One-Synth-Challenge #65: TAL BassLine (Results are in!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TAL-BassLine TAL-BassLine-101

A horse, a horse! My kingdom for a horse! :D

Dazed Veins wrote:A horse, a horse! My kingdom for a horse! :D
What kind? :)

Here is my entry! As I often use TAL Bassline for bass I couldn't miss that OSC ;)

https://soundcloud.com/junzzi/kvtal

DAW: ableton x64

Synth: 28 x TAL Bassline

"Basic Ableton stuff":
Compressor
Limiter
EQ Three
EQ HEight
Reverb
Ping Pong Delay
Simple Delay

If I made a 20 min long song when I automatically loose? :D
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Definitely a bad idea for your OSC entry, but given what I think you have in mind, please consider posting the 20 min take on your SoundCloud later.

psmacmur wrote:Definitely a bad idea for your OSC entry, but given what I think you have in mind, please consider posting the 20 min take on your SoundCloud later.
Sure :D These days I make too much for songs :hihi: Even 20 minutes is pushing it :hihi: This will be my first OSC entry and the deadline will probably help me actually finish a song. Just hope I'll be able to finish it in a satisfied manner before deadline. Peace
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Here is a really rough preview mix of the track so far, only used about 1 percent of material I streamed. Finished version will be much longer and of course different song structure. Put together in a few minutes, main mix already has many many hours in it :D Peace

https://soundcloud.com/moonglass/tal-os ... -rough-mix

TTU Youtube

z.prime wrote:
doctorbob wrote:... the PITA was the fact that it was monophonic, and so when I wanted chords, it was a matter of placing each note in the chord stack on a different instance of Bassline, and then routing those tracks together and applying the FX to that track (REAPER-wise) to keep consistent processing for the full chord
Yes, there's an easier thing to do with reaper, though: you just need N+2 tracks, where N is your polyphony:
* Create a group track <-- put your patch fx here
* Add N tracks under it, each with separate instances of bassline and the same-ish patch
* Add 1 track under that same group track to play MIDI on
** On this track, add piz midiPolyphony, set it to N poly, then route it to each of the N bassline tracks, with each routing, select a different MIDI channel 1 through N instead of all

Done! :)
Oh wow!! :o .. thanks for this tip
Still quite new to Reaper. I've barely touched the JS scripts. Never even woulda thought to look for something like this.
Can you set which notes get sent to which copy of the synth?

artao wrote:Can you set which notes get sent to which copy of the synth?
You can, of course, place notes on the midi track for the individual synth if you want to do that, but it pretty much defeats the purpose of using this. Really, this is for taking multiple instances of a synth and splitting simultaneous notes to each of them to give polyphony. So it shouldn't much matter which synth gets a note because they should all have essentially (or exactly) the same patches. The piz midiPolyphony is smart about what it does: held notes are stolen as needed based on the selected behavior (e.g. oldest by default), when a note is released, it frees up a spot for a new note so you can even hold one for a long time while other notes come and go, as long as you don't go over the max simultaneously. I suggest you just try it, if you're curious. I suspect you'll find it works just as you want right off the bat. Just remember to drop the "HighChannel" setting to the max # of instances you're routing to. E.g. if you have 2 instances, it should be min: 1, max: 2. With 3 instances, max: 3, etc... otherwise some of your notes will not be routed to a sound generator. And in Reaper, when you drag the IO for the routing, the setting you need to change is: MIDI from channel. E.g. "Send to synth on channel 1" send window has MIDI: 1 => All.

On a side note: I figured how to do something similar on Bitwig, but much more annoying: I loaded up the instruments in a rack, then had to apply a NOTE filter - so bottom 1/3 of the kbd goes to 1st instance, middle to the 2nd, etc. and then each individual instance, I had to MIDI Transpose back into the correct register. It works, but it's a pain in the butt to see the chords since they're so spread out over the MIDI editor window... at least I got to keep it all in 1 track that way. It would have been AWESOME to just put piz midiPolyphony on there and filter the notes by channel to each instrument in the rack... and Bitwig actually makes this incredibly easy to set up... EXCEPT... Bitwig re-channelizes everything to MIDI channel 1. So it effectively just undoes what piz midiPolyphony does and it doesn't work. I think they're fixing this for v1.1 but alas not in time for this contest... :cry:

OK boys and girls...here's my humble entry. Enjoy!

Updated!

https://soundcloud.com/imnotdedyet/oh-no-not-again

DAW - Live 9 Suite

Tracks
TAL Bassline x 12
Live Compressor x 4
Live Glue Compressor x 6
Live EQ Eight x 15
Live Reverb x 3
Live Limiter x 5
Live Auto Pan x 2
Live Auto Filter x 6
TAL Bitcrusher x 1
Live Saturator x 2
Live Dynamic Tube x 2

Master
Live Glue Compressor x 1
Live EQ Eight x 2
Live Multiband Dynamics x 1
Live Limiter x 1

Sends
TAL-Reverb-2 x 1
Live EQ Eight x 4
Live Simple Delay x 2
Live Auto Filter x 3
Live Reverb x 2
Last edited by ImNotDedYet on Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Just one question before finishing my track:

Is IMEA Overdrive allowed? Used it very slightly on two instances, mainly as a filter, on the sub bass and one of the "303"s. If it's not, then I will replace it with something else.

Here's how it sounds, in a more or less finished mix.

https://soundcloud.com/dreamforgedstar/ ... ne-preview

CymaticCreation wrote:Just one question before finishing my track:

Is IMEA Overdrive allowed? Used it very slightly on two instances, mainly as a filter, on the sub bass and one of the "303"s. If it's not, then I will replace it with something else.

Here's how it sounds, in a more or less finished mix.

https://soundcloud.com/dreamforgedstar/ ... ne-preview
Be gentle with overdrive, as the main rule is don't make it sound too far off - so we can't tell it's the synth... I know it's vague.

If it sounds like saturation / excitement kind of thing... not too strong, it should be fine. If or when overdrive is built into the synth, BLOW IT UP of course.

Hey .. whoa ... looks like we have a rogue track in the comp ... was expecting an interesting take on a classic number ... but, no ... methinks someone has dropped off a track into the wrong group ...

BJ???

So, I guess we are expecting the usual flurry of tracks in the last few dying days of the comp, eh guys???

db

doctorbob wrote:Hey .. whoa ... looks like we have a rogue track in the comp ... was expecting an interesting take on a classic number ... but, no ... methinks someone has dropped off a track into the wrong group ...

BJ???

So, I guess we are expecting the usual flurry of tracks in the last few dying days of the comp, eh guys???

db

Taken care of :) Its not set up to be pre-moderated, I'll set that up. Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah there are a big flurry of tracks usually... it's always hard to tell.

Strange. The test version I uploaded was reposted by a "Pay for Likes and Plays" and unashamedly so account (I guess a free promotion on their part to hook me up), now this spam in the OSC, all while I was reading about the shady pay-for-like/play/subscribers/followers and what not industry of grand fakeness.

Quite repulsing already.

Return to “Instruments”