note per midi channel support

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi peeps,

The latest beta of Bazille (all u-he synths to follow) now supports polyphonic note expression by having each note on its own midi channel (I think that is how it works). A couple users have this working with Bazille and the EigenD software.

I was wondering if this is supported in Tracktion (since I have read it supports the Seaboard)?

Any insights appreciated...

Yes, this was added in 5.3. There are a couple of features to support this including the MIDI clip's "Multi Channel" property which lets you specify the number of channels to use and the "Record to note automation" feature. This allows you to record CC messages to notes with matching channels which is really the only way to capture expression from multi-channel instruments.

Take a look at the 5.3 video for some quick info: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG8Twt43G74

dRowAudio wrote:Yes, this was added in 5.3. There are a couple of features to support this including the MIDI clip's "Multi Channel" property which lets you specify the number of channels to use and the "Record to note automation" feature. This allows you to record CC messages to notes with matching channels which is really the only way to capture expression from multi-channel instruments.
Thanks for your reply...

I watched the video, but it goes so quick, seems to assume some knowledge and there is no explanation. Is there some sort of tutorial or manual chapter somewhere?

Well, it's not really a tutorial video, more a brief overview of the new features in 5.3. Because they're new we haven't had a chance to create any more detailed documentation or videos. But, they should be relatively straight forward to use. My suggestion would be to just have a play with them. Here's a quick idea of what I did in the video:

- Add an instance of your multi-channel plugin on a track
- Record an MIDI clip in the usual way
- (If you have a multi channel instrument you can use "Record to note automation" at this point)
- Once you have the recorded clip select the number of channels you want it to use (normally 10) from the MIDI clip properties
- If you want to further edit the CC data you can do this using note automation and the CC will stay in time with the note and things like polyphonic aftertouch will always relate to the note number.

Hope that helps!

dRowAudio wrote:Well, it's not really a tutorial video, more a brief overview of the new features in 5.3. Because they're new we haven't had a chance to create any more detailed documentation or videos. But, they should be relatively straight forward to use. My suggestion would be to just have a play with them. Here's a quick idea of what I did in the video:

- Add an instance of your multi-channel plugin on a track
- Record an MIDI clip in the usual way
- (If you have a multi channel instrument you can use "Record to note automation" at this point)
- Once you have the recorded clip select the number of channels you want it to use (normally 10) from the MIDI clip properties
- If you want to further edit the CC data you can do this using note automation and the CC will stay in time with the note and things like polyphonic aftertouch will always relate to the note number.

Hope that helps!
Yes, thanks... that does help some... I'll go experiment. I upgraded to T5 but haven't used it yet as I'm generally happy with my other host. However, the multi-channel stuff gives me incentive. Appreciate your guidance!

Return to “Tracktion”