Why do things sound like crap in my car?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Are you using Reaper with a Spitfire library? :hihi:

Can car audio compare to studio audio? Most likely not.

Arglebargle wrote:Mix on monitors, quietly.
+100 !!
Use a simular volume as if you're watching TV. Then your neighbours won't complain and your mixes will translate much Much MUCH better
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Check out Focusrite VRM - which emulates certain wellknown monitors in a room.

So you can mix in headphones a little bit like mixing in monitors in a room.

It does not rule out real monitors - but maybe come closer to the final deal more quickly.

But as said - listening too loud will not tell the true story of your mix. The Munson curves for your ear show that low, mid and highs are more even and high volumes. There is a reason there are loudness-buttons on many listening devices to raise bass and treble at low volumes.

Yeah, it's fun to mix loud, but then you turn it down and a certain part sticks out. And it's like, well I didn't notice THAT before! Cuz your ears were kinda fatigued from the loud volume. And it's always good to not annoy your stupid neighbors.
Last edited by Arglebargle on Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Isn't it normal that the bass range in cars is over-emphasized (because of the small space and the many parts that respond to the bass)? Always when I hear someone with loud music in a car, it sounds like an earthquake, especially if the bass is layered with the motor sound... :scared:

Stereos in cars suck, period. I have owned cars that advertise good stereo components, and I have been in other people's cars where they have poured ridiculous amounts of money into the stereo. None of them have ever sounded good.

Bottom line is that it's a horrible space to listen in, which speaker placed in bad positions. I think you have to live with the fact that it's one of the worst spaces to listen to music in, and there's little you can do to fix it.

robojam wrote:Stereos in cars suck, period. I have owned cars that advertise good stereo components, and I have been in other people's cars where they have poured ridiculous amounts of money into the stereo. None of them have ever sounded good.

Bottom line is that it's a horrible space to listen in, which speaker placed in bad positions. I think you have to live with the fact that it's one of the worst spaces to listen to music in, and there's little you can do to fix it.
But doesn't the alarm clock go off - if your own mixes sound crap and other bought music sound much better?
:D

I mean the same reasoning can be applied to any listening device - but your home stereo - or anything mp3 compared to PCM for that matter?

Mustn't we think relative terms all the way?

As mentioned - reference music tracks - and compare.

I know what you're saying, and it probably is something deficient in your own mix, but I was pointing out that it's a really difficult environment to cater for. There are a lot of things I have listened to that sound awful in cars I have owned, but have no issues indoors.

Tricky-Loops wrote:Isn't it normal that the bass range in cars is over-emphasized (because of the small space and the many parts that respond to the bass)?

You probably just need Neil Young and a Pono player in your car. Either that or you might have high shit-pressure in your car.

"Do you know what a shit-barometer is Bubbles? It measures the shit-pressure in the air, listen Bubs you hear that? The sounds of the whispering winds of shit"
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Thats a really bad wind problem that guy has. :o
Last edited by thecontrolcentre on Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billcarroll wrote:"Do you know what a shit-barometer is Bubbles? It measures the shit-pressure in the air, listen Bubs you hear that? The sounds of the whispering winds of shit"
:tu:

:hihi:

I'd postpone the usual advice to get monitors right now,
and go out to grab a few sets of Hi-Fi speakers from a thrift shop.

What this gives you is an opportunity to reference your music across multiple playback systems
as well a chance to find some pretty accurate speakers at a great price.

Quite a few sets of older bookshelf speakers were designed and marketed with affordable accuracy in mind
(before "disproportionate bass" became the new sales pitch).
I've even found a pair of vintage studio monitors in excellent condition for $20 (!),
with the only issue being that the tweeter for one of them needed its protective fuse replaced.
Bought a pack of fuses at the grocery store for $3 and swapped it out in a matter of 5 seconds.

Anyway,
anecdote aside,
buy lots of speakers (including a Hi-Fi subwoofer!).

-Ki
Salem Beats

Return to “Production Techniques”