Ableton Live Lite - Good Sources for Free Packs?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Everyone,

I have finally decided to install a version of Ableton Live 9 Lite that I received with a Line 6 purchase a while ago. Can someone tell me:

1) Whether Live Lite can install and use Ableton Live Packs?
2) If so, where can I find some of the better, high-quality free packs?
3) Are there certain "must have" packs that I should consider buying?

Thanks!

my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Yes and no... a lot of the free packs use plugins that you don't get in Lite and even Intro. I've run into this problem as I have Intro, and some packs I've purchased won't work at all because the racks were created with a plugin that's not installed. Kind of annoying, but it's a way for them to get you to upgrade! I bought some packs from Puremagnetik and a couple others and half won't play...

Here's a link:

http://www.able2ableton.com/top-10-plac ... r-ableton/

:phones:

Yeah, w/o racks there is little to no chance of a pack working.

This is good information - thank you, everyone!

Register then log in to your account on the Ableton site then you will see free packs you can download.

Well, you have racks and the drum sampler but if the designer adds say a 5 band eq which seems to be a LOT, then your out of luck... it's going to be "that plugin is not available with this version of Live, see the website for a comparison of Live's features"... Grrrr. I found out the hard way after purchasing some packs. So, check with the developer, and tell them you have Lite or Intro.

:idea:

DHR53 wrote:Yes and no... a lot of the free packs use plugins that you don't get in Lite and even Intro. I've run into this problem as I have Intro, and some packs I've purchased won't work at all because the racks were created with a plugin that's not installed. Kind of annoying, but it's a way for them to get you to upgrade! I bought some packs from Puremagnetik and a couple others and half won't play...
Yeah I agree. That's why I stopped bothering with the AfroMac "freebies". I really can't justify the cost of the full suites since I don't loop on more than 16 tracks. I could use a few more scenes but it's just not worth the $300 more to me.

yeah, but you can probably find it in the marketplace for half of that, maybe less. Then it's worth it. The full functionality of live is terrific.

Hi Hibidy,

Just so I can figure out whether to save for an upgraded version of Live, what do you find are the advantages of this over other DAWs?

Thanks!

I misread.

Anyways, my advantage is that I can make what I want, have it in scenes that I can play back and fourth, and put down ideas in a fun and creative way. It's hella stable for me (but isn't for everyone like all hosts) my plugs all work, I can use it for hours at a time w/o worrying about how it will work. It's relatively easy to use, there is countless videos and information about it, and all my hardware works with it.

I'm in for the full pound with it........sink or swim.

Perfect - thanks!

hibidy wrote:I misread.

Anyways, my advantage is that I can make what I want, have it in scenes that I can play back and fourth, and put down ideas in a fun and creative way. It's hella stable for me (but isn't for everyone like all hosts) my plugs all work, I can use it for hours at a time w/o worrying about how it will work. It's relatively easy to use, there is countless videos and information about it, and all my hardware works with it.

I'm in for the full pound with it........sink or swim.
Hi Hibidy,

Could you please recommend some basic instructional videos for Live?

Thanks!

Groove 3 has good tutes and Lynda.com is great also. I would consider signing up for a subscription, spend a month on the tutes and then cancel the subscription... cost: one months worth and a LOT of good info. My .02.

I use Lynda.com for work all the time but it's got a lot of stuff on DAWs and electronic music.

:phones:

Thank you!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”