What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Your host/DAW of choice (Poll)

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

What is your host (DAW) of choice?

Reaper
23%
Mu-Lab
2%
FL Studio
8%
Sony Acid
0%
Cubase
16%
Ableton Live
12%
Reason
1%
Studio One
15%
Buzz
1%
Samplitude
2%
Zynewave Podium
1%
Renoise
2%
Orion
1%
Cakewalk Sonar
5%
Nanostudio
0%
Mixcraft
1%
Mixman
0%
NI Maschine
1%
Logic
6%
Pro Tools
1%
OhmStudio
0%
Caustic
0%

Total votes : 944
billcarroll
KVRian

1348 posts since 9 Dec, 2011, from falling

Postby billcarroll; Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:06 am Re: Your host/DAW of choice (Poll)

HobbyCore wrote:
billcarroll wrote:
HobbyCore wrote:
billcarroll wrote:
jumper24 wrote:Little off tropic....
which daw has the best realtime "per clip effects" system? (and with the ability to render and to "unlock"/go back to a online state ?)

- I have cubase - but want a daw for my laptop without dongle + cubase´s per clip effect is very oldschool, and is only a offline process.

If I understand your question, Studio One.

Samplitude is BY FAR superior to Studio One in this regard.

Really? Do tell.

You can start here and go through the series if you want to learn more:
Code: Select all
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6x96-p7buY

In samplitude, each object is essentially its own track. It can have its own automation, effects, sends, takes, position information, gain AND volume etc...

The event FX in Studio One is neat, but it just doesn't compare. It offers you about 1/10th of the capabilities of the object system in Samplitude.

Edit: WTF, I don't want to embed the video. I even encapsulated it in url tags. I'm being format-raped! :help:

Cool, thanks for sharing. I like the versatility the offer per "object" and that you can bounce effects and then undo later if you need to.

ps ... there might be other ways too, but the only way I know how to control what happens with a URL is to use the code tag.
jumper24
KVRist

56 posts since 12 Mar, 2005

Postby jumper24; Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:14 am Re: Your host/DAW of choice (Poll)

Reaper
Tracktion
Samplitude
Studio One
All has "per object effects" with freeze/undo feature.. (and while samplitude has more feature, it only has 5 insert slots)

a shame that bitwig or live does not.

Let the tests begin.. Studio One is Cubase alike, so it would be easy to switch to that.
HobbyCore
KVRist

403 posts since 5 Dec, 2007, from Location! Location!

Postby HobbyCore; Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:51 am Re: Your host/DAW of choice (Poll)

jumper24 wrote:(and while samplitude has more feature, it only has 5 insert slots)

I've heard this as a criticism in regards to cubase's limited inserts as well.

What exactly are you guys doing where 5 inserts per object or 8 per track is an issue? I run some very complex projects and I can count the number of times where I've used that many plugins on a track on a single hand.

I suppose perhaps that this is more prevalent in VI-centric music? Inform me please.

They have clip-based FX automation, which allows you similar functionality. Particularly when using dummy clips and effects racks/chains.
HanafiH
KVRian

1215 posts since 5 Mar, 2001, from London, UK

Postby HanafiH; Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:58 am Re: Your host/DAW of choice (Poll)

There is no limit to the number of insert effects in either a track or an object in samplitude.

The Object Editor typically shows the top 5 and the mixer either top 4 or 8 to taste. If you open the effect routing dialog you can add as many as doesn't crash your computer.
Frantz
KVRAF

2701 posts since 18 Jul, 2008, from New York

Postby Frantz; Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:26 am Re: Your host/DAW of choice (Poll)

HobbyCore wrote:Edit: WTF, I don't want to embed the video. I even encapsulated it in url tags. I'm being format-raped! :help:

You can prevent embedding for YouTube videos with this kind of URL:

http://youtu.be/z6x96-p7buY
Fragile Gods: SoundCloud | Facebook
LawrenceF
KVRAF

4560 posts since 4 Dec, 2004

Postby LawrenceF; Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:13 pm Re: Your host/DAW of choice (Poll)

HanafiH wrote:There is no limit to the number of insert effects in either a track or an object in samplitude.

The Object Editor typically shows the top 5 and the mixer either top 4 or 8 to taste. If you open the effect routing dialog you can add as many as doesn't crash your computer.

Good to know.

I do think the objection to Cubase limiting inserts and sends is more philosophical than actual. I mean, there are situations where the 6 pre-fader slots and 8 sends aren't enough, probably not an issue for most people, but the main point is why have such an artificial limitation at all?

If some guy has a creative use for 10 plugins on a track, go for it. The software should not prohibit that.
BDeep
KVRAF

1733 posts since 13 Feb, 2012, from Amsterdam

Postby BDeep; Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:33 pm Re: Your host/DAW of choice (Poll)

jumper24 wrote:Reaper
Tracktion
Samplitude
Studio One
All has "per object effects" with freeze/undo feature.. (and while samplitude has more feature, it only has 5 insert slots)

Wow yeah! Never thought of that, that would make perfect sense in Live.
Although, you can get there by making instrument or effect racks and so something in automation per clip so each clip uses a different slot in the rack...
hibidy
KVRAF

41489 posts since 20 Dec, 2005

Postby hibidy; Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:23 pm Re: Your host/DAW of choice (Poll)

Studio one back on top :lol:

People jus be f...in' wit us now :hihi:
mysticvibes
KVRian

1108 posts since 2 Oct, 2008

Postby mysticvibes; Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:00 pm Re: Your host/DAW of choice (Poll)

Another quick question about studio one: How do I delete an instument vsti to save ram. I removed alot of the vsti in a song i'm working to save ram and it removed it from playlist window but minimal improvement in ram, even if I remove all instrument there is still alot of ram being used. When I go to the mixer I still see the instruments there and unsure how to delete them. Sorry for such a newbie question.
thunderkyss
KVRist

65 posts since 23 Oct, 2003, from Port Arthur, TX

Postby thunderkyss; Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:07 pm Re: Your host/DAW of choice (Poll)

HobbyCore wrote:
billcarroll wrote:
jumper24 wrote:Little off tropic....
which daw has the best realtime "per clip effects" system? (and with the ability to render and to "unlock"/go back to a online state ?)

- I have cubase - but want a daw for my laptop without dongle + cubase´s per clip effect is very oldschool, and is only a offline process.

If I understand your question, Studio One.

Samplitude is BY FAR superior to Studio One in this regard.

They ought to be... they've been doing per object effects for over a decade... way before anyone else.
fedexnman
KVRian

1342 posts since 3 Jan, 2005

Postby fedexnman; Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:10 pm Re: Your host/DAW of choice (Poll)

I wonder how many new users , user accounts , and names etc. etc. Since this poll thread started ? Hhhmmmmm ???? FanboyZ ...
thunderkyss
KVRist

65 posts since 23 Oct, 2003, from Port Arthur, TX

Postby thunderkyss; Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:30 pm Re: Your host/DAW of choice (Poll)

LawrenceF wrote:
HanafiH wrote:There is no limit to the number of insert effects in either a track or an object in samplitude.

Good to know.

I do think the objection to Cubase limiting inserts and sends is more philosophical than actual. I mean, there are situations where the 6 pre-fader slots and 8 sends aren't enough, probably not an issue for most people, but the main point is why have such an artificial limitation at all?

If some guy has a creative use for 10 plugins on a track, go for it. The software should not prohibit that.

MIght have to do with the way they calculate PDC.
hibidy
KVRAF

Postby hibidy; Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:13 pm Re: Your host/DAW of choice (Poll)

edit
Last edited by hibidy on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hibidy
KVRAF

Postby hibidy; Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:15 pm Re: Your host/DAW of choice (Poll)

edit
Last edited by hibidy on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
codec_spurt
KVRAF

3417 posts since 20 Sep, 2005

Postby codec_spurt; Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:37 pm Re: Your host/DAW of choice (Poll)

mysticvibes wrote:Another quick question about studio one: How do I delete an instument vsti to save ram. I removed alot of the vsti in a song i'm working to save ram and it removed it from playlist window but minimal improvement in ram, even if I remove all instrument there is still alot of ram being used. When I go to the mixer I still see the instruments there and unsure how to delete them. Sorry for such a newbie question.

On the far left of the mixer section, click on 'Trash' - your vst is still kept there 'just in case' even if you do delete it from the track. You need to delete it from the Trash as well to be totally rid of the little bugger!

If you select 'delete track and instrument' it appears as if it has gone, but it is still in memory somewhere. This way you just click on 'restore' to reinstate it.

That is probably why you are seeing what you see with regards to the RAM.
You'll be pleased to know, I'm knocking it all on the head.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)