What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

andy-cytomic
KVRian

1422 posts since 3 Dec, 2008

Postby andy-cytomic; Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:55 pm Re: Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

News update: While working on the glide smoothing algorithm for the low pass and high pass cutoffs I sorted out a slightly better version of my dynamic smoothing algorithm, but in the process realised it was a great sounding resonant filter structure in its own right.

It's halfway between a Sallen Key and State Variable filter in tone, here is a quick rundown:
Sallen Key: Warm tone, growling resonance which gets drowned out with large drive
State Variable: Cleaner tone, cleaner resonance which stays strong with large drive
1/2 way between the two: Warm tone with growling resonance that stays strong with large drive

It is a non-linear variation on a Sallen Key, but I've not seen this exact structure before in any schematics, I came up with the idea independently, but I am not ruling out it may already exist since there have been a lot of people making a lot of resonant filter circuits for a long time. I am thinking of calling it SMP, (S)tate Variable (M)S20 (P)artnership, which by coincidence happens to also be some of the letters from my surname :tu:

PS: It is already implemented and will be released in the new version of The Drop in both high pass and low pass, 2 and 4 pole, and it will provide yet another sonic variation to choose from to either subtly sculpt or drastically distort your audio.

So now the filter list is the following, all of which are in 2 pole and 4 pole low and high pass:
MS1 (Sallen Key MS10)
MS2 (Sallen Key MS20)
SMP (State Variable / Sallen Key blend)
OSR (State Variable OSCar)
SHJ (Cascade OTA SH/Juno blend)
PRD (Transistor Ladder Prodigy)
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com
Synth Squad - www.fxpansion.com
ftech
KVRian

544 posts since 7 Oct, 2004, from Australia

Postby ftech; Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:31 pm Re: Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

The news on The Drop just keeps getting better and better!
sqigls
KVRian

1375 posts since 24 Dec, 2004, from Melbourne, Australia

Postby sqigls; Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:10 pm Re: Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

andy-cytomic wrote:...It is already implemented and will be released in the new version of The Drop...

:hyper:
I hope it comes with something to clean up the DROOL :P
Looking forward :)
andy-cytomic
KVRian

Postby andy-cytomic; Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:18 pm Re: Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

Here is an quick example to show the tonal difference when you drive the resonance between the MS2 / SMP / OSR (in that order):

http://cytomic.com/files/thedrop-ms2-smp-osr-lp2.mp3
Yorrrrrr
KVRist

142 posts since 25 Sep, 2011, from Cartagena - Colombia

Postby Yorrrrrr; Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:01 pm Re: Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

Nice! This amazing filter plugin is coming along nicely. I admire the passion, hard work and extreme detail you've put into this Andy.

Andy, have you considered adding some kind of acid, 303-like/emulation filter or is it there already? (excuse my ignorance if I'm saying something stupid, please)
andy-cytomic
KVRian

Postby andy-cytomic; Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:55 pm Re: Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

Yorrrrrr wrote:Nice! This amazing filter plugin is coming along nicely. I admire the passion, hard work and extreme detail you've put into this Andy.

Andy, have you considered adding some kind of acid, 303-like/emulation filter or is it there already? (excuse my ignorance if I'm saying something stupid, please)

There are a bunch of other filters I would like to do at some stage as some kind of paid for add on pack, diode ladders like the EMS / 303, the Synthacon (Steiner Parker) sallen key, and some of the CEM / SSM filter chips all deserve some attention. This won't happen for a while since I want to do some other plugins first.
risome
KVRAF

1765 posts since 30 Oct, 2006, from Australia, NSW

Postby risome; Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:46 pm Re: Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

Not long then Andy till The Drop is fully released ?
www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for ACE,PREDATOR,SYNPLANT,SUB BOOM BASS,PUNCH
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and Ableton LIVE Packs
http://syikom.wordpress.com/ my blog
Breeze
KVRAF

1657 posts since 13 Oct, 2002

Postby Breeze; Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:01 pm Re: Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

andy-cytomic wrote:There are a bunch of other filters I would like to do at some stage as some kind of paid for add on pack, diode ladders like the EMS / 303, the Synthacon (Steiner Parker) sallen key, and some of the CEM / SSM filter chips all deserve some attention. This won't happen for a while since I want to do some other plugins first.

:tu: Dodged another year of pre-release development! :phew:

:hihi:
BDeep
KVRAF

1722 posts since 13 Feb, 2012, from Amsterdam

Postby BDeep; Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:15 pm Re: Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

andy-cytomic wrote: This won't happen for a while since I want to do some other plugins first.

Suggestion: slap two oscs before the Drop filters and call it the Rise, please? ;)
masterhiggins
KVRian

580 posts since 30 Dec, 2004

Postby masterhiggins; Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:10 am Re: Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

I vote for a PPG filter. :)

-Sam
Colonel Flashback
KVRian

774 posts since 12 Feb, 2005, from the Houmfort

Postby Colonel Flashback; Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:20 am Re: Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

oh yeah, 303 filter - gimme gimme gimme!
nrosko
KVRist

71 posts since 18 Sep, 2006

Postby nrosko; Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:09 am Re: Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

Great work this is turning out to be much better than i ever expected. Its like we are getting a version 2 for free. I would definitely support more add-ons in the future Andy but can't wait much longer for this next version.
p.s has anyone in history died due to waiting for a plugin release? i think i'm about to.
highkoo
KVRAF

3078 posts since 25 Jun, 2004

Postby highkoo; Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:48 pm Re: Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

Ive subscribed/unsubscribed to this thread like four times.
dayjob
KVRian

687 posts since 6 Nov, 2006

Postby dayjob; Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:37 pm Re: Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

wow! even more in the drop. can't wait
V0RT3X
KVRAF

4147 posts since 3 Jul, 2012

Postby V0RT3X; Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:40 pm Re: Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

When will the Drop.. actually drop?

:hihi:
Having the best tools and technical knowledge isn't gonna do much for you if you don't understand how to make good music.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Effects