how to use Racks - issue

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I use Tracktion mostly for working with MIDI, recording clips and using vsti as sound source.

After I create a vsti Rack (stereo output), I need to send it to different tracks, to have different parts of the same sound source with their own tweaks and effects.

When I do so, they sound as a sum/multiplied and the outputs don't work separately. While playing the project, the level meter always shows output signal on all tracks that have the Rack, no matter which one has a midi clip on it.

Does anyone can help? Am I missing something?

Regards,

P.S. Have experimented with sending outputs to empty tracks; also wet and dry level; however, they still don't work as individual outputs.

I'm not sure I understand completely what you're trying to do, but in order to get separate outputs from a rack, the vsti you're using must HAVE separate outputs. If you only have Left and Right, then the most you can do is set up one sound and route it "left", then set up another sound and route it "right".

I use Superior Drummer. It shows up in the rack with many outputs. I can assign my Kick to output 1, Snare to output 2, etc. These separate outs can then be routed to individual tracks for individual control. Is this similar to what you're trying to do?

bk wrote:I'm not sure I understand completely what you're trying to do, but in order to get separate outputs from a rack, the vsti you're using must HAVE separate outputs. If you only have Left and Right, then the most you can do is set up one sound and route it "left", then set up another sound and route it "right".

I use Superior Drummer. It shows up in the rack with many outputs. I can assign my Kick to output 1, Snare to output 2, etc. These separate outs can then be routed to individual tracks for individual control. Is this similar to what you're trying to do?
bk - I just bought EZ Drummer and I'm going to try to install it this weekend. Do you know EZ has the same display of outputs as Superior?
It is time to come together in the middle of the road.

I'm not sure about that. That may be one of the things they simplified for EZ Drummer.

edit: just checked Toontracks's website. EZ Drummer1 has 8 outs, and EZ Drummer2 has 16.

To be honest, I rarely use these extra outputs anymore...the internal processing in Superior covers just about anything I need, so I mix the drums in Superior and output them to a stereo track. Good luck with your new purchase. I'm sure you will enjoy it. The drums sound really good.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
frankvg wrote:Have you watched this:

http://www.tracktion.com/training-video ... ck-filters (http://www.tracktion.com/training-videos/t3/part-10-rack-filters)
Hi Frank,
Yes, I have watched this video and video series on youtube, long time ago. After watching, Tracktion remains my choice for DAW no matter what, even though sometime I have to improvise to get the result I need.

However, the video you mention, does not give the answer to my issue. If you pay attention at
3:16-3:47 (Similarly... will probably not have the result you intended)
This is my case.

In other words, what I am looking for is similar to Cubase (past DAW); where you can add a synth and associate it with as many tracks as you want and each track output works independently, so you can tweak individual setting for each one.

I have created a sophisticated Rack synth which is CPU hungry (I have a powerful system), but it cannot handle the project if I duplicate it, so my intention is using it on different tracks, independently, to have different parts and settings. I know freeze would help... but I need flexibility in real time.

Regards,

P.S. It is not the case of multiple outputs, just stereo.

Sorry if I've got this completely wrong. I haven't transferred EZD to my new computer yet, but isn't this just a case of using the Track destination field? No need to use Racks, but have EZD on (say) track 9, and midi clips on 1-8 and then send to 9 via the Track Destination panel?

cadabra wrote: In other words, what I am looking for is similar to Cubase (past DAW); where you can add a synth and associate it with as many tracks as you want and each track output works independently, so you can tweak individual setting for each one.

I have created a sophisticated Rack synth which is CPU hungry (I have a powerful system), but it cannot handle the project if I duplicate it, so my intention is using it on different tracks, independently, to have different parts and settings. I know freeze would help... but I need flexibility in real time.

Regards,

P.S. It is not the case of multiple outputs, just stereo.
OK. I'm confused. You're saying in Cubase, you can have one synth instance with stereo outputs only, yet still have multi-timbral output with individual sounds assigned to multiple tracks so that each synth part playing is individually tweakable?

Why not name the synth. Maybe that will narrow the focus.

For instance, some synths have multiple versions, one with stereo outs, and one with multiple outs. Perhaps in cubase you were using the multiple output version without being aware, and now you're trying to recreate the same functionality with the stereo version in T5? It's possible cubase makes using multiple output synths more transparent so you may not even know you were using one. Never used cubase, so I don't know the answer to that.

Yes, could you explain how this is done in Cubase? Then perhaps we can find a way for it to work. I trust you understand (after watching the video) why it is not working the way you intend.

frankvg wrote:Yes, could you explain how this is done in Cubase? Then perhaps we can find a way for it to work. I trust you understand (after watching the video) why it is not working the way you intend.

cadabra wrote:
frankvg wrote:Yes, could you explain how this is done in Cubase? Then perhaps we can find a way for it to work. I trust you understand (after watching the video) why it is not working the way you intend.
Hello cadabra

I'm just getting started with T5 racks. Do you have any new info to share from your solution?
It is time to come together in the middle of the road.

Return to “Tracktion”