What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

What are you watching?

If it's not about music it belongs here! Please keep it civil and decent.... except - see below->

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

e@rs
KVRist

374 posts since 15 Dec, 2011, from Bucharest, Romania

Postby e@rs; Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:14 am Re: What are you watching?

'The Angriest Man In Brooklyn' - not that good. Saved a little by Robin Williams performance. Mila Kunis sucks as always. The chemistry between actors is zero. But that camera buying scene was quite f-f-f-f-f-funny.
GaryG
KVRAF

4589 posts since 13 Jan, 2003, from Kent, UK

Postby GaryG; Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:44 am Re: What are you watching?

SODDI wrote:"Grey Gardens" - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758751/?ref_=nv_sr_3 - starring Jessica Lange and Drew Barrymore.

Very much inspired by and based on the 1975 documentary of the same title by the Maysles brothers (who did "Gimme Shelter").
"Grey Gardens" documentary - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073076/?ref_=nv_sr_2

True story about Jackie Kennedy Onassis' cousins, Big Edie and Little Edie, who lived in a decaying mansion on Long Island, nearly entirely mad and forgotten about.

You should see this because of Jessica Lange and Drew Barrymore. Incredible acting. Never seen two people on and meshing like that.

That's interesting, love the original doc, wonder what the motivation would be to make a 'dramatic' presentation of it...? I guess they must be bringing something new to the table?

But that's a pet peeve of mine; why bother with biopics etc when a decent documentary will be infinitely more interesting/informative. Almost like some producers think the only way to present a story is to have a heavily dramatised version of it. Maybe commercially more lucrative...
()_()
(O.o)
(")(")
osiris
KVRAF

7319 posts since 20 Nov, 2003, from Lost and Spaced

Postby osiris; Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:26 am Re: What are you watching?

I don't know, but I loved both of them. Lange and Barrymore gave star performances, and while the doc showed the hideous now, the movie had the luxury of flashbacks which drove home the point about how wonderful their lives were. Still don't really understand WHAT happened to bring them there.

And you're right about Emmy snubbing sci fi. My friend and I were talking about this yesterday. While it does get nods for writing and directing, Gillian Anderson is the ONLY actress from a sci fi series to ever win the award.

Anna Torv was robbed, as was John Noble. (As was Andrew Lincoln, as was name your Walking Dead actor)....
osiris
KVRAF

Postby osiris; Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:27 am Re: What are you watching?

Oh, almost forgot. The Wolf Of Wall Street. LOVED it. Still amazing that this was a true story.
SODDI
KVRAF

2623 posts since 2 Jul, 2007, from Oxycontin Acres, Georgia, USA

Postby SODDI; Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:35 pm Re: What are you watching?

osiris wrote:I don't know, but I loved both of them. Lange and Barrymore gave star performances, and while the doc showed the hideous now, the movie had the luxury of flashbacks which drove home the point about how wonderful their lives were. Still don't really understand WHAT happened to bring them there.

And you're right about Emmy snubbing sci fi. My friend and I were talking about this yesterday. While it does get nods for writing and directing, Gillian Anderson is the ONLY actress from a sci fi series to ever win the award.

Anna Torv was robbed, as was John Noble. (As was Andrew Lincoln, as was name your Walking Dead actor)....

I personally didn't think much of Anna Torv - I suspect that she only got the gig because she was Rupert Murdoch's niece. "Fringe" was a huge disappointment to me after the second season.

Michelle Dockery's nomination is interesting (a very small nod to the Brits)... I usually run and hide when "Downton Abbey" is on, but she IS good. Unfortunately, I take one look at her and say "Hey, that's Susan, the granddaughter of Death in "Hogfather"!"

What is really getting me is the self-congratulatory adulation being heaped on "House of Cards", with Beau Willimon getting called the "creator" of the series. That's not what "creator" means to me.

"House of Cards" was a series of novels by Michael Dobbs first. Michael Dobbs is THE creator. I don't see him getting nominated for any Emmies. Then it was made into 3 BBC television miniseries with Ian Richardson. The Netflix "House of Cards" is an adaptation of the BBC mineseries and Kevin Spacey bases a lot of his schtick as Frank Urquhart on Richardson's portrayal. Willimon is, at best, second adaptor.

U.S. production often play fast and loose with credits, but this kind of stuff makes me pig-biting mad. It is just not true and it does not credit the real creators. "The Departed" is entirely based on the Chinese Triad film "Infernal Affairs", written by Alan Mak and Felix Chong. But when William Monahan won the Academy Award for best adapted screenplay, Mak and Chong's names were never mentioned.

Pardon me, I'm off to record "I Am The Walrus" and call myself the creator of that song.
hibidy
KVRAF

40741 posts since 20 Dec, 2005

Postby hibidy; Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:43 pm Re: What are you watching?

Saw "mission impossible ghost protocol"

Other than it was of course UTTERLY impossible, it was entertaining. I expected it to be really bad.
e@rs
KVRist

374 posts since 15 Dec, 2011, from Bucharest, Romania

Postby e@rs; Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:10 pm Re: What are you watching?

'Transcendence' - boring.
hibidy
KVRAF

Postby hibidy; Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:19 pm Re: What are you watching?

Is it a tim burton movie? :hihi:
V0RT3X
KVRAF

4046 posts since 3 Jul, 2012

Postby V0RT3X; Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:19 am Re: What are you watching?

GaryG
KVRAF

Postby GaryG; Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:30 am Re: What are you watching?

Normally don't give a hoot about awards but thought I'd take a peek at the Emmys after all this talk...

...happy to see Fargo well and truly recognised (yeah, wobbled at times but probably my fave tv of the year) though don't understand how they decide 'leading' and 'supporting' in the acting awards.

I know billing is often part of an actors contract, thrashed out by their agents but how do they decide someone wasn't leading but just supporting? In Fargos case I think it's daft Alison Tolman is nominated for best supporting actress where she probably had more screen time than Martin Freeman and was arguably the core/heart of the whole show. And, there were no other women more prominent so...? The star billing of Freeman and Thornton means she can't be deemed a lead or something?
()_()
(O.o)
(")(")
hibidy
KVRAF

Postby hibidy; Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:33 am Re: What are you watching?

I dunno. I think that there is more snubbing in that category than there should be.

Orphan Black is by far one of the best shows that has been out in the last couple of years. SNUB CITY. It's just the bias of the board......
GaryG
KVRAF

Postby GaryG; Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:44 am Re: What are you watching?

hibidy wrote:... Orphan Black ...

I have nothing queued up at the moment apart from the new season of Falling Skies soon so really don't have an excuse to not try and catch up OB now, wish me luck... :)
()_()
(O.o)
(")(")
hibidy
KVRAF

Postby hibidy; Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:03 am Re: What are you watching?

Now watching.........."extant"

I like it so far. Was surprised it has the dude from "helix" in it. You know, halle still looks pretty damn good ;)
osiris
KVRAF

Postby osiris; Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:15 am Re: What are you watching?

The Conspiracy. Run. Ignore this movie. What a waste of time. I fast forwarded through half of it. This would be next to Ephemeral piece of fluff in the dictionary.

OTH, Silicon Valley. Which I liked, but I've liked everything Mike Judge has ever done.

Re-watching Buffy The Vampire Slayer. The hair and clothes are weird and also strange to see a bunch of kids without cellphones, but I love Whedon. Favorite line:
Anointed One:
HATE that girl!
D.H. Miltz
D.H. MOD

8286 posts since 20 Jun, 2008

Postby D.H. Miltz; Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:05 pm Re: What are you watching?

D.H. Miltz wrote:Satan's Brew.
I liked it.

Watched No One Lives and V/H/S. Didn't care for either of them.

First up tonight: Faust. [Edit: Not bad, but disappointing. Not sure I could say why.]
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Off Topic