IKM SampleTank 3 (ST3) Now Available

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SampleTank SampleTank 3

basslinemaster wrote: Sorry, but I DO know,
how many of the people who only want a 64 bit ST2.5 player do you think are going to buy the full price ST3
How many current ST2 owners, who don't want ST3 content, do you think would buy an ST3 player for under $30?
I presume there must be tens of thousands of ST2 owners by now
what with all the sales IKM have had, that's a huge market.
That's probably thousands of current users of ST2.
For a guy that DOES know, you sure don't know much. This looks like someone holding their finger in the air to check the weather to me.
This is IKM's strategy, and it's wrong.
Because you were in the discussion room when they made this strategy...
So that's money IKM won't be getting. It's as simple as that.
And the world stops spinning and we are flung into space ... oh no

What if it would cost additional development time and support cost for those "thousands" of $30 copies? What if the net off those copies was about $15? What if 10,000 people netted them $150,000, but it cost them $175,000 to develop and support that distribution? I don't know that is the case any more than you do the other side. But, I'm just as in the know as you .. so I say I DO know and its a fact and you all know it.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

I still think asking a company to sell you an empty shell for a significant discount is odd. I think I'll see if I can get an empty PS4 shell for 100 bucks that I can stuff the internals of a PS2 into so I can run decade old games that I own (sold to me in good faith) at 1080P HDMI out.

You're missing the point: almost every other company from whom I originally bought 32 bit plugins upgraded their instruments gratis before moving onto a newer version. IKM decided to take a different route, and it has upset people who would like to use their already purchased 32 bit instruments in 64 bit hosts without needing a workaround. If that had happened, no one would be carrying pitchforks and torches.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Following IK's normal MO there will be a player at some point, but you cant blame them for recouping some development cost with the early adopters on the initial release (I am one of those people, and I don't care!). Let them get the new product out first before (and working without bugs...) before they convert it to a player version (probably distributed free with CM Magazine ;-))
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Bombadil wrote:You're missing the point: almost every other company from whom I originally bought 32 bit plugins upgraded their instruments gratis before moving onto a newer version. IKM decided to take a different route, and it has upset people who would like to use their already purchased 32 bit instruments in 64 bit hosts without needing a workaround. If that had happened, no one would be carrying pitchforks and torches.
My pitchfork is 32 bits only, how can I use it now?
;)
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

basslinemaster wrote:
jsp1979 wrote: Huh? I said right in my post: "it doesn't mean they always make the right call." I never said this decision was without a doubt the right way to go. Big companies make dumb decisions all the time. I never said they didn't. So, I guess that makes that a "strawman argument" on your part--since we're pointing out logical fallacies.

Continuing in that vein, my original post was about how your post declaring the "truth" that selling the player only would make them more money had absolutely no support. It's just your guess, but you declared it as obvious truth. It may be right, but it may be wrong. I just pointed out that I'm sure they at least considered the idea and for whatever reason, nixed it. That could be a horrible mistake....but it could actually be the smart thing to do. I don't know. You don't know either.
Sorry, but I DO know, and so do most of the rest of the people here. Just because you aren't very good at maths and simple thinking, doesn't mean the rest of us aren't.
You're definitely demonstrating something in this thread, but it isn't logic.

You do NOT know that selling the player only initially would make them *more money*. To claim otherwise is a lie. In order to say that, you'd need to demonstrate that they would sell more than 3 and 1/3 times as many $30 players as they would sell $99 versions with the library. Where's your proof? Where's your evidence outside of the "facts" you're pulling out of your behind?

As pointed out a couple of posts above, the strategy is probably this: Sell the version with the library first (and you'll get some people who only really want the engine who will buy the full deal). Introduce a player version later (if at all) to get the holdouts thereafter.

Oh, and there are definitely people hoping you'll develop Windows 9....and they all work for Apple.

For those waiting on a free version, or a low-cost "shell" version: somewhere in this thread, IKM has already mentioned such a version existing in "SE" form, but it does not support (allow) importing libraries. This sends a clear message of what the intention is.

It's possible, when a player is finally released, it will be for the custom shop version of newer libraries that can be added to it, and will still exclude importing the old libraries :shrug:

Bombadil wrote:You're missing the point: almost every other company from whom I originally bought 32 bit plugins upgraded their instruments gratis before moving onto a newer version. IKM decided to take a different route, and it has upset people who would like to use their already purchased 32 bit instruments in 64 bit hosts without needing a workaround. If that had happened, no one would be carrying pitchforks and torches.
No one is missing your point. It is inconvenient to YOU that they made their decision the way they did. However, you are trying to tie YOUR dissatisfaction to an indicator that their business case is faulty. That is not a valid analysis at all.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

SJ_Digriz wrote:
No one is missing your point. It is inconvenient to YOU that they made their decision the way they did. However, you are trying to tie YOUR dissatisfaction to an indicator that their business case is faulty. That is not a valid analysis at all.
Nope. It isn't unreasonable to expect to be treated as well as other companies (even smaller ones with fewer resources than IKM!!!) treat their customers. I've drawn the appropriate conclusions and have decided to not spend another cent on their products until I can use my current products in a 64 bit host without workarounds or hassles. I will stick to that.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

All other flagship products were made 64-bit at no cost to current users for an upgrade and in this case the preorder pricing on a major product release that is not available as a free upgrade we feel we treated our customers well by offering an incredible preorder and introductory pricing structure for such a major upgrade. SampleTank 3 was a much older program and this was a much larger and involved upgrade and you can get the official explanation of this on our forum at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/forum/viewt ... =12&t=6909 and you can also use the multiple methods of contact available to you at http://www.ikmultimedia.com if you'd like to express your dissatisfaction, comments, concerns, suggestions, etc directly with IK Multimedia as always.

I understand that you have the option to express your opinion with your wallet and that is a valid method too. Thank you for your direct input and comments on the subject as well as your actions. I also appreciate your feedback into how IK can manage its business affairs, too, and I know those suggestions are also seen by others in the company too.

Ben H wrote: Actually thinking about it some more, it's more likely that they expect people are just going to cave and buy the full ST3 anyway. :shrug:
as, of course, many will (i'm one of them) then they will release a 'player' :shrug:

Actually I think I'm going to buy the upgrade regardless of the VAT and stuff. There's no sampler/rompler I really feel 100% comfortable with and Sampletank 3 looks like it could be just the ticket. I think we're all a bit spoilt nowadays with such a plethora of great plug-ins/virtual instruments at amazing prices The first computer-based sampler I ever bought was around 1994. It Was called SampleCell 11 and it was a hardware card which fitted in the nubus slot of my Mac. It cost me about £2600 with 16 MB of RAM. It was very expensive but but I think they were very few other if any alternatives is that time. I paid a similar price for an 8 in 8 out Digidesign 16-bit interface plus card. So €79 plus VAT is peanuts really and its massively more powerful than the SampleCell ever was
Last edited by Kraznet on Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asus Z97-A| i7 4770K|32GB DDR3|Samsung 850 Pro 512 SSD System|Crucial 960gb SSD A/V|Crucial 960 SSD Samples|GTX 960 2GB|RME Raydat|Windows 10 x64, Philips 40" 4K
My Samplitude/Sequoia Tutorials are here :
http://www.youtube.com/kraznet

DarkStar wrote:My pitchfork is 32 bits only, how can I use it now?
;)
If you get a second pitchfork, that makes 64 bits, and you can create
stereo puncture marks. 8)

Today i got a message from Sweetwater. They are not able to sell IK stuff to european customers and they cancelled my order.

I just was about to buy the upgrade a lot cheaper as IK offers nowadays to have a SampleTank Engine update. IKM Sampletank was just vaporware to me over the last 2 years, never got a solution for software issues like all the other customers who bought the ST2 stuff. Very bad, i never had such problems with any other software company.

^^ did you pay via paypal ? How can they know you're an european customer ?

Return to “Instruments”