Which one was harder for you? Sound designing vs Song structure(mixing, mastering etc.)

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?

Which one was harder for you?

1. Sound designing (learning synthesis (subtractive, additive, fm etc.) )
29%
2. Music structure (learning melodies, mixing, mastering)
71%

Total votes: 7

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Which one was harder for you?

This question is absurd. Please do not start threads anymore. :dog:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote:This question is absurd. Please do not start threads anymore. :dog:
I didn't have to say it! :party:

:hug:

Don't mind the DJ crowd around here, they can get a bit testy at times. :hihi:
:borg:

i really dont understand, because learning synthesis was more harder for me. Song structure is just you have to make good melodies and some mixing, mastering knowledges.

can someone tell me i'm wrong?

Any Good Username? wrote:i really dont understand, because learning synthesis was more harder for me. Song structure is just you have to make good melodies and some mixing, mastering knowledges.

Learning sound design is pretty easy. I think mixing, mastering and creating is harder.

Your not wrong, it's just different for everyone.

If you have time you can check out these free online university courses

https://www.coursera.org/courses?orderb ... cats=music

V0RT3X wrote:
Any Good Username? wrote:i really dont understand, because learning synthesis was more harder for me. Song structure is just you have to make good melodies and some mixing, mastering knowledges.

Learning sound design is pretty easy. I think mixing, mastering and creating is harder.

Is it because of melody making? because mixing and mastering is easy for me.

Any Good Username? wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:

I don't even know how to break down my workflow because i learned everything sort of randomly. I never followed any formal education, i taught myself from video tutorials, experimenting *LOTS*, and using my ears for about 11 years now.

I could have probably saved a lot of time by going a formal route. It would have saved me lots of time, but who knows i probably would have not learned what i have learned so far. As far as sound design goes I can hear lots of complex stuff now and know ways in my head to reproduce similar results. It's kind of distracting when i'm complexing on non musical things and a song plays on the radio.. lol

Neither (fish) :shrug:

thecontrolcentre wrote:Neither (fish) :shrug:
Fish or something like that. Neither were difficult compared to learning how to play an instrument.

V0RT3X wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:

I don't even know how to break down my workflow because i learned everything sort of randomly. I never followed any formal education, i taught myself from video tutorials, experimenting *LOTS*, and using my ears for about 11 years now.

I could have probably saved a lot of time by going a formal route. It would have saved me lots of time, but who knows i probably would have not learned what i have learned so far. As far as sound design goes I can hear lots of complex stuff now and know ways in my head to reproduce similar results. It's kind of distracting when i'm complexing on non musical things and a song plays on the radio.. lol
No that's not what i'm talking about, i'm just considering if i didn't learn music structure properly, i know how to make melody, know how to use some effects, mixing, mastering. is there more than this?

V0RT3X wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:

No that's not what i'm talking about, i'm just considering if i didn't learn music structure properly, i know how to make melody, know how to use some effects, mixing, mastering. is there more than this?

Well it depends.. on what you want to do and what kind of music you intend to create. If you decide to produce Glitch/IDM stuff you'll find the workflow in song sound design is very very different from doing something like making generic EDM.

Also you can't really have mastered mixing and mastering unless you went and got a degree in it :P It's some seriously deep shit.

Ok this is new question.

If i separate music as 2 parts,

1. melody making,

2. all other stuffs (sound making, mixing etc.)

which one do you think is most harder?

Any Good Username? wrote:Ok this is new question.

If i separate music as 2 parts,

1. melody making,

2. all other stuffs (sound making, mixing etc.)

which one do you think is most harder?
How about you just go make music? All of it can be hard, it just depends on what your doing. :tu:

its all hard, it gets easier though
Sincerely,
Zethus, twin son of Zeus

Return to “Production Techniques”