VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Drop

^^^ The desperation is palpable... ;0)

... and inconsolable...

toothnclaw wrote:
Especially the shhhh-shhhhhushing sounds hideous to this pair of ears. It actually drowns out the audio it's supposed to filter! And it doesn't sound like resonance but like pink noise!

It's supposedly to be a functionality demo…not a sound quality one. Those of us who have really spent the time to get to know The Drop ( and render at the high sample rates necessary with any plug to generate overdrive and frequency range modulation without aliasing ), know that the sound quality is truly unmatched for overdriven, high resonance, borderline abusive analog filtering. I was more spoiled than I realized in my early days of production ( didn't even realize we had an analog filter under the hood of our DW6000 ) and this plug has truly been a breakthrough for me to be able to create those sounds again. Even used lightly it's given me that pro sounding high end "sparkle" without harshness thats so difficult to achieve when working exclusively "in the box".

Haters gonna hate I guess. I think maybe some people just don't want to accept the processor hit that is truly necessary to achieve this level of quality…

Im feeling 8th July would be a great release date.

Notihing to do with it being my birthday and having the week off work to PLAY ;)
Amazon: why not use an alternative

andy-cytomic wrote:Ok, finished the step sequencer and here is a little video showing off what it can do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iXU6VdhK94

WOW :clap: Now that is a beautiful step sequencer. Huge talent from Andy, as always.

So what's happening with this plugin? Last time I checked in there was going to be a new beta in a few weeks, yet it's still September 2013 for the last update. Is there going to be an updated demo soon? Or is it going to be released soon?

I see that modulation capabilities have been added, I think that's a great idea. It makes it into a complete filter tool that had far higher sound quality than other plugins. I'm just dying to try it out now though!

andy-cytomic wrote: I have finished the last big job, which was re-coding the entire parameter system. In The Glue every process block I re-calculate every parameter since there are only a few, and the current version of The Drop I do this as well but there are so many parameters in The Drop so it is pretty wasteful of cpu. Now only when a change is made is any cpu used, which is much better.
Does this mean it'll use more CPU when automated? As the parameters will be constantly changing. I intend to use this plugin with a lot of automation so just wondered how it is affected by this change.

Aaron Zilch wrote:toothnclaw wrote:
Especially the shhhh-shhhhhushing sounds hideous to this pair of ears. It actually drowns out the audio it's supposed to filter! And it doesn't sound like resonance but like pink noise!

It's supposedly to be a functionality demo…not a sound quality one. Those of us who have really spent the time to get to know The Drop ( and render at the high sample rates necessary with any plug to generate overdrive and frequency range modulation without aliasing ), know that the sound quality is truly unmatched for overdriven, high resonance, borderline abusive analog filtering. I was more spoiled than I realized in my early days of production ( didn't even realize we had an analog filter under the hood of our DW6000 ) and this plug has truly been a breakthrough for me to be able to create those sounds again. Even used lightly it's given me that pro sounding high end "sparkle" without harshness thats so difficult to achieve when working exclusively "in the box".

Haters gonna hate I guess. I think maybe some people just don't want to accept the processor hit that is truly necessary to achieve this level of quality…
Yes I was really just trying to show the step sequencer and make the sweeps and stabbings obvious and exaggerated, it's not meant to be an example of how you would use it in a regular song situation.

Also the original audio is an MP3 from soundcloud, and then I'm processing it through a Ladder PRD which has a differential amplifier BJT input stage (tanh like waveshaper), so your whole signal gets distorted. In other models only the high passed version gets distorted since this is the signal the input of the differential BJT input sees because of local feedback. Then on top of that I didn't use oversampling, so this makes things a bit fizzy on the top end for the video, and then that is re-encoded with youtube's audio encoding. When I do proper audio examples for the web page I do them with the highest quality setting for audio encoding in the LAME encoder, which can only just keep up with the punishing frequency content generated by large amounts of self oscillation and fm in The Drop.
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

99.9%emptyspace wrote:
andy-cytomic wrote:Ok, finished the step sequencer and here is a little video showing off what it can do:

WOW :clap: Now that is a beautiful step sequencer. Huge talent from Andy, as always.
Thanks!

Really looking forward to being able to use the sequencer.....looks like a load of fun!

This is VERY impressive!

And, OMG, prime numbers :oops:

I was daydreaming the other day and I imagined that the next Cytomic plugin was called "The Fold" and was an analog modelled triple wavefolder. That's clever because, you know, the glue, the drop, the fold... see what I did there? When the thing happened with the words?
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Simulant wrote:
andy-cytomic wrote: I have finished the last big job, which was re-coding the entire parameter system. In The Glue every process block I re-calculate every parameter since there are only a few, and the current version of The Drop I do this as well but there are so many parameters in The Drop so it is pretty wasteful of cpu. Now only when a change is made is any cpu used, which is much better.
Does this mean it'll use more CPU when automated? As the parameters will be constantly changing. I intend to use this plugin with a lot of automation so just wondered how it is affected by this change.
It will use slightly more cpu when you automate parameters, but in the current plugin all parameters are calculated every block which uses lots more cpu. So the new system will lower that amount to zero when nothing is going on, and it will increase to around 1/8th of the current cpu when every parameter is automated.

There is minimal cpu overhead to process the smoothing, as it is all batched together with a very efficient algorithm, the current plugin doesn't batch the smoothing together so is nowhere near as efficient. There are 65 parameters that are smoothed, but in the new version only when they are automated will the smoothing be calculated. The other 52 parameters are buttons or mode selectors so don't require smoothing since they should be stepped.

Simulant wrote:So what's happening with this plugin? Last time I checked in there was going to be a new beta in a few weeks, yet it's still September 2013 for the last update. Is there going to be an updated demo soon? Or is it going to be released soon?

I see that modulation capabilities have been added, I think that's a great idea. It makes it into a complete filter tool that had far higher sound quality than other plugins. I'm just dying to try it out now though!
I'm still putting together the update, it is basically a re-write of the entire plugin. When I have finished the final dsp and framework coding and it is just presets and packaging to go I will make an announcement for the release date.

Return to “Effects”