Ableton Live is starting to piss me off...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Live

I recently bought it. I love the onboard sounds and I'm starting to arrange in it, however these gripes are getting in their way:

1). Grid keeps changing for every clip. For some clips its 1/4 for some its 1/8 and for some its 1/16. Yes I've tried turning on 'Fixed Grid' and turning off adaptive grid. It doesn't work.

2). There's no area in the arrangement view other than the tracks, where I can click to set the play cursor. If I select a clip, it insists on playing from the beginning of the clip (in the arrangement view) rather than wherever i position my mouse. F****king annoying to say the least.

3). Converting giga sounds to ableton sounds doesn't work - it boosts the volume of all sounds by some phenomenal 24dB almost ripping apart my speakers in that process, and with no warning whatsoever.
Also there's no internal 'output limiter' that will save you incase there's an explosion of sound like this. You're on your own.

4). Still can't find a shortcut to 'arm' - no mapping will ask me to arm specific tracks. I want just a bloody shortcut to arm selected track, that's all.

5). Browser is excellent with good keyboard support, but for God's sake could they make the preview display any smaller? It would be so nice to resize that damn thing but nope, not allowed.

Geez...just when you've found the perfect fluid DAW, it starts to show its ugly side. :roll:

Regarding point #2, you can click on Scrub Area above and the cursor starts playing from where you clicked. You can even right click there and add locators and play from their positions.

Regarding point #4, you can enable tracks to auto arm by editing options.txt file. http://sonicbloom.net/en/ableton-live-i ... ck-arming/

Information about options.txt: https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/opt ... file-live/
Last edited by untimelyman on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

The main thing I find annoying is the browser, it makes it very hard to organise stuff so all my presets, racks, max patches etc are together instead of in half a dozen different locations.

aMUSEd wrote:The main thing I find annoying is the browser, it makes it very hard to organise stuff so all my presets, racks, max patches etc are together instead of in half a dozen different locations.
Same here. Ugh!
Live 8 browser was much better imo. The Live 9 browser feels like a beta test that was neglected in the end. Plus it seems to be more oriented towards factory presets which i don't care about at all. I roll my own.

keyman_sam wrote:1). Grid keeps changing for every clip. For some clips its 1/4 for some its 1/8 and for some its 1/16. Yes I've tried turning on 'Fixed Grid' and turning off adaptive grid. It doesn't work.
This one got me for a while. Found out it goes by how you are zoomed in. If you are zoomed in differently in multiple clips, they will all show different grid resolutions. There are shortcut keys that will change the resolution also. You might want to learn those. They are in the manual.

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Also for #3

First thing I do on a fresh install is setup a default template, and the first thing in that template is a limiter going on the master output to prevent that exact scenario. So you should just be able to slap an ableton limiter effect on master then save as default. Wont help with the giga conversion but at least may save your speakers

33tetragammon wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:The main thing I find annoying is the browser, it makes it very hard to organise stuff so all my presets, racks, max patches etc are together instead of in half a dozen different locations.
Same here. Ugh!
Live 8 browser was much better imo. The Live 9 browser feels like a beta test that was neglected in the end. Plus it seems to be more oriented towards factory presets which i don't care about at all. I roll my own.
Ableton says Buy Push! Buy Push!

tooneba wrote:
33tetragammon wrote:
Same here. Ugh!
I don't think it feels like a beta test, since it works, but it just doesn't work like I want it to either. I also build many of my own racks and right now I can't find a way that simplifies the location.

On the flipside, having a dedicated user library is easier for future upgrades, if they ever decide a new format, or if you move to a different OS. Having done this before, prior to L9, I can tell you it was tedious locating all my own presets since they were mixed with the factory presets.

And yes Push integration is obviously a big deal in terms of the browser. I'm still hoping they allow for more customizing (like changing the hierarchy as browsed from Push... I'd love for my custom folder placed above factory content).

2. This is just a different way of working. Once you let go of how you do things in other hosts it'll be easier. I work in several hosts, and they all have a way of doing thing that would definitely be annoying if I expected them all to work the same.

3. As ezelkow1 mentioned, setting a default template with the Limiter on the master fixes this. I prefer this being a user's choice as opposed to being the default setting. Don't forget that you can also setup defaults for new audio tracks and new midi tracks... This will be a time saver if you keep working in Live.

5. I would love for a more flexible vector based interface, that could be resized as needed (whereas right now you can use the zoom feature, but this only distorts sections as it enlarges them). And I could be wrong, but I thought there was a way to enlarge the text in preferences (if only they would allow for a larger preferences window the text there is laughably tiny depending on the resolution of you monitor).

tooneba wrote:
33tetragammon wrote:
Same here. Ugh!
A disorganised browser is a good reason not to buy Push

Orbit-50 wrote:
keyman_sam wrote:1). Grid keeps changing for every clip. For some clips its 1/4 for some its 1/8 and for some its 1/16. Yes I've tried turning on 'Fixed Grid' and turning off adaptive grid. It doesn't work.
This one got me for a while. Found out it goes by how you are zoomed in. If you are zoomed in differently in multiple clips, they will all show different grid resolutions. There are shortcut keys that will change the resolution also. You might want to learn those. They are in the manual.

.-.
I know the shortcuts, but seriously why would that not be changeable? If i turn off that thing should it not do that?

keyman_sam wrote:
Orbit-50 wrote:

.-.
I know the shortcuts, but seriously why would that not be changeable? If i turn off that thing should it not do that?
I don't know. Don't yell at me. I'm not the high exalted ruler of the evil Ableton empire! :lol:

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Orbit-50 wrote:
keyman_sam wrote:
Orbit-50 wrote:

.-.
I don't know. Don't yell at me. I'm not the high exalted ruler of the evil Ableton empire! :lol:

.-.
Well, you should be. :x

keyman_sam wrote:
Orbit-50 wrote:
keyman_sam wrote:
Orbit-50 wrote:

.-.

.-.
Well, you should be. :x
Ok. I'll apply for the job position tomorrow. At least I know I have your vote. :lol:

.-.

aMUSEd wrote:
tooneba wrote:
33tetragammon wrote:
Same here. Ugh!
A disorganised browser is a good reason not to buy Push
I have Push. It's awesome. High end build quality imo. I use it for Live, Bitwig, Numerology 4 and Reason. Still cannot stand the Live 9 browser though....'Yeah but you can browse presets on Push'....please....mouse free marketing bull...i don't fall for that. .....

Mousefree computer software operation is like screwing for virginity. :hihi:

Remember George Carlin?

Ok, back on topic....

Guys, you can create your own project folder; problem solved.

Check this page: https://www.ableton.com/answers/whats-t ... nd-samples

In there, you will find 4 links from heatecore.net; that will show you how to organize your presets your own way.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”