If you could combine the best parts of any existing DAWs into the ultimate DAW...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Studio One's drag and drop system, if you even save a .fxp of a synth and drop it in, it loads the vsti and the patch :love: Also there musicloops preset/midi system :D

Reaper's Mixer Snapshots Extension

Samplitude's Object Based Editor

Cubase's Arranger Track

Orion's Utter Simplicity and Pattern Based Mode

Reaper's Gui or Even Studio One's Gui :tu:

Fl Studio's Piano Roll

Melodyne Integration

All these would make me quite happy :hug:
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Musical Gym wrote:No, I didn't know you are a developer. Helps to know the background of why you posed the question(s). Can we follow your development efforts somewhere?
Sure, I develop this obscure alternative-DAW + plugin suite :) :

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/pydaw-by-pydaw
(those screenshots are getting pretty out-of-date)

I'm finalizing plans right now for a huge rebranding and revamping/expansion of the product line (which is part of the reason I've dramatically scaled down my KVR presence in the past 6 months), but I was going to spend some quality time "knowing thy enemy" before I get too deep into the actual coding... Too often developers get too wrapped up in their own work, and have no idea what it is that they are actually competing against because they spend zero time using their competitors DAWs.

cool, thanks

Are you familiar with Orion. If I was just starting creating DAW's I first try something simpler and practical like that. No need for extension wave editing or audio tracks. Seems there are lots of clone's of Cubase that all look alike with same paradigm of workflow. Just need to insert vsti, piano roll, and playlist and a basic mixer.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

mysticvibes wrote:Are you familiar with Orion.
I actually bought the first ever release of Orion Platinum back when it came out in 2002(IIRC?). I pretty quickly switched to Cubase after that, and haven't really touched Orion since about 2004...
mysticvibes wrote:If I was just starting creating DAW's I first try something simpler and practical like that.
That's kind of what PyDAW is, simple and minimalist but (IMHO) everything one needs to make EDM with an efficient and streamlined workflow (and totally lacking for other genres).
mysticvibes wrote: No need for extension wave editing or audio tracks. Seems there are lots of clone's of Cubase that all look alike with same paradigm of workflow. Just need to insert vsti, piano roll, and playlist and a basic mixer.
You're right, and trust me, I totally get that, but... :D

DAW users are very finicky, they won't use something that isn't just like Cubase (or now just like Ableton). That's why everything is just like Cubase or Ableton (and Ableton is really not so different from Cubase anyway, 90% of the concepts are the same).

In ~2 years of developing PyDAW, from day one my stance was "let's throw out all of the old paradigms and build a better tool for EDM from scratch!!!" (because standard linear DAWs do make many compromises to be suitable for all use-cases). Nobody cared, many tried it, and almost all feature requests were "stop trying to do X differently, and just do it just like Cubase/Ableton do it". So, I'm going to give the people what they want, which is another Cubase clone. However, PyDAW will continue to be developed as my special EDM-centric DAW, and the other as a general-purpose DAW.

I've already got a ton of mature piano roll, sequencer, audio engine, etc... code for forking into the new DAW, so it's not like I'll be starting from scratch. I'm just trying to make sure that I'm making the best Cubase clone I can possibly make :D

Sounds nice Jeff.

I imagine one would need to have a pretty thick skin to do what you're doing. Good luck to you.

1. Studio One's stability, workflow, and ARA

2. Reaper's CPU performance, routing options, varispeed audio, and scalable console view

3. Logic's UI

4. Sonar's PRV

5. Cubase's Score Editor

6. Pro Tools file saving/format

Studio One - bouncing events and tracks, track and event right click menu, ARA

Sonar - ARA, MFX

Cubase - VST3.5, Logical Editor, Transformer Input, Transformer, MFX

Reaper - price, customization

FL Studio - Piano Roll Editor,

LIVE - M4L,

Cubase with Samplitude's objects. and any straight bounce-in-place I guess. Logic 8's was convenient.
Doesn't much matter. Keep chasing the dragon, peeps.

LawrenceF wrote:Sounds nice Jeff.

I imagine one would need to have a pretty thick skin to do what you're doing. Good luck to you.
Thanks buddy :)

...and thanks to everybody for their input, keep it coming...

What we need is a Smörgåsbord DAW. It will be composed of VSTdc (VST DAW components) that the user can select that will make up the DAW.

Select features such as:
stability, workflow, ARA, CPU performance, varispeed audio, scalable console view, PRV, bouncing events and tracks, ARA, MFX, VST3.5, Logical Editor, Transformer Input, Transformer, MFX,customization, FL Studio type Piano Roll Editor, M4L …

I'd like the ability to have two or three different DAWs open at once with the ability to drag/drop from one to another.

Smörgåsbord lol isn't that when you are a rich man with woman hanging off your arms?

if reaper had a session view it would be the perfect daw.

camsr wrote:Smörgåsbord lol isn't that when you are a rich man with woman hanging off your arms?
Depends how fat the woman is surely.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”