Helix 64bit for Mac is out. Website also updated!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Helix

brok landers wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
brok landers wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Yeah they are fiddly - then z3ta 2 does the same thing. I don't get it - luckily I have them all mapped to knobs in Kore but they are not very usable with a mouse.
in helix you have to get used to th big slider in the middle... as soon as you got used to it, helix is a breeze.
How would that help?
click on whatever parameter you´d want to adjust - the big fader is reflecting it. then use left mousebutton for normal, left mousebutton for fine adjustments.
I see - I think I would still prefer to map them to knobs, that seems an unergonomic solution.

aMUSEd wrote:
brok landers wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
brok landers wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Yeah they are fiddly - then z3ta 2 does the same thing. I don't get it - luckily I have them all mapped to knobs in Kore but they are not very usable with a mouse.
in helix you have to get used to th big slider in the middle... as soon as you got used to it, helix is a breeze.
How would that help?
click on whatever parameter you´d want to adjust - the big fader is reflecting it. then use left mousebutton for normal, left mousebutton for fine adjustments.
I see - I think I would still prefer to map them to knobs, that seems an unergonomic solution.
well, yes, erveryone just as he needs to, of course. i was just mentioning this, as there seem to be a lot of users not getting this approach, and for some (f.e. me) it made a lot of editing easier...
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

Since this thread mentions Helix never being on sale. Here's a permanent sale! New Price $75 (including VAT for you Europeans). So if you've been on the fence about Helix I hope this makes it easier to take the plunge! As always find it here: http://www.audjoo.com

Merry Christmas (or Happy Holidays, whatever floats your boat),
Jonas

Permanent sale? That makes it feel like it is being abandoned or replaced. It looks like it hasn't been updated since August of 2013, as well..? What's going on over at Audjoo? =]

played with it for five minutes = purchased :-)
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

Why would you think it's being abandoned because the price has been reduced?
And, maybe it doesn't need updating :shrug:

It has put Helix back on my radar and now I'm demoing again and remembering how good it is....
Probably a January purchase for me after all this end of year sales madness!

ftech wrote:Why would you think it's being abandoned because the price has been reduced?
Because that's how the world works, on average. Either making way for something new .. or throwing in the towel and hoping the dropped price will attract a few more purchases. It is rarely the case that prices drop on something (especially that significantly) just because someone is feeling generous.
And, maybe it doesn't need updating :shrug:
Software, like art, is never finished .. only abandoned. And I'm not just trying to be cute. It's true!
It has put Helix back on my radar and now I'm demoing again and remembering how good it is....
Probably a January purchase for me after all this end of year sales madness!
I can definitely agree with you there. It does sound good. :phones:

zerocrossing wrote:Honestly, I think the whole thing turned a bit sour for him as the legions of KVRarians who made good use of his free beta turned their back on him when he asked for some money. It's why we can't have anything nice around here.
I remember it was the other way round. Helix was embraced by many here and they were so enthusiastic about it (Very similar to Reaper). Some expected to be free, but many expected to be moderately priced, then came version 1 release with $145 or $149 (I don't remember now). Few agreed to the price, the majority expected something like $50 (including me), so many ended to use the pre 1 version which stayed free. Reaper was with a smarter pricing IMO. It was priced very well from the beginning (I think it was at first $40 for non-commercial license) and the community who worked like beta testers didn't feel betrayed somehow.

Anyway, IMO the reduction of the price of Helix should have done years ago. It is a very fine synth, but Traktion was also a very fine host. Things have changed a lot and Helix needs to be re-evaluated again. Anyway, It is a very good step and I hope it will sell very well. That will give the developer/owner a motive to innovate with it and might release a new revised edition.

Personally, I have enough synths, but I might buy it if I can be more creative with it than my other synths.

EnGee wrote:Anyway, IMO the reduction of the price of Helix should have done years ago.
This, and a much better UI should have been there from the start.

Also, such an incredibly low CPU hit could lead one to think that maybe quite a few corners have been cut internally, which is a putoff to some.

Also, some features were promised for later but (AFAIK) ultimately were not added. CC or LFO slots, or Matrix destinations, I don't remember.

Anyway, I hope Helix won't be abandoned, just further improved. And a big :tu: and merry holidays to Jonas.

edit - nevermind, I moved my question to the more appropriate thread.

Naenyn wrote:Permanent sale? That makes it feel like it is being abandoned or replaced. It looks like it hasn't been updated since August of 2013, as well..? What's going on over at Audjoo? =]
This is completely untrue - I think the new price is a really good idea, and very tempting, I am just downloading the demo now. Why would it mean it was being "abandoned or replaced"? It means the opposite - that sales are going to increase, and more users means more presets, which means more users.

"What's going on over at Audjoo?" - you are reading far too much into this...

$75 is a sweet price for a great sounding, deeply editable, and highly-efficient synth. Insta-buy if I didn't already have plugs offering similar sounds.

basslinemaster wrote:
Naenyn wrote:Permanent sale? That makes it feel like it is being abandoned or replaced. It looks like it hasn't been updated since August of 2013, as well..? What's going on over at Audjoo? =]
This is completely untrue - I think the new price is a really good idea, and very tempting, I am just downloading the demo now. Why would it mean it was being "abandoned or replaced"? It means the opposite - that sales are going to increase, and more users means more presets, which means more users.

"What's going on over at Audjoo?" - you are reading far too much into this...
I paid full whack for mine... But I see the new price as a good thing too. It means Jonas is keeping his eyes on the markets, and Helix will sell more because of it. :tu:
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Yeah, for all conspiracy theorists out there, my reasoning is simple. The other day I was watching youtube videos of some newer synths out there that were priced like Helix, and I felt like Helix was over-priced. That's all.

No awesome replacement coming anytime soon :)

To clarify, I still think Helix sounds as good as any of them, but I see newer synths have _way_ more eye-candy and some ergonomically smart features. Re-vamping Helix ui and workflow would be a hard, lowering the price is easy, and I think it fits the KVR crowd better :)

"What's going on over at Audjoo?" is funny. It sounds like there is a skyscraper HQ somewhere, but like many vst-devs, it's actually a one-man part-time show.

db3 wrote:$75 is a sweet price for a great sounding, deeply editable, and highly-efficient synth. Insta-buy if I didn't already have plugs offering similar sounds.
for 75 bucks helix is the steal of the century. period.
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

Return to “Instruments”