Tone2 Electra 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Electra3 ElectraX

billcarroll wrote:
Sendy wrote:Decided to take the plunge. Yes, I feel it wasn't huge value for money, but I love the new GUI and now the synth feels overall like it's finished. The price doesn't give me that fuzzy feeling I get when buying from certain other companies, if I'm honest. But, it's their call, all we can do is voice our opinion (and there's nothing wrong with that).

One thing I like about Electrax is how you can use it like a sampler. Sure, it only has four keygroups, but combined with sample start point modulation, that's enough to do breakbeat mangling with all of the filters and FX. The varying different types of noise such as linear ramp, bandlimited, filtered, etc, are also very welcome for percussion duties.

And yeah, that new GUI is gorgeous. I like the colour coded lights for the four layers and the knobs are much nicer now.
Any comments on improved sound, or other substantial differences that you think really move Electra2 forward from ElectraX?
Aside from the new filter types and FX (which are all really cool), I'm not really hearing a huge difference in sound quality, to be honest. They say they updated some of the detuning algos to sound more natual, and that sounds plausible from what I've tested, but I'm not hearing a huge difference. I'd say it's there but it's slight.

The "infinite" reverb is really gorgeous sounding, I think that was half of what made my upgrade :)
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Funny, I think the GUI is a horrible mess - lights and fake shadows and reflections all over the place! It may look pretty and flashy but from a design POV it's not very legible.

aMUSEd wrote:Funny, I think the GUI is a horrible mess - lights and fake shadows and reflections all over the place! It may look pretty and flashy but from a design POV it's not very legible.
That's a bit of an exaggeration isn't it? I think it's pretty clear and well laid out. A slight glowing light sure but doesn't detract. It's far more subdued than it was in V1.

I don't know, maybe a bit, the last one was bad but I was just watching that promo video with the little lights coming on and off and distractions everywhere, fake reflections and shadows over meters as well, and thinking I would get a headache using that. It's clever but too much visual noise for me - too distracting. I do prefer flat interfaces over skeumorphism though.

You're being really hyperbolic: "horrible mess". Give me a break! The fact that you have over 19,000 posts on here leads me to believe you spend a bit more time looking for trivia to complain about than actually making music. Jesus...

I quite like the new GUI. It's perfectly legible, cool-looking, and tasteful.
"I don't need a signature, do I?"

demo sounds awesome, does full version have old gui scheme?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Note this new Electra feature:

- Added support for a skinnable user interface

maybe they made the gui bland to encourage gui developers to make something better, or they just got lazy, maybe a combination of the two :lol:
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

I haven't downloaded Electra 2 yet but I think Electra X has one of the best GUIs because the oscillators, LFOs, and filters are all clearly animated. It makes it very easy to see what is happening.

I found no screenshots of the new gui on the Tone2 site...

I hope they did not again do that thing of having reflections and glare on the fake screens. Fake glare on a fake screen that makes it harder to see is mind-boggling... why do that?

Yeah nothing :\ Downloading demo, anyone have any youtube demo videos? Other than the Tone2 ones.

Is there a PDF manual?

The demo version can't load in samples, right? If this is the case, how can one test out the sampling features - which they claimed was another update.

I love to produce Dance music. It has taught me a lot about music it's self, chords and progressions, time signatures. I read about the history of Classical music and so much of the process they use, is applied to EDM. I accept the term-acronym EDM. It is easier to just say that, then to go on into a stupid diatribe about the subtle nuances of why this style is called this and that et el.

I grew up in a burb of Detroit, when Techno was created. I later went to warehouse parties of the 2nd generation producers, Plastikman for example. Big clubs did not host these people. I grew up on a steady diet of Synth Pop, Techno, and New Wave bands many who used synths sounds, the greatest one, will always be New Order.

Back then you did not really tweak sounds; you hired someone to do that, on those "strange" machines. I'm looking at you Jean Michel Jarre. Now I just buy presets and patches.

I think Electra 2 looks very nice and sounds brilliant. This vst is low on the cpu hit and powerful too. I like the simple 80's sounds so un-layered. I also like that thick layered sound of now. This vst gives me the best of both worlds. I do not have to do too much techy stuff, to get sounds that sit right in with the mix and my "layered, not side chained kicks".

I respect Computer Music magazine and the Oscars. I do not always agree with them though (E.T. should have won best picture in 1982). Moreover, this vst should be higher on the list of great vst's.

There is too much bulling everywhere, here their shouldn’t be so much. The vitriol towards Tone2 is too much.

These ten corporations own just about every CONSUMer product YOU use:

Kraft, Coca-Cola, General Mills, Kellogg's, Mars, Unilever, Johnson & Johnson, P&G, PepsiCo and Nestle (they want to privatize water, powerful people say waters not a right but a privilege).

Tone2 is not even a blip on this radar.

Tone2 is a small company, if not family, of people with a love and passion toward making vst's and sounds for them. They have been and are generous. They have always been helpful to me. I know the back-story of Tone2 and I have moved on. They set prices at what they need to survive, in this somewhat dangerous world of competition, corporations and companies, I am 100% sure of that. Please get a new bone to pick.
Last edited by Happy Frog on Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

pdxindy wrote:I found no screenshots of the new gui on the Tone2 site...
I just installed it. The screenshot below, from rekkerd.org, is accurate. Easy on the eyes but kinda boring. Reminds me of some of my Roland gear. I am sure someone will create a better skin.

Return to “Instruments”