Delay sends: techniques / uses / suggested settings

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Another Idea is copy an instrument or audio into two instances, pan them hard left and right. Then add a delay to each via send or insert for full control of the stereo field with different delay rates. It gets really wild once you start building chains afterwords with phasers, tremolos or other types of modulations.

Also I'm thinking either 1/4 D or 1/4 T would equal 3/16 or 5/16?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

mysticvibes wrote:
Also I'm thinking either 1/4 D or 1/4 T would equal 3/16 or 5/16?
If you're that bothered about timings and all that crotchety hemi-demi-semi-quaver stuff, then check out Analogic Delay or even Bionic Supa Delay - they have them on the front panel so you can see what the timings are:

http://www.interruptor.ch/vst_donationware.shtml

It would help if I knew the timings for 1/4 or 3/16 are then I would consider using them however timings is contingent on tempo so no point memorizing values ranging 70-150 bpm? Those are some good delays though.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

mysticvibes wrote:It would help if I knew the timings for 1/4 or 3/16 are then I would consider using them however timings is contingent on tempo so no point memorizing values ranging 70-150 bpm? Those are some good delays though.
Maybe I don't understand what you're saying, but the timings for 1/4 or 3/16 are just that: 1/4 and 3/16 of a measure, if you have the delay locked to the host's tempo. You don't have to "memorize" how many milliseconds 1/4 or 3//16 of a measure is if your delay is locked to the host's tempo.

If you really want to know what the millisecond value is, check out this site: http://www.thewhippinpost.co.uk/tools/d ... ulator.htm. Here you'll find out how to calculate whatever you want, or the site will do it for you.

And as some have mentioned here, sometimes it's good not to have your delay locked "in perfect sync" to the host. Let it drift a bit out of sync. It can make parts sound a bit more "organic", or at least draw some attention to them.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

planetearth wrote: And as some have mentioned here, sometimes it's good not to have your delay locked "in perfect sync" to the host. Let it drift a bit out of sync. It can make parts sound a bit more "organic", or at least draw some attention to them.

Steve
Well, Dub uses a lot of triplets, but it goes deeper than that. You can use straight quarter note delays as well which are bang on the beat. A lot of 'DigiDub' tracks seem to do that. There is a spot where it isn't a triplet or in or out, it just fits with the music depending on all the intricate parts that make it up. And what works for that section of the music may not work at all for a later verse or chorus.

So I don't get hung up on quarter notes or whatever, I just turn the knob till it sounds good.

mysticvibes wrote:It would help if I knew the timings for 1/4 or 3/16 are then I would consider using them however timings is contingent on tempo so no point memorizing values ranging 70-150 bpm? Those are some good delays though.
I am also missing the point. You do know what a quarter note or eighth note sounds like I assume. I'm sure I wouldn't be able to tell a 3/16 if you held a gun to my head, but quarter notes and the like and their triplets are pretty straightforward once you get accustomed to them. Anyway, why don't you look up the corresponding Crotchet/Quarter note/Symbol that is on those delays, I don't have a clue about all that, but it must be easy to look up and that would be the same as saying 1/4 notes, 1/8 notes. That is why I pointed you to those delays.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarter_note

But maybe I misunderstood you.

I was thinking about echomania where delay value is set milliseconds and the standart 1/4 1/4t scheme and not from ranges 1-16 as in one of orion's internal fx. I'm trying to figure out what is equal to 3/16 or 5/16 when using 1/4 timings as an example whether its dotted or triplets. I checked out Analogic Delay or even Bionic Supa Delay but all i noticed for delay time are parameter from 0-75 so I'm not sure what codec spurt was trying to say?

Edit* i see the delays come with dotted and triplets icons but don't see hows its any different from just selecting the t or d ones from rate options on other vst. In any case its no big deal I'm just going to stream to wave a single hit sample and try to match them until i find which one is equavalent. :)

Edit* 3/16 is equal to 1/8 D :D
So a D adds 1/16th note and and T subtracts a 1/16

TTU Youtube

Return to “Effects”