, 2005, from Netherlands

Postby Nielzie; Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:00 am Re: The world cup thread!

rp314 wrote:Anyone who watched the Champions League final can understand what the absence of Di Maria represents to tomorrow's match. That doesn't mean, of course, that the Netherlands are guaranteed a win, it just makes things a little more interesting. :hyper:


The Dutch really miss one of their most valuable players on the midfield, Nigel de Jong. I think that could make the difference on the midfield for Argentina tommorow, in their advantage, especially if Messi will play a good game.

And dutch defense is not above avarage actually... Very young players mostly from dutch competition without much international experience and, which is kinda weird, even Dirk Kuyt has been turned to defender for the occassion during this WC, who is normally a striker at Fenerbahçe. He has been doing pretty good though.
KVRAF
 
1880 posts since 24 Mar, 2006, from The city by the bay

Postby rp314; Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:10 am Re: The world cup thread!

Getting a jump on Tricky-Loops! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5tOq80IaMA
:party:
I really am looking for absolution for all the things I had to do for money's sake.- Edgar G. Ulmer
User avatar
KVRAF
 
8310 posts since 12 Mar, 2012, from South Bavaria - near the alps... :-)

Postby Tricky-Loops; Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:28 am Re: The world cup thread!

I'm doing my warming phase - there are tons of popcorn surrounding me... :scared:
User avatar
KVRAF
 
8310 posts since 12 Mar, 2012, from South Bavaria - near the alps... :-)

Postby Tricky-Loops; Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:32 am Re: The world cup thread!

I'm wondering why most men will weigh 30 kg more after the World Cup and women look like they were all pregnant... :lol:
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Off Topic