Why don't you want to buy a used Fxpansion licence?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.

What makes you NOT want to buy a used Fxpansion licence?

The $50 transfer fee
49%
The learning curve on how to use Fxpansion products
2%
Lack of good presets
2%
Not enough bug fixes
8%
They frequently sell their software for so cheap with random sales that its hard to resell
5%
All of the Above
13%
Ichthys
22%

Total votes: 63

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I bought FXPansion products because they had been hyped a lot in the press (Future Music et al)

And also because there was a nice sale on :oops:

The products are nice, but can't live up to the expectations that the hype in the press had created in me.

My conclusion is that the plugs are overpriced at regular price.

Well on the flipside, the $50 fee is per transaction. I still think it's too high, but at least they allow transfers.

I've successfully sold my licenses for DCAM, Tremor and Etch as a bundle (so only one $50 fee). It was a definite bargain to the new user when I sold it, but it was also fair considering I paid sale prices for each.

Most often what I see available in the marketplace is Tremor and DCAM. Tremor is an amazing plugin, but IMO too convoluted for designing sounds that could probably be created quicker with a sampler, or synth, or a combination of each and heavy processing. DCAM is actually a great collection but I'm not sure of the impression a potential new user would get at the prospect of owning DCAM. It's been released for a while now and with FXpansion, it's hard to know if they will ever have a version 2, or simply have a new product instead.

Geist on the other hand is probably a hard sell because of the recent sale price of $50 from Musician's Friend. I picked it up for that price and it's definitely worth more than that (but I'm happy enough at the price I paid for it).

The only other plugin I own of theirs is Bloom. It's an extremely nice delay and it's not something I've seen on a regular basis in the Marketplace, so I must not be the only who thinks highly of it.

Look.

FXpansion are the Ferrari of the VST world.

Over priced. Plus you need a silly system to make them work.

You need the very latest of state of the art, preferably overclocked.

You need massive hard disk sizes for the libraries.

But it all has to be this way. It's ok.

The support isn't half bad. They get back to you within a day or two and they don't just follow the script - it feels like you are talking to a real human being.

Ok, it took me nearly a whole year to install Trauma (Tremor) and it still doesn't work properly, but that is my fault. I should have realised you need a quantum computer with 59 TeraBits of RAM and an 8 proposition Cubit bit. That would do it. When I tell FXpansion my specs, I can feel a stifled guffaw.

They are a great company though. I am being a bit facetious, but on the whole, they make cutting edge software, with a very good support base. I rank them in the top 3 of all time VST makers. Slag them? Yes. All the time. But better them? I think not. Not over all.

They are a strange company for sure. But they have a devoted fan base, that aren't just mug punters. I have practically everything they have done (bar BFD 3).

I really like the fact that you can get to talk to someone there and they will give you genuine feedback. That's rare for a company their size.

I don't know. Just my impressions.

codec_spurt wrote:I really like the fact that you can get to talk to someone there and they will give you genuine feedback. That's rare for a company their size.
It's a big plus of course, in that sense they are like G-Force

elxsound wrote:It's been released for a while now and with FXpansion, it's hard to know if they will ever have a version 2, or simply have a new product instead.
Must confirm this. Bought DR008 ages ago... a superb drum sampler long before NI Battery came out. Plus it was/is capable of loading MusicLabs' drum plugins (Slicy Drummer + Fill-in Drummer) onto a drum pad. :o :tu:

But one day they discontinued it though there was always a discussion about a new version... instead BFD came out - a very different beast.

I own almost everything they make. It's generally, IMHO, quality stuff at a fair price.

I was unaware of the $50 transfer fee, but I would suspect that this would be the MAIN obstacle to any advantage toward buying a USED license.

-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Numanoid wrote:
codec_spurt wrote:I really like the fact that you can get to talk to someone there and they will give you genuine feedback. That's rare for a company their size.
It's a big plus of course, in that sense they are like G-Force

I have lost count of the amount of VST makers that just give it the script.

FXpansion really do have a living breathing person at the other end that profers an opinion. There are very few companies that do this.

In fact, shit companies like iZotope don't even answer your mail at all, and when they do, they patronise you like a motherf**ker. I hate them with all my heart and I wont' ever buy anything from them ever again. In fact, it is my mission in life to put the boot into them at random times, such as this, just to prove my point.

FXpansion aren't like that. They get back to you. Ok, maybe one time it took them a few months, but at least they explained and said sorry. iZotope just pretend you don't exist - bad move.

They are just a cottage industry at the end of the day with a couple of very very talented programmers. Ok, maybe ONE very talented programmer. But man, what a f**king programmer! We are lucky to pick up the drops from his table.

The rest is just, you know, ...

codec_spurt wrote:I have lost count of the amount of VST makers that just give it the script. [...] There are very few companies that do this. [...] In fact, shit companies like iZotope don't even answer your mail at all, and when they do, they patronise you like a motherf**ker. I hate them with all my heart and I wont' ever buy anything from them ever again.
I think you are running into a self induced spiral now. ;)

My experiences with vendors of the industry are - in general, statistical exceptions allowed - very good.

elassi wrote:
codec_spurt wrote:I have lost count of the amount of VST makers that just give it the script. [...] There are very few companies that do this. [...] In fact, shit companies like iZotope don't even answer your mail at all, and when they do, they patronise you like a motherf**ker. I hate them with all my heart and I wont' ever buy anything from them ever again.
I think you are running into a self induced spiral now. ;)

My experiences with vendors of the industry are - in general, statistical exceptions allowed - very good.

Oh, I'm sure.

I have very good experiences too, with practically everyone I have dealt with. Except iZotope. They were shit. I don't know if I mentioned that. They are the only company that are on my shit list.

They are no.1 on the shit list, of one. Quite a feat.

Anyway, no need to be bitter about it.

I just won't have a bad word said about FXpansion when there are c**ts out there like iZotope.

Not only will I not buy any more of their software (yes, I gave them cold hard cash), but I will take every opportunity I can to criticise them. FXpansion, I will back up to the hilt. Their faults have been noted, but I'm on their side, unlike iZotope, who I am not.

If I seem bitter.

It is because I am.

Well so far it seems the 50$ transfer fee puts off a lot of people from buying a second hand license. As far as some comments about the software being buggy I have not had any problems running their products in Ableton live 9 on OSX. They are some of the most stable plugins I own. :tu:
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:Well so far it seems the 50$ transfer fee puts off a lot of people from buying a second hand license. As far as some comments about the software being buggy I have not had any problems running their products in Ableton live 9 on OSX. They are some of the most stable plugins I own. :tu:
I think I had some issues with Tremor initially, but they got sorted soon enough. Nothing that couldn't and hasn't happened to every other developer. I also won't fault their support (although I haven't needed it personally since all the bugs I encountered were already reported). Even look at the forum support here when they launch a new product, they are always quick to be involved and respond to issues. That's a good sign from a developer.

The plugins I've kept, Bloom and Geist are also incredibly stable on OSX, Live 9.

Anyway, I like the company (having just racked up on Geist expansions, all but one being worth the low price IMO). I'm definitely interested to see where they take their software (and hoping they have Geist 2 instead of something different) and love their promo videos as well as the logo designs for each product (I know nothing related to how it sounds or performs, but simply acknowledging something well done).

codec, I'm not in the position to critizise you but carefully&kindly ask to reflect what you are writing... :)
codec_spurt wrote:I will take every opportunity I can to criticise them. [...] I hate them with all my heart [...] it is my mission in life to put the boot into them at random times [...]
If something goes that wrong in your mood and understanding of failing events you seem to be either a young person or have a very low frustration tolerance.

And pls don't rebel against me, too. I'm just in sorrow about your mental condition for a pretty good reason. ;)

so he's a bit manic. I found that bit to be pretty funny. Maybe it's a language barrier. '...to put the boot into them at random times. Just to prove my point.' is actually absurd and kind of self-effacingly so isn't it?

I only really know from BFD1 and BFD2. I demo'd BFD3 last night and the demo sucks, it's one kit and the things I'm interested aren't even a feature of it.
I love BFD2, but I think they're kind of strange. They quit developing it and stated they were going to do something else now, like they'd abandoned the line. Then it wasn't too long before BFD3.
BFD2 x64 is buggy as hell in VE Pro and it's never going to be even looked at.

But the combo of the quality of it and its engine are tops in my book. I have checked out Steven Slate Platinum via another studio here, which pretty much sounds just as good as the good stuff in BFD2 but there's this puny Kontakt interface and I would NEVER spend money for that shite, it would be such a letdown and so slow to work with.

elassi wrote:codec, I'm not in the position to critizise you but carefully&kindly ask to reflect what you are writing... :)
codec_spurt wrote:I will take every opportunity I can to criticise them. [...] I hate them with all my heart [...] it is my mission in life to put the boot into them at random times [...]
If something goes that wrong in your mood and understanding of failing events you seem to be either a young person or have a very low frustration tolerance.

And pls don't rebel against me, too. I'm just in sorrow about your mental condition for a pretty good reason. ;)
It is my moods. I swing hot and cold. I can spend 18 hours without moving from my pod, locked into a program, no food, no sleep, no nothing (well maybe, you know)...

This is all light hearted stuff. There is no hate here. Even towards iZotope - look how often I suggest their software to new users - a truly bitter person wouldn't do that.

Please don't feel bad about my mental condition, not for these reasons anyway as they would be unfounded. There was a bit of light hearted humour here that you did not pick up on.

But if you want sorrow in my life, I can let you into my garden. But beware, there really are monsters there.

:-)

I don't often stick up for software companies, because it is ultimately futile arguing with people on the internet, but I can tell you, where it counts, FXpansion are the best of the best. They not only make the best software, they provide the best support.

I also stick up for Jorgen from XT sotware, when everyone else slags him. Hell, they haven't slagged him more than me. Still, I have been allowed to have my say, get it off my chest, and we are all good at the end of the day.

I'll give it up now about how much I hate iZotope. I think I might need some support soon, so now would be a good time. That was a joke as well.

I really couldn't give a shit, and anyone that reads this that thinks I take this seriously, well, you need to take a step back good fella...

I got mine. I paid for it. I got it working.

This is why I am supporting the smaller companies like GVST http://www.gvst.co.uk/

and giving them a few quid here and there where I can. Graham always says thanks, a few days later. Not many words, doesn't have to be, just an acknowledgement.

A company as big as iZotope have more than enough resources to reply to idiots like me, but they just hope the problem will go away - it is to do with admin rights and stuff that even they have not figured out yet. You give them detailed feedback and they do what? They ignore you. Do not answer your mails at all.

Now, FXpansion took a few months to answer ONE of my mails. And when they did, the acknowledged that, they happy loggied and gave a solution. But every other time, they have got back within a matter of a day or two. Or three at very most.

They have a whole team of people to pay. People that do stuff apart from programming VSTs. People that make pretty pictures for the website. People that actually build the website. Have you seen what a truly wonderful website it is. It is best of classs. The navigation. The design. It is incredibly good. I can go anywhere in the world and know that at least, I can download all my FXpansion products and have them authorized within a matter of minutes. And if I have gone over my level for a particular product they will get back to me and authorize that.

This was a thread about FXpansion, so let's not get away from that.

FXpansion have integrity as a company. So do I as an individual, as 'odd' as I may be.

All the software I use from FXpansion is payed for by me. I don't have anything to declare.

Hell, I even slagged off Deadmaus really badly one time (though I did say he was probably a nice person and a good guy to go for a beer with - even if his music was shit). I had no comebacks. None at all. In fact, FXpansion have been very good to me.

This is just a little big persons playground. As long as we don't act like total tits then I don't see what the problem is. Many things make me feel lesser in life, but Kvr isn't one. I nearly always feel enriched after leaving here. Well, except after talking to Teksonik! (that was a joke too, but you never know).

</ramble>

It's good that you are talking, codec.

A sign of openess regarding the context. :tu:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”