Pink Floyd To Release First New Album in 20 Years

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

morelia wrote:
robojam wrote:Actually I've liked Waters' solo projects much more than Gilmour's, especially Amused to Death.
Not really a fan of RW or DG solo albums. Except for Amused to Death. That is one of my favorite all time albums. Jeff Beck was awesome.
Hm, I don't know that one. I'll have to check it out. I have to say that for me Pink Floyd had a steady incline in quality that peaked with The Wall. I remembered going to see the movie and my friend and I sat through two consecutive showings.

After that it was like they fell off a cliff. The Final Cut sounded to me like things they felt weren't good enough for The Wall but the record company pushed them out hoping to squeeze a little more money out of the dear boy. I think they call that, "riding the gravy train." :hihi: Pros and Cons was terrible and Gilmore's About Face was spotty at best. After that the stuff I heard on the radio did nothing for me so I stopped buying their albums. Are there some hidden gems on them?

I do have to say that of all my guitar influences, I think David Gilmore has to be the strongest. I just love his style and tone.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:
morelia wrote:
robojam wrote:Actually I've liked Waters' solo projects much more than Gilmour's, especially Amused to Death.
Not really a fan of RW or DG solo albums. Except for Amused to Death. That is one of my favorite all time albums. Jeff Beck was awesome.
Hm, I don't know that one. I'll have to check it out. I have to say that for me Pink Floyd had a steady incline in quality that peaked with The Wall. I remembered going to see the movie and my friend and I sat through two consecutive showings.
I think one of the things that makes Pros and Cons not so interesting is Clapton's presence. He isn't Gilmour by any means, and it's just not interesting guitar work.

Beck is great on Amused to Death though, and really breathed some life into the guitar parts that was missing from the other Waters solo stuff.

robojam wrote: ... Beck is great on Amused to Death though, and really breathed some life into the guitar parts that was missing from the other Waters solo stuff.
just listening again to 'Amused To Death'. Jeff Beck does some good spice indeed, but the songs don't move me except 'Late Home Tonight Pt.1'.
"It dreamed itself along"

mellotronaut wrote:
robojam wrote: ... Beck is great on Amused to Death though, and really breathed some life into the guitar parts that was missing from the other Waters solo stuff.
just listening again to 'Amused To Death'. Jeff Beck does some good spice indeed, but the songs don't move me except 'Late Home Tonight Pt.1'.
Although any of the faults of the album are rectified in my mind by the suggestion that the slamming of a piano lid will break Andrew Lloyd Webber's f**king fingers. :hihi:
Last edited by robogone on Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:lol: in this case Webber does better than Dylan

It's kind of weird that IMO Waters solo efforts got better with each release, but with most artists their early work is often better than the later stuff.

Pros and Cons isn't bad, but just boring. Radio Kaos is an improvement, and to me Amused is his best solo effort.

If you can handle his misanthropy and depressing themes without slicing your wrists. John Lennon did the angst as art thing on one album--Plastic Ono Band. Waters made a fetish of it. I have Amused To Death. Haven't listened to it all the way through in almost 20 years. I didn't realize it was Beck on guitar, so that explains the only element that I find redeeming about it.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Lennon did it much better though. It was on the back of Primal Scream therapy and he decided to let loose when he recorded the album.

robojam wrote:It's kind of weird that IMO Waters solo efforts got better with each release, but with most artists their early work is often better than the later stuff.

Pros and Cons isn't bad, but just boring. Radio Kaos is an improvement, and to me Amused is his best solo effort.
it sounds more professional and more mainstream, lyrics are obviously important. i suppose, i'll never listen to it again. :ud:

robojam wrote:Lennon did it much better though. It was on the back of Primal Scream therapy and he decided to let loose when he recorded the album.
'Plastic Ono Band' is naked and shamelessly honest narcissism, sparse instrumentation, straight to the point and this scared and/or punky voice. One of the best albums ever, imo. :love:

mellotronaut wrote:
robojam wrote:Lennon did it much better though. It was on the back of Primal Scream therapy and he decided to let loose when he recorded the album.
'Plastic Ono Band' is naked and shamelessly honest narcissism, sparse instrumentation, straight to the point and this scared and/or punky voice. One of the best albums ever, imo. :love:
By far his best album

robojam wrote:
mellotronaut wrote:
By far his best album
:tu:

i like 'Imagine' too, but then ... :zzz:

mellotronaut wrote:
robojam wrote:
mellotronaut wrote:
By far his best album
:tu:

i like 'Imagine' too, but then ... :zzz:
I'd put Imagine second, but I have to be in the mood for it. His solo albums were in general very patchy, but I definitely think his first (first real one that is) is the best.

'Two Virgins' is delayed anyway ay ay ay ay ayoko john yoko john ay ay ay ay

I've heard those albums prior to Plastic Ono Band (was it 3 of them?) and they don't strike me as interesting. I don't really consider them part of his canon.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”