Best Midi Controller/Keyboard

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Morning all, new guy here and after a few years out of the production game I've decided to rebuild my studio, albeit on a bit of a shoestring budget.

Question is, what is the best MIDI controller Keyboard I can get for under £100?

I'm currently running Ableton Live 9 on a mid 2012 MBP13" if that helps?

I don't want something massive but I would like something with great usability and compact with as many features as possible.

I'm happy to buy second hand from eBay and have been looking towards an Akai MPK Mini or a second hand Axiom Air Mini or Axiom 25.

Any help would be great thanks.

I'd look for an MPK25 on eBay.
Might be marginally more than your budget though; maybe £20.

Absolutely worth it.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Cheers for the speedy reply. Been looking at them and they look brilliant and you clearly get a lot more for the extra £20-£30 on my budget. Might consider just waiting until next week when I have more cash.

Gavvo wrote:Cheers for the speedy reply. Been looking at them and they look brilliant and you clearly get a lot more for the extra £20-£30 on my budget. Might consider just waiting until next week when I have more cash.
If it's only an extra week you need to wait, then it's a no-brainer IMO.
You'll regret buying something cheap.

Buy cheap, buy twice ;)
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

FWIW Gavvo, I once looked at the Axiom 25 and decided not. Didn't like the way the keys felt. The unit felt more like a toy than a musical instrument. Maybe I was just too comfortable with my Roland D-20 :hihi: (But it doesn't do what I needed. :( )

Actually all I tested in this realm (25 keys) felt similar. Novation, Akai, M-Audio, etc., etc.

I ended up with an Axiom Pro 49 and haven't thought twice about it.

Much more than your budget but as Mushy Mushy said, "Buy cheap, buy twice ;) "

Couldn't agree more.

Probably best to get rid of the GAS and buy something solid once you have saved for it.

BTW - Welcome to the forum! :tu:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

If you can get a used E-MU X board, it has an awesome keybed for the money. I have one and still works fine. I also have a Novation Impulse and i am very happy with it. Works with Ableton like a charm.

Thanks for the help. An MPK25 popped up on eBay for £105 delivered so I'm just gonna go with that.

You won't get the best... because there's no such thing.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”