J74 Progressive

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Existing users have been notified with the download link to the new 2.0 version.
Please check you email box (and eventually your spam box) for the message

Cheers
Fab
http://www.fabriziopoce.com/
Last edited by f.poce@tiscali.nl on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

:party:

Bummer it's for Ableton only.
Cap'n Spanky
From the Planet Screwball

Correction, it's for M4L live users only :hihi:

this is the best addition for live ever and i can't believe that it costs only 12 $ (fantastic) :tu:
ps. the other m4live devices are also absolutely stunning

Had a little play with it yesterday. Seems like good stuff indeed - especially at that price!

I've done some fun stuff with it. I admit though, I don't really feel like I know it very well. I'll have a watch at the viddys again later.

If you need a recap of how stuff works, the tutorial videos are available at:
http://fabriziopoce.com/progressive.html

Or (in general for all the stuff I do) here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/june74tube ... _as=public

The user manual PDF is also there.
http://www.fabriziopoce.com/J74%20Progr ... Manual.pdf
Last edited by f.poce@tiscali.nl on Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This looks great! One quick question - is it possible to create a progression starting from a selected midi clip in the Chord Progression editor? In other words, ideally I would like to "import" an actual midi chord from a track into the editor, select my chord progression rules and then have it create a new progression beginning with my selected chord when I press "create progression clip". Is this possible?

Thanks!

Short answer: no, you can't just import a progression from a clip.
Last edited by f.poce@tiscali.nl on Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Long answer: if you have a progression as MIDI clip you should be able to do it with "some work" (if the clip defines a scale). This involves some degree of harmonic analysis, which in most part the tool can do with its MIDI Analyzer section (see tutorial 2).

Example: you got a progression like this Cmajor Dminor Eminor7 Cmajor

# First part: analysis
- If you cannot recognize the chords by yourself, you can do this using the MIDI Analyzer of Progressive for that (in its "Chords" mode): select one chord at the time (= all notes belonging to that chord) in the midi editor of Live. Then "ask" the Analyzer what chord the selection is. Repeat this for all the chords. See tutorial 2 for an idea on how to do this.
- Then, if you use the MIDI Analyzer (in its "Scales" mode - again, see tutorial 2) it will give you (given the example) "C Major" as the detected scale (and all its alternative modes, D dorian, E phrigian etc.). Normally the mode is defined by the first chord (a few times the last).
- So, in this example, the detected scale defines the notes in this order: C=1 D=2 E=3 F=4 G=5 A=6 B=7.
- Taking the root notes and the chords just detected, you have analyzed your progression as: [1 2 3 1] (or in romans ).

Note: the analysis process may fail. For instance if the original progression does not "simply" fit a scale because it has some accidental or borrowed chord... You could do some assumption though and get the original scale... but most of the time you won't cross these cases unless some complex stuff is going on...

# Second part: building and modifying a progression
You can now use the Chord Progression editor as usual (see tutorial 1,4,5) to work on / modify the progression (with alternative chords, variations, inversions, arpeggios). You do this using the information you got with the previous "analysis" steps:
- You select the scale you detected: C Major
- You edit the progression in the progression editor ([1 2 3 1] or modify it to something else, let's say [1 5 6 2 1 2 3 1])
- You set options like arpeggio timing, velocity, chord type (7th, 9th, etc.), spreading, octave for inversion etc.
- You finally get the new progression as a new MIDI clip.

It takes some steps, but that's how harmony works....
The idea behind Progressive is that you do not have to learn all the rules about scales and chords by heart to do this. Just the methods.
Actually if you do this kind of process 1000 times you may even become good at doing it with no aid.

Gr
Fab
Last edited by f.poce@tiscali.nl on Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Makes sense - thank you! Just bought :).

So for someone who knows theory but has difficulty remembering things like scales this would be a useful tool?

I love the idea of the audio analyser, seems similar to Live's audio to midi converter but can it be used on bass and melody audio clips to extract the midi? Thanks.
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

About the Audio Analyzer:
The Audio Analyzer is one of the tools in the set (it is the youngest tool, by the way). Audio Analyzer does *not* produce a MIDI clip (recording the detected notes in time, like Live Audio to MIDI) but rather focuses on finding the scale in use (e.g. for use on other tools in the set, like the Chord Progression Editor). Compared to Live Audio to MIDI though it is real time and so generally a quicker approach if the question you like to answer is: "what scale is in use in this piece of audio?".

About the idea behind Progressive in general:
The idea behind Progressive (with all its various tools, especially those for making your own progressions) comes from my own view and past history as an electronic musician working with composers. On one side I hated all the mnemonic details related to harmony (scales, modes, chords, progressions, use of accidentals and so on), but on the other *I love harmony in itself*. As I think I have after all a decent grasp on it I decided to make "my short cut" (= Progressive). You work with it kind of a composer would with his/her knowledge, but it saves you most of the mnemonic stuff. Therefore it can help you doing things quickly and getting experimental on a harmonic level.

Cheers
Fab

Nice cheers Fab. :)
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

Return to “Effects”