Akai iMPC Pro thread

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS
iMPC iMPC Pro

Despite the obvious shortcomings, I'm really liking the pre-loaded sounds, many of them anyway. I'll use this as more of an idea generater, & do the heavy lifting in BM2.

so much complains for only 12 € wich is not even the price of the sound samples that come with this app.

peoples are just crazy.
Win 11, UAD Octo satellite usb, Yamaha AG06 mk2, IK multimedia iLoud MTM x2, Ableton Live 11, Push 2, Reason 12, NI Komplete.

It still doesn't seem to support IAA or Audiobus right? Why is that?
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

It supports IAA, lots of people have used it with Cubasis already.
Why no AB? Cause they have their heads up their asses I guess....

Aural Chaos wrote:
Wormhelmet wrote:Well, it does have midi sync. With Tabletop. But generally for $12.99 I don't consider the word pro to be of any significance at all. If I want "Pro" I expect a little more "pro" price. It's all icing on the cake to have a somewhat functional MPC like app for that price.

It's pretty fun and has a ton of features and will get updated. Not really finding complaints right now. Sorry.
So you are using it, right now, with Tabletop?
Waiting for the Tabletop update that is supposed to be coming soon. This one plus iMini should make Tabletop a little more fun.

As standalone app is really why I purchased. Haven't had much time to thoroughly explore it, but fun so far. I bought it without reading any reviews yet because I like iMPC by itself to jam with.

I've been actually looking at some custom hardware stuff from 16 squarez though or MPC Stuff just to play with an MPC. I use Geist on PC and Beatmaker 2 on iPad, with occasional tracks put together in iMPC. Just like drum samplers. The huge list of features i briefly looked at then bought it. I don't think much of paying the same as a couple packs of smokes and a coffee for an app that amuses me and I might be able to throw out some cool tracks on while playing the squares.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

9headshydra wrote:so much complains for only 12 € wich is not even the price of the sound samples that come with this app.

peoples are just crazy.
That was my initial thought too. The soundset is pretty good.

If people want to complain and reject it at version 1, then I guess that's what they'll do. I just didn't see a need to judge it after one day and version 1, other than initially it's pretty fun and a bunch of features iMPC was lacking. There's always the wait for version 2 or major update option also for those that don't like what it offers now. I bought a $50 PC MPC VST (Poise) which has limited features as well and didn't think the price was too much for what it offered. I don't even think you can buy a memory card for hardware MPC for the same price as this app at intro pricing.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundclick Wormhelmet

The whole "it's only version 1" excuse is lame, especially under the circumstances.

They had months of teaser videos you'll recall. They showed it running in Tabletop, which it still can't do- OK, they've submitted the update- you don't think they should have gotten that taken care of before their over-hyped launch?

And to tons of pissed off customers, their already WAS a version 1 of this- the original iMPC.
This is supposed to be the Pro version.

Glad people are enjoying it for what it is- better than wanting it to be something it's not...

I never saw any teaser videos on this. I just bought it. I don't really follow this forum anymore. Too many that want $200 performance from a $15.00 app and whine when it isn't perfect. I never expect a lot out of apps so I stay pretty impressed if it has more than simple sound creation or manipulation abilities. They're just fun stuff for cheap that can be used to do some good music in the right hands. Whatever. Complain away if it makes the day. I'm out again until another decent release. Last one I saw before this was Z3TA+, so it's been a stretch.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Wormhelmet wrote:I never saw any teaser videos on this. I just bought it. I don't really follow this forum anymore. Too many that want $200 performance from a $15.00 app and whine when it isn't perfect. I never expect a lot out of apps so I stay pretty impressed if it has more than simple sound creation or manipulation abilities. They're just fun stuff for cheap that can be used to do some good music in the right hands. Whatever. Complain away if it makes the day. I'm out again until another decent release. Last one I saw before this was Z3TA+, so it's been a stretch.
Cool. This one works for you. Great.

For the rest of us, that, you know, does have an interest in iOS music, and buys and tries alot of music apps, it adds up.
And when a much talked about app fails to deliver, I don't have to justify my reasons for not being happy with the app for people like you. Not for the bugs, and not for the price.

If you're using this app without serious bugs and it fits your workflow, great for you. But that's not the case for everyone.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

This may be good news for some:

Akai Pro released iMPC Pro, its re-imagining of the Music Production Center for the iPad, earlier this week. While iMPC Pro was heavily anticipated, many musicians have expressed disappointment over the app’s lack of MIDI support.

Developer Retronyms has responded at their blog by documenting the MIDI IN controls that work with iMPC Pro and providing example layouts for several controllers, including the Korg NanoPad 2, Touch OSC, Arturia Beatstep and MiniLab.

http://blog.retronyms.com/2014/07/impc- ... tails.html

via synthtopia
바보

9headshydra wrote:so much complains for only 12 € wich is not even the price of the sound samples that come with this app.

peoples are just crazy.
So true. There may be a few shortcomings but the app is really awesome as is I think. UI is much better than BM2. Demo songs are not so inspiring tho..

iMPC pro works inside Tabletop, but the provided iMPC pro template crashes Tabletop on load.
It's a shame they didn't opt for in-app purchase, so now have an obsolete iMPC app which I deleted. :/

I really like the new options, slicing / timeline / etc, ty Retronyms and Akai.

Cheers.

It does Have IAA support and works pretty seamlessly with MPC Element. Been playing around with the Element today with it. Element has great pad response. I just gave away my white padKontrol to my nephew and picked up the MPC Element to replace it. Might make a midi map for padKontrol. I still have a black padKontrol. Couple minor midi message glitches I haven't nailed down on what the trigger is specifically, but I'll figure it out as I play around more. It changed the sequence number, but happened only twice while kind of button mashing when exploring as first hooked up. Have to hold the tap tempo button on the Element while plugging USB in or it won't recognize it. Everything mapped up from the get go though once recognized. This thing is pretty fun as a standalone. I did get the tabletop update that supports this today.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Tabletop update works. Definitely crash on default iMPC Pro template, but quickly created another template with iMini and iMPC Pro. I like the standalone better. Regular iMPC app is more fun with MPC Element. They need to make sound banks for iMPC available in Pro. Both have good sound sets, but would be nice to have in one location.

I like the workflow (as standalone - Tabletop workflow has me at clunky until I get used to it). Not like BM2, but pretty good for me. I remember starting out with beats on an old Dr Rythm, then on MC303. This stuff beats the heck out of those workflows, although MC303 wasn't too bad and I loved it at the time. This thing is a steal at $13.00 in my opinion. Also in my opinion - It's very performance oriented. I like the live record feel of it. I'm sure they'll have some cool updates. Retronyms has never been quick on updates though. Now we need more Arturia synths that are Tabletop ready.

Does it have everything an MPC has? Probably not, but has a lot of features that are pretty easy once I discovered them. This at only a few hours total with it over last two days.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundclick Wormhelmet

So, i am working with tabletop and iMPC Pro for a few days.
The tabletop update for the iMPC Pro is bad.. :(
I will tell you what i found out.

1.The TT sequencer ignores now if i am in loop or in song mode. :?

2.After saving and opening a TT project with iMPC Pro in it the iMPC Pro has lost its connection to the mixer ( both i used in it ) and there was no way to connect it again to the same mixer input, the input of this mixer channel was dead and was not showing anymore the ability to connect even another instrument. Hours of work for nothing. :cry:
3.I have to push the record button in TT two or three times to take reaction. :roll:
4.The biggest fault in iMPC Pro is that the trimming of my own sampled samples will not be saved correctly. I sample, i trim, i save. When i then open iMPC Pro again, every perfect trimmed sample has one or two seconds more of sound at the end, looping from beginning.
No way to create perfect samples on my own this way.
Again hours of work for nothing. :x
5.And you have to make a choice if you want to work from beginning in TT or with iMPC Pro in standalone.
Why? Because no sequence or sample you made in iMPC Pro in standalone mode is shown in TT when you put iMPC Pro in TT. :x
6.IMPC Pro is missing the input to sample modular from tabletop devices, you have to use copy paste. Yes, isnt that a joke ? IMPC Pro has just an output when running in
TT! :(
That is the reason why i work standalone with the iMPC Pro, without tabletop. But now all the stuff i made is not available in TT when i put iMPC Pro into it. I have now two apps with bugs and no one of them is working correct to have more than fun with jamming, no way to work seriously with them. :neutral:
Retronyms should fast give an update for trimming ( the most important thing ) and the rest. :pray:

Of course, for that apps it is not much money.
But i have paid more then 40€ to get TT devices and now, after the last update, the sequencer is a shit... Not stable and doing what it wants. :cry:
And i paid also for iMPC Pro, which lets missing correct trimming saving. These are the most important things in the app. And everytime it will not work i am getting frustrated a little bit more. :roll:
Retronyms lets me pay for iMPC, then they make another app, IMPC Pro. No special offer for users of the first iMPC.
But who will use the first machine now when the pro version is there ? :?: They made money with the first one and now again and there are too many bugs in the new one. I am angry about that politic. :x They should give the users of the first iMPC machine a special price and not for all peaple a cheaper price, if they own the first or not. :!:

But i will also say, if there will be updates of TT and IMPC Pro that fixes these bugs, :pray: they will be very good apps.
At this time its frustrating a little bit to do more than jamming with them.... :roll:

Last but not least give us a good midi and sync (sync is most important and a standart for years ) implementation :pray:

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”