Best reverb, for all jobs? (ongoing process)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic

crashedthecar wrote:Hey Hibidy, the verb sounds pretty good.
Could you post a dry version of the soundbite above.
I want to try a couple on it.
This could be fun. Maybe post the file with the settings used with the Hofa verb if it's not too much trouble.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

I think I can do that but I might have made a change to the guitar sound

Hmmmmmm. I can't find the project. Maybe I didn't save it :x

hibidy wrote:Hmmmmmm. I can't find the project. Maybe I didn't save it :x
It's because it wasn't you... They got there first!

Oh it was me, who else wanks uselessly like that :hihi:

hibidy wrote:Oh it was me, who else wanks uselessly like that :hihi:
Depending who you ask, I'm sure there's lots of "uesless" wanking. :ud:

hibidy wrote:
jancivil wrote:But, this can't be 0 latency, that effect is going to be wambly in Ableton.
The Hofa is good so far. I keep thinking it's gonna rear it's ugly head though.
You mean high latency per Ableton? Yeah, I would not do cute things with time such as I showed you. I think even with the long tails I would not like a discrepancy of 512 samples. But VSL Convolution Reverb can be 0 latency. Hybrid cannot, it would cause stability issues much below the default 512, I never changed it. Some people have setups where they raise it.
Never used Live, don't want to now that I know about the compensation lack.

I really love Reflect by Virsyn. Convolution-algorithmic hybrid. Sounds great on everything and won't break the bank.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

jancivil wrote:
hibidy wrote:
jancivil wrote:But, this can't be 0 latency, that effect is going to be wambly in Ableton.
The Hofa is good so far. I keep thinking it's gonna rear it's ugly head though.
You mean high latency per Ableton? Yeah, I would not do cute things with time such as I showed you. I think even with the long tails I would not like a discrepancy of 512 samples. But VSL Convolution Reverb can be 0 latency. Hybrid cannot, it would cause stability issues much below the default 512, I never changed it. Some people have setups where they raise it.
Never used Live, don't want to now that I know about the compensation lack.
I try not to "f...k" with that stuff too much. There are some long atmospheric type impulses that are made for that. HOWEVER, in experimenting those longer IR's are not cooperating very well. Hopefully tomorrow they'll get back to me about my concerns.

zerocrossing wrote:I really love Reflect by Virsyn. Convolution-algorithmic hybrid. Sounds great on everything and won't break the bank.
Seems to me I remember demoing it once, doesn't it require elicenser? (I think it used to)

Okay, so I got hooked and read bits and pieces from the thread... I have to admit that I wasn't aware of HOFA's IQ-Reverb plugin.

Now that I've looked at it, the only useful thing I see included is the "positioner" feature which is not all that relevant outside of sound design. The money is not an exuberant amount for a good reverb, but I personally don't see the reason to buy it other than it looks cool... that 3D centerpiece looks lovely but not exactly the most useful tool (outside of sound design work, and even then it's still a bit gimicky).

If I'm going to spend good money on a convolution reverb it's because it comes with an amazing set of IR's (like Altiverb).

Otherwise, Reverberate is an amazing tool (with an ugly, ugly interface, IMO of course) and extremely affordable. For the money saved, you can easily spend on expanding your IR library.

Otherwise, for algo reverbs there are so many choices and I think Sean makes some great points (many of them over my head). Grainy reverbs definitely have their place as do reverbs full of character like VVV, which I just picked up. I also love 2Caudio's Aether but for more pristine realistic settings (even though yes, they are 100% fake). I had ValhallaRoom before (and will probably be picking it up again soon) and I think between VRoom, VVV, Aether and Convo reverb (I use Reverberate) I will be happy. I doubt I could ever just use one since there are so many different results among reverbs and they all can work in a project.

I hope you don't think I like it because of the GUI?

No, the sound cannot be denied. I'm not sure WHY that particular IR machine is so good, but there is nothing about the sound that sucks. In fact, I can't get it to sound bad :hihi:

I'll make another few clips in a few with some dry and wet. Please forgive my guitar playing in advance! :pray:

Alright, I admit, I'm not very good at this game. Crashed and Bill asked for a blank copy. Then "settings" (one of you asked) but the IR's are in Hofa. So the settings are irrelevant, but again, not sure if following.

I haven't felt the need to go beyond MMultiBandConvolution http://www.meldaproduction.com/plugins/ ... onvolution

Using the excellent free IRs that are scattered over the net.

You can split a load of bands and apply different FX, it has EQ and modulation galore for each split. It is insanely powerful for the price. I must be ignorant and not know any better I suppose. It is even decent on the cpu.

I can really bring a drum sound alive with this. It's hard to get it wrong. It's not expensive either. I also use Reverberate LE now and again, but being able to fine tune any particular band and eq it is all the power I need. That and being able to apply different amounts of dry/wet signal to each band. It is a sound designers dream. I mainly use it for drum stuff though.

It is also a hundred Euros cheaper than the Hofa one. Then again, it ain't as pretty that's for sure...

You can tweak the look, though. I need to check that one out again, I own it in a bundle.

Return to “Effects”