New Soundcard/Interface

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My music PC which has served me well for about 10 years has gone kaput and I'm planning on purchasing a new one from Inta-Audio - http://www.inta-audio.com/pc-builder/index/79

Although my old soundcard (E-MU 0404 pci) is still in working order, I'd want to go with something new but not sure whether to go down the USB or Firewire route. If I go with the latter, I'll need to opt for Firewire ports on the configuration of the new PC.

My needs are fairly basic (the E-MU did me fine in terms of audio in/outs and midi) so I'm after a simple soundcard/interface with minimal bells and whistles.

It's a long time since I looked into this kind of hardware stuff so I'm rather out of touch with gear.
Is Firewire a better option than USB on the whole?
Any views/recommendations on makes/models appreciated.

oddbod wrote: (the E-MU did me fine in terms of audio in/outs and midi)
Then stick with it.
Are you asking advice on new for the sake of new?

T-CM11 wrote: stick with it.Are you asking advice on new for the sake of new?
I've never liked the Patchmix with the DSP FX, which irritatingly causes a delay on start-up - I want to be rid of it. It may sound like a small thing, but I've always found it annoying.

oddbod wrote:
T-CM11 wrote: stick with it.Are you asking advice on new for the sake of new?
I've never liked the Patchmix with the DSP FX, which irritatingly causes a delay on start-up - I want to be rid of it. It may sound like a small thing, but I've always found it annoying.
Then disable it: Windows key + R -> Type "msconfig" (without the "") -> Startup

T-CM11 wrote: Then disable it: Windows key + R -> Type "msconfig" (without the "") -> Startup
okay, i didn't realise you could disable it. You're sure this will work? I thought the Patchmix was essential for the normal operation of the soundcard. I always found the Patchmix overcomplicated and difficult to fathom.
Also it's an old soundcard (discontinued I think) and Googling around, there seem to be problems with Windows 7 and drivers, etc.

oddbod wrote:
T-CM11 wrote: Then disable it: Windows key + R -> Type "msconfig" (without the "") -> Startup
okay, i didn't realise you could disable it. You're sure this will work? I thought the Patchmix was essential for the normal operation of the soundcard. I always found the Patchmix overcomplicated and difficult to fathom.
Also it's an old soundcard (discontinued I think) and Googling around, there seem to be problems with Windows 7 and drivers, etc.
Try it and reboot, if the ASIO driver fails after that, just enable it back. ;)
The Win7 driver is beta: http://support.creative.com/downloads/w ... 11#type_11
It might work perfectly for you, and if not - you can then buy that new audio interface...

I think the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is good basic audio interface for you. Or maybe a Steinberg UR22? Firewire is on it's way out, it used to be better for audio interfaces with a lot of inputs and outputs, but these days USB is just as good.
I have a MOTU Ultralite Mk3, and I notice no difference whether connected via USB or Firewire (it has both).

Thanks, as you suggest, I'll give the Emu a go and see how it performs, if not the Steinberg looks decent for a sub £100 price. The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 doesn't have MIDI, but the 2i4 does.

oddbod wrote:Thanks, as you suggest, I'll give the Emu a go and see how it performs, if not the Steinberg looks decent for a sub £100 price. The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 doesn't have MIDI, but the 2i4 does.
I still don't consider that a reason to pick one over the other, unless budget is really tight. ;)
http://www.thomann.de/be/emu_xmidi_1x1_b_stock.htm

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”