64bit FL Studio

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Groove Machine

@marketing hype: :dog: I no longer know how to get people to understand WHY x64 is a good thing. Troll on......

arkmabat wrote:
chk071 wrote:It says it has a bridge.
32 Bit bridged and 64 Bit native VST plugin support.
Ah. So one will be bridged. Interesting. Thanks.
In a 64 Bit host 32 Bit plugins have to be bridged. In a 32 Bit host 64 Bit plugins have to be bridged.

That is, if a bridge is available, and both FL Studio 32 and 64 Bit can bridge plugins.

You can even bridge 32 Bit plugins in the 32 Bit version and the 64 Bit plugins in the 64 Bit version. Why? Because (theoretically) it can be useful to protect the host from crashing plugins.

Regards Scott
Last edited by Image-Line on Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image-Line are proud developers of - FL Studio, FL Studio Mobile & Audio Plugins.

hibidy wrote:@marketing hype: :dog: I no longer know how to get people to understand WHY x64 is a good thing. Troll on......
64 Bit is a good thing.

BUT the advantages have been vastly over exaggerated in the minds of many consumers. That is, many people seem to expect the heavens to open up, audio quality to improve dramatically and their computer to run 200% faster.

In reality, very few people actually work with projects over 4 Gb in size, (yes I am expecting a whole bunch of you to put your hands up and say me! but you are in the small minority). This is the primary area of concern with 64 Bit. There is no audible advantage over 32 Bit processing and negligible/no speed improvements when code is optimised in both cases.

http://support.image-line.com/redirect/ ... _64Bit_FAQ

That said, if I was starting afresh today, I'd install the 64 Bit version and get on with only using 64 Bit plugins where I could.

Regards Scott
Image-Line are proud developers of - FL Studio, FL Studio Mobile & Audio Plugins.

I'm still using more 32-bit plugs (synthedit probably, so 64-bit is a long way off if ever for these) than ones that have 64-bit versions available.

So I'll be using the 32-bit version until it is either no longer available, or I'm using more 64-bit plugs than 32-bit, which is sure to come around to be the reality eventually.

That said, I've had 64-bit versions installed in the past and never had one that didn't work right in the FLS bit-bridge (before I realised that there was no benefit from the plugins I was using in 64-bit and reverted back to 32bit versions). Hopefully the same will be true of the 32-to-64 bit bridging in the 64bit version so I shouldn't be too troubled by the time I switch.

So I'm glad they're developing a 64-bit version and that people are adopting it as that would presumably iron some of the kinks out etc before I get to it! But I'm not going to bother for now.
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

Image-Line wrote:
hibidy wrote:@marketing hype: :dog: I no longer know how to get people to understand WHY x64 is a good thing. Troll on......
64 Bit is a good thing.

BUT the advantages have been vastly over exaggerated in the minds of many consumers. That is, many people seem to expect the heavens to open up, audio quality to improve dramatically and their computer to run 200% faster.

In reality, very few people actually work with projects over 4 Gb in size, (yes I am expecting a whole bunch of you to put your hands up and say me! but you are in the small minority). This is the primary area of concern with 64 Bit. There is no audible advantage over 32 Bit processing and negligible/no speed improvements when code is optimised in both cases.

http://support.image-line.com/redirect/ ... _64Bit_FAQ

That said, if I was starting afresh today, I'd install the 64 Bit version and get on with only using 64 Bit plugins where I could.

Regards Scott
I understand, but it's not marketing hype. W/o x64 you are severely limited with ram. AND this a huge reason why crashes happen. Funny, I don't get many crashes since I went x64 (and they are always some bug with a 3rd party plug)

Your software has a two way bridge which works swimingly for people who want to stay 32 bit but need x64 for synths like trilian, kontakt, etc :)

hibidy wrote:but it's not marketing hype
Trust me there has been Marketing hype...

https://web.archive.org/web/20120225110 ... nd-better/

followed by

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 7&t=344140

...and recently Apples 64 Bit iPhone 5s

Regards Scott

True about the marketing hype,"it will sound better",there are other factors more worth to explain.

On my win 64 machine with 16 GB ram at start up there is about 1.70 GB ram already consumed.
It wasn't that much much with 4 or 8 GB ram.

A host that has no bridging needs at least free 500 MB ram to perform stable (my experience).
Nowadays the GUIs are eating "horribly" :hihi: (pah,you want a shiny GUI,admit it!) amount of ram so there isn't much space for loading samples anymore with a 3 GB limit.

Bridging introduces a performance hit,albeit it can be a small one,depending on the host.

Interestingly,FL Studio is running as a 32 bit application but is already 64 bit (because of the installation path in program files x86) ,so there seems to be two kind of bridges,one for loading the plugin and bridge for example a 32 bit plugin in a 64 bit host or a host that can be 32 bit bit maybe using the windows API and let handle windows the task to run entirely as a 64 bit host.
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

x86 is 32 bit. the one without that is 64bit...

...isn't it?
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

Yes.

64 bit audio engine is not the same thing as 64 bit plugin hosting. The 32 bit version also has a 64 bit audio engine (same with most hosts these days)

With 32 Bit processing, when using the IEEE floating-point standard double extended precision format, you can get 80 Bit internal precision.

64 Bit doesn't bring anything new to audio fidelity.

Regards Scott
Last edited by Image-Line on Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

128 bit? Well, I'll bet that will sound really really more better!

hibidy wrote:128 bit? Well, I'll bet that will sound really really more better!
I think KVR has already laughed enough at the topic.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 7&t=344140

It's interesting that Wolfgang Kundrus, one of the founders of Studio One, originally from Steinberg, said re the 'Studio One sounds better because it's 64 Bit' marketing...
...but it seems that since he left the company the marketing department has gone back to it.

Regards Scott

Well, anyways, I'll look forward to 12, x64, and the accompanying vids

hibidy wrote:Well, anyways, I'll look forward to 12, x64, and the accompanying vids
FL Studio 64 Bit is now officially available

http://www.image-line.com/documents/new ... 1404861754

* Access up to 512 GB memory, depending on your Windows version.
* 32 Bit bridged and 64 Bit native VST plugin support.
* Project compatibility between 32 and 64 Bit versions.
* FL Studio available as a 64 Bit VST plugin for use in 64 Bit VST hosts.

Regards Scott

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”