What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

How to plonk a "moderator" in an OPEN forum who is only a real moderator in his developers' forum?

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

SODDI
KVRAF

2674 posts since 2 Jul, 2007, from Oxycontin Acres, Georgia, USA

Postby SODDI; Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:15 pm How to plonk a "moderator" in an OPEN forum who is only a real moderator in his developers' forum?

This is due to the "moderator's" behaviour in these open forums. However, in the current KVR system you can't plonk a moderator, no matter what. There are a few of these people and I suspect that they are aware of this "feature" of the KVR system and get over on it. This is basically an abuse of moderators' privileges.

Plonk is better than fight, right? I am not in these developers' product forums, after brief exposure to them I would not go to their developers' forum. I do not expect to be able to plonk them in their own forums, but I would prefer not to be subjected to them in the open forums.
Hink
Rad Grandad

24699 posts since 5 Sep, 2003, from New England U.S.A.

Postby Hink; Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:29 pm Re: How to plonk a "moderator" in an OPEN forum who is only a real moderator in his developers' forum?

the problem with plonking someone is it does not affect quotes which can just make matters worse for the plonker (sorry :oops: ). There will always be a lot of selective quoting which can lead to reading things way out of context, especially if you had not read the rest of the post from the person you have blocked. Of course there is just as much quoting of full posts as well, so really how effective is plonking really? :shrug:
New Song LBS
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth

21382 posts since 3 Sep, 2001, from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Postby whyterabbyt; Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:40 am Re: How to plonk a "moderator" in an OPEN forum who is only a real moderator in his developers' forum?

Hink wrote:the problem with plonking someone is it does not affect quotes which can just make matters worse for the plonker (sorry :oops: ). There will always be a lot of selective quoting which can lead to reading things way out of context, especially if you had not read the rest of the post from the person you have blocked. Of course there is just as much quoting of full posts as well, so really how effective is plonking really? :shrug:

I think its farluker who has a Greasemonkey script that hides quotes of the plonked. But I agree with the OP; More than one 'developer' with a forum here has misused their extra privileges, and it'd be nice to restore that balance somewhat.
To laymen, software development is something akin to wizardry. Neither time, nor effort are involved. If software is missing features they want, or has bugs, it is solely because someone has been too lazy to wave their magic wand.
Kriminal
KVRAF

18475 posts since 1 Oct, 2001, from England

Postby Kriminal; Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:56 am Re: How to plonk a "moderator" in an OPEN forum who is only a real moderator in his developers' forum?

WTF is plonking?
Dont Upset The Drama Queens
Armadillosound
KVRian

865 posts since 28 Aug, 2013

Postby Armadillosound; Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:02 am Re: How to plonk a "moderator" in an OPEN forum who is only a real moderator in his developers' forum?

Kriminal wrote:WTF is plonking?

I was about to ask the same question :?
Armadillosound
KVRian

865 posts since 28 Aug, 2013

Postby Armadillosound; Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:18 am Re: How to plonk a "moderator" in an OPEN forum who is only a real moderator in his developers' forum?

farlukar wrote:Do I be google?
plonk

Do I be educated :hihi:
Hink
Rad Grandad

Postby Hink; Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:59 am Re: How to plonk a "moderator" in an OPEN forum who is only a real moderator in his developers' forum?

I assume it means to mute, block, add foe :shrug:
New Song LBS
SODDI
KVRAF

2674 posts since 2 Jul, 2007, from Oxycontin Acres, Georgia, USA

Postby SODDI; Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:18 pm Re: How to plonk a "moderator" in an OPEN forum who is only a real moderator in his developers' forum?

"Killfile" is a good term. "Ignore" is better. I'm not fond of "Add Foe" because these people are not actual foes or enemies, just people one would like to ignore for one reason or another.

As for quoted material, I also maintain a good mental killfile.
Ingonator
KVRAF

8023 posts since 21 Mar, 2008, from Hannover, Germany

Postby Ingonator; Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:35 am Re: How to plonk a "moderator" in an OPEN forum who is only a real moderator in his developers' forum?

Armadillosound wrote:
Kriminal wrote:WTF is plonking?

I was about to ask the same question :?

As a non native speaker i asked the same question to myself and found this in the "Urban dictionary":

http://de.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=plonking

:oops:

Maybe this one is better:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/plonking
Waldorf Beta Forum Manager
"Atmospheric Transients" for PPG Wave 3.V
"Analog vs Digital" for Blofeld
Win 7 64-bit / Live 9 / Studio One / Reaper / Pro Tools // Blofeld / Pulse 2 /Waldorf + other plugins
Gamma-UT
KVRAF

2516 posts since 8 Jun, 2009, from UK

Postby Gamma-UT; Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:09 am Re: How to plonk a "moderator" in an OPEN forum who is only a real moderator in his developers' forum?

If it's who I think it is, aren't they a moderator for a company forum where the company is now defunct?

The website's back end certainly seems to have gone to MySQL heaven.
No longer blank as Frank
Soundcloud
experimental.crow
KVRAF

4792 posts since 9 Mar, 2003

Postby experimental.crow; Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:25 am Re: How to plonk a "moderator" in an OPEN forum who is only a real moderator in his developers' forum?

whyterabbyt wrote:
Hink wrote:the problem with plonking someone is it does not affect quotes which can just make matters worse for the plonker (sorry :oops: ). There will always be a lot of selective quoting which can lead to reading things way out of context, especially if you had not read the rest of the post from the person you have blocked. Of course there is just as much quoting of full posts as well, so really how effective is plonking really? :shrug:

I think its farluker who has a Greasemonkey script that hides quotes of the plonked. But I agree with the OP; More than one 'developer' with a forum here has misused their extra privileges, and it'd be nice to restore that balance somewhat.

c'mon ...
this time that e-mail list has really been culled ...
really ...
i promise ...
robojam
KVRAF

20784 posts since 26 Jul, 2005, from Inside Schroedinger's Cat...or am I...

Postby robojam; Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:39 am Re: How to plonk a "moderator" in an OPEN forum who is only a real moderator in his developers' forum?

whyterabbyt wrote:More than one 'developer' with a forum here has misused their extra privileges, and it'd be nice to restore that balance somewhat.

It would be nice if everyone was held accountable to the same standards, but historically that hasn't happened, and you're right - some can pretty much do what they want on the forums and remain here to continue to do it.
Hink
Rad Grandad

Postby Hink; Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:11 am Re: How to plonk a "moderator" in an OPEN forum who is only a real moderator in his developers' forum?

whyterabbyt wrote:

I agree, but that's a long way to go for avoidance and it wont solve the problem. It will solve the problem for the individual but still the underlying problem will still exist. Unfortunately I dont see a better option
New Song LBS
Compyfox
KVRAF

11218 posts since 18 Oct, 2003, from Berlin, Germany

Postby Compyfox; Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:23 am Re: How to plonk a "moderator" in an OPEN forum who is only a real moderator in his developers' forum?

robojam wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:More than one 'developer' with a forum here has misused their extra privileges, and it'd be nice to restore that balance somewhat.

It would be nice if everyone was held accountable to the same standards, but historically that hasn't happened, and you're right - some can pretty much do what they want on the forums and remain here to continue to do it.

Sadly, I can confirm that.

It's going on for quite a while that "certain users" have more rights than others, and that "certain moderators" abuse their powers instead of keeping balance to the boards.
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Site Stuff