Should i upgrade? Sampletank 3

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SampleTank SampleTank 3

I'm purchasing the upgrade tomorrow at $99+ since it goes up another $50 for the intro and then another $50 after that.
They finally made an interface that I can read and the new engine capabilities with all the effects and mixer is too good to pass up. I already have all the major ST2 add-ons, so it's a no-brainer for me.

If it had been $99 to upgrade from any previous version (the way Native Instruments allowed me to upgrade to Komplete for $199 last year from my old Kontakt), I would have been more likely to upgrade, but after so many years and so many broken promises and the demos just sounding "meh," and the upgrade policy not tempting, I'm frankly glad I went for Komplete instead of $149 for ST3. It's a $50 difference and the two products don't really compare.

BBFG# wrote:
Kraznet wrote: Give me 5 compelling reasons why I need Samplertank 3
Give us five compelling reasons or what appeals to you enough to look at STank3...

(You too, Bosone).
first thing to say is that i got ST2 in total bundle, which was bought at a bargain price and i was mainly looking at amplitube, miroslav and t-racks (ST2 and other expansion packs were a plus, not the main reason to purchase!)

main reason to think about the upgrade was actually to be able to use miroslav samples in a suitable interface, and maybe *some* of the sounds of *some* expansion tanks.
i feel that most of ST2 sounds are quite crappy (or "old", if you prefer) so I even removed them from my HDD. but some are quite interesting and usable. problem in ST2 was the crappy interface! :)

so the idea of having a new interface was appealing.
at the beginning i thought that also the sounds in ST3 could be interesting and usable but, given the price range and the other software i have (komplete, garritan orchestra, dimension pro, wusik, several other libraries), i began to think deeply about "why i need to spend 100€ on this".
so the answer was:

which samples would i use? for sure i would not use drums. first because i have NI studio drummer which is very good, and beside this, i also have steven slate drum. second because it seems that ST3 does not support separate outs for drum elements (i like kick, snare, etc on separate channels).
i would not use guitars, since i'm a guitar player.
for basses i can use either a real bass or maybe some kontakt samples. i don't like the piano demos, and i have several sampled pianos in komplete 8. beside this i just love garritan personal orchestra one.
i would maybe use e-drums but, again, i have tons of e-drums samples. regarding synths i have plenty of softsynths in Komplete 8 and using sampled synths is not so appealing to me. maybe for pads... but dimension pro and wusik are also nice for these kind of sounds (beside, again, kontakt 5 library)

loops and ethnic instruments collections seem indeed interesting but nothing i could not live without.

as i said, miroslav/orchestral samples were still the only "real" reason to upgrade

but i discovered that it will not be possible to edit my own keyswithced patches combining old miroslav programs: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/forum/viewt ... =12&t=8298
that killed my will to get ST3 just for miroslav, even if i know that a lot of pathces were converted (but not the full orchestra)

moreover i already have garritan personal and instant orchestra, kontakt 5 orchestral samples and kirk hunter solo strings. do i really need to spend 100 € to get some new orchestral samples? maybe no...

in conclusion i really don't need to spend 100€ to get 33 GB of samples i will never use, regardless of the new miroslav programs.

i can easily live without ST... or maybe think about a complete upgrade for just miroslav... who knows?

for now i will maybe continue to use miroslav sometimes in ST2 to support the rest of my orchestral samples.

:ud: Was that one reason or two?

i suppose 3 reasons
1) miroslav/orchestral sounds
2) new st3 sounds
3) using some of old st2 sounds

(but 2 and 3 could be coupled in 1 1/2 points... :D)

I'm sure some folks in this thread would be interested so I thought you might like to know that the Sounds page for SampleTank 3 has been updated and now lists all of the instruments. http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/sa ... k-3-sounds

@BBFG... wow, I though you were all over the ST3 upgrade!

I know the multi-gigs of content is a major selling point, but unless you're just starting out it's hard to get excited about that. I see that and think... damn, that's a lot of space, for a lot of content that I won't use.

All I want is access to SampleTron and Miroslav natively x64. That's not enough incentive for me to upgrade.

Still I hope they so damn well, that come out with a free player that loads the old libraries. Please don't make me buy a 32-64 bit bridge, since I'd probably just move on if that's the case.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:I'm sure some folks in this thread would be interested so I thought you might like to know that the Sounds page for SampleTank 3 has been updated and now lists all of the instruments. http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/sa ... k-3-sounds
Thanks for pointing out the sounds page. Great detail with audios of each. Also like the fact that the ST 2 XL sounds (optimized for ST 3) for a category are also listed in ST 3 respective sound category with audio demos of those also. Am hoping that the new interface will allow the ST2 sounds categories to be listed with the respective ST 3 categories for easy access. Most likely just a matter of file organization.

Musical Gym - once sounds are in SampleTank 3 format (mainly pointing this out since many will also be importing their other Powered By SampleTank libraries too) you should have more than enough organizational flexibility to organize in a way that is comfortable for your work flow.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:Musical Gym - once sounds are in SampleTank 3 format (mainly pointing this out since many will also be importing their other Powered By SampleTank libraries too) you should have more than enough organizational flexibility to organize in a way that is comfortable for your work flow.
Thanks, I forgot to ask about the ST2 XL sounds that have been optimized for ST3. Are these optimized sounds something that we need to download again since they are optimized versions? Will these newly optimized sounds appear in our IK account as optimized versions available for download?

Musical Gym wrote:
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:Musical Gym - once sounds are in SampleTank 3 format (mainly pointing this out since many will also be importing their other Powered By SampleTank libraries too) you should have more than enough organizational flexibility to organize in a way that is comfortable for your work flow.
Thanks, I forgot to ask about the ST2 XL sounds that have been optimized for ST3. Are these optimized sounds something that we need to download again since they are optimized versions? Will these newly optimized sounds appear in our IK account as optimized versions available for download?
The included ST 2 XL sounds are part of the sounds download for SampleTank 3 and will install with those.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:I'm sure some folks in this thread would be interested so I thought you might like to know that the Sounds page for SampleTank 3 has been updated and now lists all of the instruments. http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/sa ... k-3-sounds
That's too many to dig through. Any chance you could provide a summary of sounds?

I kid ... I kid ... :D
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

SJ_Digriz wrote: That's too many to dig through. Any chance you could provide a summary of sounds?

I kid ... I kid ... :D

"We've got red pianos, black pianos, mahogany pianos, sunburst guitars, black guitars, white guitars..."

perfect :party:
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
Musical Gym wrote:
The included ST 2 XL sounds are part of the sounds download for SampleTank 3 and will install with those.
I didn't realize that my old ST 2 XL sounds are part of the "new" 33 gig content. I guess I'm going to have a bunch of duplicates now. Do you have any idea how much of the content is actually recycled from ST2?

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”