[SOLVED] Using 2 launchpads with Bitwig

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I can only use one at a time. I would like to have one for triggering clips and another as a drumpad if possible. Thanks for any info you can provide.
Last edited by cytochromec on Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Interesting - I never tried that. In theory it could work since scripts are basically independent.
So you have both connected and set up - what happens then that prevents you from using them?

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

I plug both in and they are both recognized as Launchpad Midi 1 by BitWig. Only one of them lights up. If I toggle the controller input menu in BitWig to point to the second "Launchpad Midi 1" the second one lights up and the initial one goes dark. Jack recognizes them as two launchpads and I can use both of them in Renoise.

So you are on Linux? In that case I can't really help that much... Linux Audio/Midi makes my head hurt (if it doesn't work right away that is).

In theory you should be able to plug both in, have two Launchpads on Bitwigs Controller Page in Preferences (if automatic recognition doesn't work, manually set up) and select their respective Midi Connections (or do you only get one Midi connection for both?) via the drop-downs if they don't get autodetected.

So far the theory - I never tried it. ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

I'd really like to get this working in Bitwig too, as I saw this video http://youtu.be/_5kH5SYm-B0 and wouldn't mind having a similar setup with Bitwig, but can't afford to waste money on another Launchpad if it doesn't work and don't know anyone with a launchpad to try.

I'm just gonna put this out there as a suggestion, but could it be that maybe you can't use the same controller script for 2 devices at the same time. So would it be a case of having to make a copy of of the Novation controller script, giving the files another name and then. Then maybe changing that ID DC7C601 bit in the 2nd novation script on this line (which I'm not totally sure what it does but I think it is a device ID, so they are on different IDs).

host.defineController("Novation", "Launchpad", "1.0", "DC7C601D-C6D9-4627-875C-D0AA527BA73A");

You can get a new ID here http://www.famkruithof.net/uuid/uuidgen as explained http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=259&t=407092

Let me know if that works if you try it. As I might go for the double launchpad too.

That could be worth a try too but is unlikely.
The UUID has nothing to do with the device itself, it's just a (random) number that is virtually guaranteed to be unique - it differentiates between scripts, not devices. But since you can for instance have 5 Generic Midi Keyboards all sharing the same name, ID and script, I would be surprised if that would the problem.
I guess it's more to do with Linux or the Launchpad itself.

cytochromec: do you get two separate Midi Inputs and Midi Outputs for the two Launchpads or only one?
I would expect one to be Launchpad Midi 1 and the other Launchpad Midi 2?

Cheers,

Tom

I can create two Launchpad controller instances in Bitwig, however in the drop down menu to select input and output there are two listings for Launchpad Mini MIDI 1. If I toggle between the first one in the menu and the second one in the menu, the first launchpad flashes the BW logo, but the second one never lights up.
In Jack the two Launchpads are recognized as distinct ports (eg 28 and 32) however they are both called Launchpad Mini MIDI 1. In Renoise, the two launchpads are recognized as "Launchpad Mini MIDI 1" and "Launchpad Mini MIDI 1 #2" and I can use both of them so I know it is possible.
So perhaps there is a way to make the devices report as differently named inputs (in the OS, Jack, or Launchpad itself) or the developers need to add a way for Bitwig to auto-increment when it detects two controllers with the same name.
Thanks for the ideas so far. I will mess around and report back (I might be able to try on another OS and see what happens).

So it doesn't work if you use the "first" Launchpad Mini MIDI 1 in the first Controller Dropdowns and the "second" Launchpad Mini MIDI 1 in the Dropdowns of the second?
Since it shows two of them, I would guess it should work as two separate Inputs/Outputs.
But yeah, this is getting into the Jungle of Midi/Audio on Linux where my experience ends. I would bet there is some config file somewhere that you can alter to get two different names though... ;-)

Maybe some Linux users can chime in here (you may want to alter your thread title to reflect you are using Linux).

Cheers,

Tom

tl;dr Got two launchpads to work!
So it doesn't work if you use the "first" Launchpad Mini MIDI 1 in the first Controller Dropdowns and the "second" Launchpad Mini MIDI 1 in the Dropdowns of the second?
Since it shows two of them, I would guess it should work as two separate Inputs/Outputs.
Right that doesn't work, only one of the launchpad flashes the Bitwig logo no matter the combination of ports I choose in the dropdown.
I tested out two launchpads on Windows 7 and the same problem occurs. There are two identically named ports in Bitwig and all combinations of the two inputs in the dropdown only lights up one of the launchpads.
However, I went back to Linux and created a virtual midi port using

Code: Select all

sudo modprobe snd-virmidi
(there is probably also a way to create a virtual midi port in Windows and OSX)
Then in QjackCtl (gui for Jack audio/midi connector) I connected the second launchpad to the virtual midi port (launchpad input - virutual output and launchpad output - virtual input). Then in Bitwig I set up two launchpad controllers, one set to the Launchpad port and the other set to the virtual port (which was just a blank link below the listed ports). And I got both to light up, and I could toggle one to drumpad and the other stayed on clip launcher. When they are both on clip launcher they both control and update correctly. So it looks like the devs should find a way to auto-increment two midi ports with the same name like Renoise does.

Interesting - have to try that out one day with two Launchpads...
Thanks for posting your solution!
I was under the impression that the numbering is done by the OS or the driver but maybe not?

Great you got it working!

Cheers,

Tom

Return to “Bitwig”