u-he The Hive still gonna happen?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Totally agree. Although i (generally) wonder if plugins need a FX section at all. I mean mostly, those aren't on par with dedicated FX plugins anyway, so why even bother with onboard FX.

chk071 wrote:Totally agree. Although i (generally) wonder if plugins need a FX section at all. I mean mostly, those aren't on par with dedicated FX plugins anyway, so why even bother with onboard FX.
Because the vast majority of people that buy simple plugins like Sylenth etc use presets right out the box and expect them to sound ready to use right out the box. There are a good amount of plugins these days that do actually have very good FX included as well, such as Predator,Omnisphere, U-he stuff etc. The other thing to consider is that some synths have FX that have a character that isn't easily replicated by other plugins (Massive's space expander, Sylenths love it or hate it distortion, Virus phaser)

I think the job of a professional sound designer is to utilise the synths FX to create a 'whole' preset rather than just slapping on some delay and reverb.

Good point. There are indeed effects which work better or worse with certain plugins. I just hope for those of us who are on a budget , it doesn't drive the costs of the plugin too much, and it's kept simple enough.

Bee patient. It's hard keeping those oscillators in tune.

Will the Hive be the first choice for making stingers? Ho ho ho...
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:Will the Hive be the first choice for making stingers? Ho ho ho...
It might stir up quite a buzzzzzz
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

Thanks Urs for the information! I am looking forward to this release as I have Diva and Ace that i love. Hope that the Hive wont send my 3ghz dual core Cpu buzzing for more power......

Regards

Tb4c
The notes you don't play creates the silent gaps for you to hear the notes you do play :phones:

I'm also very interested in the "pixie dust" aspect of supersaws, especially when the constants of the supersaw are parameterized. Dune 2 does a good job of this, but it doesn't fully satiate my inner nerd. A sliding scale between linear, logarithmic and exponential spacing of the detune, for example, would be interersting to play with, as would the ability to add a highpassing bell-curve to the sub-voices, such that outlying voices have less body, and you can tighten the curve until all waves but the center one are highpassed. Then you can obviously have a parameter to set the base cutoff from which all these other cutoffs are offset.

I really need to learn Reaktor :(
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:I really need to learn Reaktor :(
Nah, learn C.

It's sound will be sweeter than... honey? ;)

Urs wrote:
Nah, learn C.
Creating everything from scratch in a programming environment is too daunting for me. My programming sucks, but visual construction kits are a lot easier. Plus, if it's good enough for Squarepusher :hihi:

Urs wrote:
Nah, learn C.
Hey a question I always wanted to ask you:
What literature/website can you recommend for getting started with audio/DSP programming?

(How you test your programmed audio stuff? I suppose you aren't starting devlopement right in the VST SDK...
So where is a good guide on how to access the computer speakers (via ASIO at the best)? I searched on the Internet but mostly there are only recommendations for libraries that can playback samples. I want to go more in the synthesis, not (only) sample playback ;) And even better it would be if I were able to set up my own testing enviroment in C or C++ after reading this book/tutorial/whateverYouMadeGoodExperiencesWith.)

I would really like to hear what you can recommend! :tu:

I won't go into DSP books because that would be a very long answer, but for creating plugins, testing stuff etc you have to try JUCE.
The initial learning curve can be steep but it's really quite excellent.
You'd have to be mad to use the VST / AU sdk directly when starting from scratch.

u-u-u wrote:
Urs wrote:
Nah, learn C.
Hey a question I always wanted to ask you:
What literature/website can you recommend for getting started with audio/DSP programming?

(How you test your programmed audio stuff? I suppose you aren't starting devlopement right in the VST SDK...
So where is a good guide on how to access the computer speakers (via ASIO at the best)? I searched on the Internet but mostly there are only recommendations for libraries that can playback samples. I want to go more in the synthesis, not (only) sample playback ;) And even better it would be if I were able to set up my own testing enviroment in C or C++ after reading this book/tutorial/whateverYouMadeGoodExperiencesWith.)

I would really like to hear what you can recommend! :tu:
I started with VSTSDK, then switched to AU. Then rewrote all I had for an approach that is completely indifferent towards plug-in formats.

If I had to start over I would probably go with JUCE, even though I find it a bit more complicated than our inhouse solution.

Urs wrote:If I had to start over I would probably go with JUCE, even though I find it a bit more complicated than our inhouse solution.
Hey, thanks! :tu: That's a word ;)
OK, but maybe your inhouse solution is only understandable by you and your coworkers? ;)
No, just kiddin'. Maybe one day I'll have my own one. (just dreaming) :roll:

Return to “u-he”