July Contest: Voting

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Vote for your Top 10 favorite compositions, in order (most-favorite = #1, proceed downward).

Voting ends on early a.m. (US Central Time), Friday, August 1.

No voting for yourself. Voters must have had 20 prior posts, or at least have participated in the contest this month.

Once you place your vote, you cannot change it, unless permission has been granted by the moderator.

In the case of equal scores after voting, entries will be separated by how many 10 pts (i.e., how many #1 votes) they got, then 9 pts and so on. (Thanks to OSC for this rule.)

You must participate in voting to win prizes!

A useful link (but please note the caution at the bottom of the page) :
http://kvrcontest.farlukar.cz.cc/

Thanks and good luck.
No longer a moderator.

#1 D.H. Miltz - Fizzle (Great stuff)
#2 Nine of Kings - Guilty
#3 Barnadine - A Hole in the World
#4 kryptonaut / Jon Grove - Lost in Space and Time (Like the 70's style)
#5 Pethu - Ritorno alle Dolomiti
#6 kuuso - IndustrousToenails ( Japanese style)
#7 AaronCotton Green
#8 forw - The Gathering
#9 Mister Natural - The Movie Outside My Front Door
#10 Holy Rebuked - Jailbreak [KVR Mix] ( Not really my music, but like some of the sounds)

#1 Nine of Kings - Guilty
#2 Kryptonaut/Jon Grove - Lost in Space and Time
#3 Barnadine - A Hole in the World
#4 Kuuso - Industrious Toenails
#5 forw - The Gathering
#6 David Stiles - Pastoral Habanera
#7 Pethu - Ritorno alle Dolomiti
#8 D.H. Miltz - Fizzle
#9 Mister Natural - The Movie Outside My Front Door
#10 Hellfog - Nothing

I think many people utilized polymeter instead of polyrhythm. This prevented me from voting for them as the contest guidelines were over polyrhythm (many simultaneous rhythms) not polymeter (many simultaneous meters). I could care less if you composed something in 6/8 over 5/4. That is polymeter not polyrhythm and so doesn't qualify (necessarily) under the submission guidelines. Sorry for the re-edit. I ran out of time earlier as I had a vital appointment to attend and planned on finishing my votes when I returned from that. (Car trouble made it longer than I originally planned)
~~~~PLUR & may the EDM be with you~~~~

#1 forw - The Gathering
#2 Mr Natural - The Movie Outside My Front Door
#3 Barnadine - Hole In The World
#4 Nine of Kings - Guilty
#5 hellfog - Nothing
#6 pethu - Ritorno Alle Dolomiti ( I liked the Amiga game music -style blues scale improvisation. )
#7 Laguna Rising - Sunset Highlights
#8 Aaron Cotton - Green
#9 beanpole - Faded Glory
#10 david stiles - Pastoral Habanera

D.H. Miltz would be #2 if the middle part was polyrhythmic.

Most of this selection was based on use of polyrhythm, and then by the quality of the overall song. Some very good songs are lower on the vote than they should be, because I couldn't hear much polyrhythm.

1: Beanpole - Faded Glory
2: DH Miltz - Fizzle
3: Laguna Rising - Sunset Highlights
4: Pethu - Ritorno Alle Dolomiti
5: Barnadine - Hole In the World
6: Kuuso - Industrious Toenails
7: David Stiles - Pastoral Habanera
8: Forw - The Gathering
9: Aaron Cotton - Green
10: Hellfog - Nothing

01 - NineofKings - Guilty
02 - kryptonaut - Lost In Space And Time
03 - Mr Natural - The Movie Outside My Front Door
04 - Barnadine - Hole In The World
05 - pethu - Ritorno Alle Dolomiti
06 - kuuso - Industrous Toenails
07 - Aaron Cotton - Green
08 - David Stiles - Pastoral Habanera
09 - Beanpole - Faded Glory
10 - Forw - The Gathering

HM :
DHMiltz - Fizzle

Sigh...voting without an entry for yet another month...but always glad to listen to everyone else and vote, so:

1 kryptonaut
2 D.H. Miltz
3 Barnadine
4 Pethu
5 David Stiles
6 Hellfog
7 Beanpole
8 Kuuso
9 Nine of Kings
10 Laguna Rising

Usually with these contests; I can discern some common themes that each take with them to the theme of the month . . . SO NOT this month. Wide variety of interpretations of the challenge.
Some shockingly good musicians here that I'm totally humbled to compete "against" each month. Not kidding fellas - excellent, excellent works here.
If I have to vote: here goes
1. davidstiles - so effortless with your graceful orchestrations. Touching melodies, brilliant use of voices, another cinematic triumph for you. Will you kindly score the movie of my life ? :=) Quite beautiful
(follows - any of the next 6 that could be placed 2nd, quite frankly - each amazing in it's own right)
2. Hellfog - really the best piece of yours I've had the privilege to hear. Excellent instrumentation - really like the use of percussion and the Epiano - very lovely
3. forw - brilliant use of themes to "manage" a complex piece of counterpoint. Great instrumentation. Just 'wow"
4. Miltz - beautiful little piece of musique concrete again from you. Just love your use of found sounds inside this as you do this so very naturally
5. Barnadine - poor lad - you really sound quite ill. Rest & water . . . Amazing lyrics & brilliant use of poly. Even the claps surprise me & love the "accordion" that so fits the feel of the piece
6. kuuso - Great production values with a groovy B section. Kinda reminds me of Todd Rundgren (a lot)
7. pethu - feels like bits & pieces at the start (albeit interesting bits & pieces) until the excellent piano motif comes in with the drums to tie it together nicely
8. ClaRago - micro-tonal and multi-rhythmic at the same time. Impressive work with an amusing & light feel . . . until the distorted voice comes in and steps on all the amusement
9.HolyRebuked - nice instrumentation with terrific production values. Overly simple melody lines with a little too much 'verb
10. nineofkings - fun prog rock with cool lyrics (I was just listening to an old YES record yesterday). Love the backing vocals "ahhh" near the end

peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

1. Barnadine - Hole In The World
The more I played this, the more I liked it. Has a definite George Harrison vibe.
2. pethu - Ritorno Alle Dolomiti
Nice journey. Loved the 2nd half from the piano arps to the end.
3. NineofKings - Guilty
A well-produced song, particularly liked the 40-second outro section
4. beanpole - Faded Glory
Nice intro, enjoyed the vocal sections in the middle and end.
5. forw - The Gathering
Interesting use of mistreated pianos and horns, and some intriguing chord sequences.
6. DHMiltz - Fizzle
Lo-fi loop turns into a rather nice chilled strummed section.
7. davidstiles - Pastoral Habanera
Very filmic piece of music, I feel you must have had a story in mind when writing this.
8. MrNatural - The Movie Outside My Front Door
What is happening outside your front door? Sombre sounds!
9. AaronCotton - Green
Nice bit of Summer-y sound, well produced.
10.ClaRago - 7 Seals 4 Horsemen
Quite hard to get into the micro-tonality but an interesting listen!

As always, a strong selection of submissions from everyone, but since I have to narrow it down to a top ten, here it is...

1) forw - The Gathering - I really loved this track. I wasn't sure where it was headed half the time, but the unusual instrumentation and really effective orchestration won me over in a big way.

2) Hellfog - Nothing - Great atmospheric vibe and some appealing rhythmic developments.

3) Pethu - Ritorno Alle Dolomiti - Great quirky fun, and I especially enjoyed the opening passage.

4) Aaron Cotton - Green - Nice mixture of styles. The reggae-inspiring opening worked especially well for me.

5) Barnadine - A Hole in the World - An unnerving track, and I mean that in a good way. Very nicely executed.

6) Kuuso - Industrious Toenails - Neat, danceable track with a touch of chiptune that sat really well with me.

7) Mister Natural - The Movie Outside My Front Door - Mellow and effective at establishing a certain emotional atmosphere. It really does makes me curious about just what exactly is going on outside your front door!

8) Holy Rebuked - Jailbreak - I actually did get a mental picture of a jailbreak from this track, with a nice but not overstated sense of danger and urgency.

9) Laguna Rising - Sunset Highlights - I'm not sure that I connect this track with a sunset scene, but I liked the retro vibe and just generally enjoyed it.

10) D.H. Miltz - Fizzle - This is a gorgeous track. I had a hard time fitting it into the polyrhythmic theme, though, so it doesn't place as high as it might have otherwise placed.

1. forw
2. laguna rising
3. kryptonaut
4. clarago
5. holy rebuked
6. nine of kings
7. david stiles
8. pethu
9. miltz
10. beanpole

4. AaronCotton - Green
  5. forw - The gathering
  6. pethu - Ritorno alle Dolomiti
  7. nineofkings - Guilty
  8. davidstiles - Pastoral habanera
  9. beanpole - Faded glory
  10. kuuso - Industrous toenails

Late to the party (but compensating by prattling on a bit in the Gossip thread!):

#1 Nine of Kings – Guilty
#2 D H Miltz – Fizzle
#3 AaronCotton – Green
#4 Kuuso – Industrous Toenails
#5 Kryptonaut – Lost in Space and Time
#6 Forw – The Gathering
#7 Davidstiles – Pastoral Habanera
#8 Barnadine – A Hole in the World
#9 Laguna Rising – Sunset Highlights
#10 Mr Natural – The Movie Outside My Front Door

Rest of entries also well above average this time. Well done all!
Last edited by pethu on Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pethu.se/music-releases
Not a part of the loudness war!

nineofkings
Barnadine
AaronCotton
Laguna Rising
HolyRebuked
Hellfog
D.H.Miltz
pethu
kryptonaut
forw
can't sing, can't play, looks awful.....

lots of good stuff, guys!

1 a hole in the world_barnadine
Wow, creepy track! Love your singing, love the base at the middle of the track..good structure..georgious track. It came to my mind that a clearer separation of the instruments (back-front) by using reverbs could help bringing a little more clarity to the overall sound.

2 pastoral habana_david stiles
Film orchestra meets ..hmm..drums remind me of the 80s? 90s?
Maybe this could shine even more with a little more reverb and widening the stereo field? I must say I was a little disappointed with the oboe sound (which is actually top notch 8dio stuff!). sounds like note off samples are missing cause the sound immediately dies off in the end?! ..and it would add the realism to start the notes without the vibrato and add more when the notes holds longer. just my 2 cents ; ) lovely piece!

3 lost in time and space_kryptonaut
Great piece. Singing reminds me of Ozzy in the beginning! 2nd verse could be nice to have some variatons maybe. Great finish-progression. I thought "this calls for a cresc." ...which you don´t do - and it`s even better without and just adding another line on top.. even adds to the tension not to have the cresc.

4 fizzle_dhmiltz
Really nice sounds. The little guit. melody is fantastic. One of those pieces I like to hear several times in a row.

5 the movie outside my front door_mister natural

Strange unusual mood and understated production -> nice! Interesting to follow where the piece goes.

6 Industrous toenails_kuuso
Good production. Nice melody, love the hectical videogame style.

7 guilty_nine of kings
Nice singing, playing and nice choice of sounds! The drumset at the beginning is pretty cool but doesn`t really merge with the other instruments, I think. Maybe add a tiny bit of reverb oder delay?

8 nothing_hellfog
This could be the music to a spacey video game. Actually the keys solo part reminds me very much of the music to the game "FTL-faster than light". Good production, good melody!

9 7 seals 4 horsemen_clarago
Yeah! I enjoyed this one! Cool production! Nice start but lost me a little at the end.

10 RITORNO ALLE DOLOMITI_petu

Interesting composition! Starts really nice but lost me somehow because I couldn´t relate to the synthsound in 0:25 and in the end.
HMs to:
aaron cotton_green
Dreamy summer holiday feel. There are some notes that kick me out of this feeling. F.e. the ending of the synth line in 2:16. Good choice of sounds!

jailbreak_holyrebuked
Great part starting at 1:05! Hypnotic.. and cool production skills. Synth sounds not so much to my taste.

sunset highlights_laguna rising
The melody sounds a bit forced to fit into these strange meters which makes it hard for me to keep following. ...however cool in a way to hear this almost sweet melody being destroyed all the way through..makes me feel like: oh, maybe here come the resolution..no..but maybe this time we`ll here the melody clearly..no..but this time..no

faded glory_beanpole
Nice radio refrain! Harmony singing sometimes a little out of tune to my ears.

Return to “Music Cafe”