What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Help - Camera recommendations SLR or maybe compact Wifes Birthday!!!

If it's not about music it belongs here! Please keep it civil and decent.... except - see below->

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

VitaminD
Pick Me Pick me!

7698 posts since 11 Mar, 2002, from a state of confusion

Postby VitaminD; Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:19 pm Re: Help - Camera recommendations SLR or maybe compact Wifes Birthday!!!

infectedpimple wrote:Yeah, the mirrorless cameras have a way to go yet I think before they can be considered realistic replacements for DSLRs for those who need/want the things that DSLRs do--I remember they were pretty hyped for delivering a larger dynamic range than DSLRs, but from what I've seen they've been at best a marginal improvement and certainly not warranted at the price. But it's been awhile since I looked at them too so maybe they have evolved some?

Also due to the physical properties of light, the lenses are still relatively large (compared to a pocketable enthusiast Compact like the S110, Fuji XF1, or Ricoh GR).

I see Mirrorless ILC as sort of a teenager in size. Not quite child (point and shoot) size nor quite adult (SLR) sized. Sort of in the awkward phase.

They still have a ways to go towards being more than a fad like the tablets are in function I think. That is, seemingly largely popular but usefulness is limited. Not that I don't think they have their use nor that I think they won't become much more useful over time (Mirrorless systems that is).

Maybe check out Dave's Picks from Imaging Resource for some ideas -- http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM

I'm actually in the market for an enthusiastic compact / Point and Shoot.. Something pocketable but with at least a 2/3" sensor and manual controls. That seems to be around the place where they start to improve over a cheap point and shoot or smartphone.

I shoot with a Pentax K-5 mk II and some sizable Weather Resistant lenses. But like deastman says, sometimes carrying a pocketable sized camera is better when you aren't expecting a photo moment.

Another interesting site http://camerasize.com/compare/ as you can even compare top down view to determine actual size versus looking nose on.
"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best." - Henry Van Dyke
spirit
KVRist

475 posts since 12 Apr, 2002, from Terra Australis

Postby spirit; Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:07 pm Re: Help - Camera recommendations SLR or maybe compact Wifes Birthday!!!

The cliche goes that: "The best camera is the one you have with you". In other words if you aren't carrying it when the shot opportunity happens then it's no good.

So you need something which doesn't involve the decision about whether it's worth lugging the camera.

The only way you get to that point is if the camera is very small. If you want a small camera and good quality images then you have to pay for that convenience.

So my recommendation is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... amera.html

Excellent zoom power, wifi, gps, very good fps rate, good sensor, proven pedigree, good stablization, very small.
deastman
KVRAF

3983 posts since 6 Aug, 2003, from San Francisco Bay Area

Postby deastman; Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:21 pm Re: Help - Camera recommendations SLR or maybe compact Wifes Birthday!!!

I'm confident that you'll both be very happy with the G16. That comes from years of personal experience of my wife using the Canon G line, and I've always been satisfied with the results I could get when I needed to borrow it.

That said, cameras in general have gotten so good that there really isn't a bad choice to be made. Anything you choose will be great. Until it isn't, and you start dragging around $10,000 of gear with you everywhere you go.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/4" audio patchcord
MFXxx
KVRAF

1963 posts since 27 Mar, 2010, from UK

Postby MFXxx; Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:10 pm Re: Help - Camera recommendations SLR or maybe compact Wifes Birthday!!!

Thanks so much everyone for your help and wisdom.

I've ordered the Canon G16 after the positive recommendation, a lot of reading, headaches, dilemas and thinking it through.

I'm pretty confident she (/we) will be happy with this. It ticks a lot of boxes. I particularly like the zoom range, the cmos lense and the overall dynamics of this little camera.

From what I can establish it's going to give her the response and results near an SLR without the need of clumpy bags etc, which I know she doesn't want. Whilst she would like to get into cameras and photography I know with work and family, she just wont get the time. She will not be bothered with a lot of settings. Maybe in the future we might go SLR but that will be daddys gift if he can let go of the savings and not by a moog etc...lol who needs photos huh.

If this camera gives her great photos, which I am sure it will, fast response and great action/portraits and its better than her S3 camera phone and our older Panasonic Lumix (which has a slight blemish on the lense but nothing major). She will be happy...if it's the wrong gift back to the shop it goes. One thing I like about John Lewis, no quibble return policy!!!

Naturally I'll report back on the outcome and maybe even share some piccies.

Thank you
Rintrah roars & shakes his fires in the burdend air...
...nothing special just my noodles :
https://soundcloud.com/mystafx
MFXxx
KVRAF

Postby MFXxx; Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:36 am Re: Help - Camera recommendations SLR or maybe compact Wifes Birthday!!!

FOr the G16 what's going to be the best card to get. Understand I need a min 10 - 11+
infectedpimple
KVRist

86 posts since 16 Jun, 2008, from Michigan

Postby infectedpimple; Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:04 am Re: Help - Camera recommendations SLR or maybe compact Wifes Birthday!!!

MFXxx wrote:FOr the G16 what's going to be the best card to get. Understand I need a min 10 - 11+

Storage media is always kind of a crap shoot, I think--it's just a big square dance of brand names and manufacturers, and finding the best combination of these at any fixed moment in time and space has a certain Ahabian futility to it, as the quality waxes and wanes from batch to batch. Any of the recognizable brands should be a safe enough bet, so whatever the fastest-rated card that fits your max price-point is what I will suggest.

Personally I wouldn't overspend in this area, but this is speaking as someone who has had one too many expensive hard drives fail fives seconds after the warranty expired and one-too-many stacks of "quality" DVD-Rs where an aggravatingly large percentage of said discs were rejected by the DVD burner or became unreadable soon after, whereas less expensive representatives of these media continue to serve reliably. I haven't yet been burned by any of my camera cards, but doesn't mean I trust them. I wouldn't pay any more for a card than I would be willing to gamble if I had to roll the dice on one again, should it pull one of those warranty time bomb acts. It's russian roulette basically, so might as well pick the gun with the softest bullet for your wallet! But that's just me! :lol:

As for the G16, it's a great choice. I hope your wife loves it and gets lots of use out of it, particularly catching those moments that otherwise fly by in a blur! Also, have fun being her test subject! :wink:
MFXxx
KVRAF

Postby MFXxx; Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:17 am Re: Help - Camera recommendations SLR or maybe compact Wifes Birthday!!!

infectedpimple wrote:
MFXxx wrote:FOr the G16 what's going to be the best card to get. Understand I need a min 10 - 11+

Storage media is always kind of a crap shoot, I think--it's just a big square dance of brand names and manufacturers, and finding the best combination of these at any fixed moment in time and space has a certain Ahabian futility to it, as the quality waxes and wanes from batch to batch. Any of the recognizable brands should be a safe enough bet, so whatever the fastest-rated card that fits your max price-point is what I will suggest.

Personally I wouldn't overspend in this area, but this is speaking as someone who has had one too many expensive hard drives fail fives seconds after the warranty expired and one-too-many stacks of "quality" DVD-Rs where an aggravatingly large percentage of said discs were rejected by the DVD burner or became unreadable soon after, whereas less expensive representatives of these media continue to serve reliably. I haven't yet been burned by any of my camera cards, but doesn't mean I trust them. I wouldn't pay any more for a card than I would be willing to gamble if I had to roll the dice on one again, should it pull one of those warranty time bomb acts. It's russian roulette basically, so might as well pick the gun with the softest bullet for your wallet! But that's just me! :lol:

As for the G16, it's a great choice. I hope your wife loves it and gets lots of use out of it, particularly catching those moments that otherwise fly by in a blur! Also, have fun being her test subject! :wink:

Thanks a lot. John Lewis have a deal on with some camera cards shds 10 rates so will get some when collecting.

As for me being the test subject, that went out of the door after our little one was born and now for something completely different....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrDFGa0juCM
VitaminD
Pick Me Pick me!

7698 posts since 11 Mar, 2002, from a state of confusion

Postby VitaminD; Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:52 am Re: Help - Camera recommendations SLR or maybe compact Wifes Birthday!!!

16GB size of this model is what I use. http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-F ... B007M54E1M

IP is right though.. it is a sort of crapshoot as the class number doesn't necessarily indicate actual performance. Sandisk makes some decent cards though..
"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best." - Henry Van Dyke
MFXxx
KVRAF

Postby MFXxx; Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:40 pm Re: Help - Camera recommendations SLR or maybe compact Wifes Birthday!!!

Success.

Wife very happy with camera. Not to difficult to use and the results are superb.
A little on the heavy side, but that's not a bad thing.
The HD video is incredible.
The details on the photo are amazing. Took some photos on a family picnic with the kids blowing bubbles with hoops. The colour capture of the rainbows in the bubbles is immense.
Responsiviness is quick.
Bottom line happy wife, happy life...great buy and recommendation.
infectedpimple
KVRist

86 posts since 16 Jun, 2008, from Michigan

Postby infectedpimple; Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:00 pm Re: Help - Camera recommendations SLR or maybe compact Wifes Birthday!!!

Glad to hear! I hope she wears it out capturing thousands more such happy family moments... and then you can upgrade again! But hopefully not for a few years anyway :hihi:
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Off Topic