win 8 and touchscreen? when is the transition going to happen?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been faffing about with an ipad for a while now. Apps like samplr, z3ta, loopy etc really are fun. As are the midi controllers.

The problems with the ipad are processing power and imo transferring and organising files.

So - I've been looking for a new laptop and there's split 2 in 1 devices with good processing and storage running windows 8
. Which got me thinking - when will apps in windows 8 start to kick off ie £10 synths and when will developers start developing their vsts/sequencers for touchscreens ?

Anyone using a touchscreen with win8 btw?

No transition necessary, theres a few threads on this with guys on KVR already using Windows tablets with standard Windows programs for audio :

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&t=405737

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2#p5726542

mooninjune wrote:Which got me thinking - when will apps in windows 8 start to kick off ie £10 synths and when will developers start developing their vsts/sequencers for touchscreens ?

Anyone using a touchscreen with win8 btw?
you can buy Morphwiz and probably other Wizdom products on the Windows App Store for $10 or maybe $15 iirc. FL Studio Groove is around $10 or something, too.

I think you won't see many prices like that because it's just a different paradigm. The iOS ecosystem users would flip their shit over a $100 synth, but that might be considered cheap on a full-fledged desktop OS.

That said, with so many desktop DAWs relying on keyboard shortcuts to do stuff, using a touchscreen is slow and cumbersome right now for the most part, especially on a high res device unless you upscale everything or whip out the pen.
Last edited by KrisM on Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meh.

UltraJv wrote:No transition necessary, theres a few threads on this with guys on KVR already using Windows tablets with standard Windows programs for audio :
I don't think that's what he was asking about. I believe he's wondering when Windows 8 starts getting amazing designed-for-touch music apps like you can find on iDevices.

The apps will come when there's a market demand. The music offerings on Windows 8 (and Android) are very few and far between, but there just aren't enough people using the Windows 8 Store for current music developers to bother with it.

There's also the question of the Windows Store Apps infrastructure. At the moment, Windows 8 apps (not desktop applications) are extremely sandboxed and limited. Microsoft only offers a fraction of the OS's abilities to apps, and they're even more limited in some ways than Android and iOS apps. That doesn't mean that cool stuff isn't possible on Windows 8- but it does mean that people who want to deliver unique experiences in the Win 8 store environment are going to have to be incredibly resourceful.

Meanwhile, Microsoft is very busy neutering the rest of Windows to the point where in a release or two it will basically just be an Android clone, with no desktop mode in sight. (This is not an exaggeration.)

UltimateOutsider wrote:
UltraJv wrote:No transition necessary, theres a few threads on this with guys on KVR already using Windows tablets with standard Windows programs for audio :
I don't think that's what he was asking about. I believe he's wondering when Windows 8 starts getting amazing designed-for-touch music apps like you can find on iDevices.

The apps will come when there's a market demand. The music offerings on Windows 8 (and Android) are very few and far between, but there just aren't enough people using the Windows 8 Store for current music developers to bother with it.

There's also the question of the Windows Store Apps infrastructure. At the moment, Windows 8 apps (not desktop applications) are extremely sandboxed and limited. Microsoft only offers a fraction of the OS's abilities to apps, and they're even more limited in some ways than Android and iOS apps. That doesn't mean that cool stuff isn't possible on Windows 8- but it does mean that people who want to deliver unique experiences in the Win 8 store environment are going to have to be incredibly resourceful.

Meanwhile, Microsoft is very busy neutering the rest of Windows to the point where in a release or two it will basically just be an Android clone, with no desktop mode in sight. (This is not an exaggeration.)
Windows 8.1 is getting the Start bar back. TIFKAM dosnt even appear if the device dosnt have a touch screen. The Desktop mode stays. I for one never want a touch only solution. No matter how big the device, its a bad way of doing things. As Ive shown, people at KVR are using touch now, who cares about TIFKAM? You can use a full DAW and plugs right now if you want to. The win8 store is just a me too for app store/market. Ive never needed to look at it. for Have you actually used Windows 8.1 or just guessing?

UltraJv wrote:Windows 8.1 is getting the Start bar back. TIFKAM dosnt even appear if the device dosnt have a touch screen. The Desktop mode stays.
In Windows 8 it does. Enjoy it while you can. :)
UltraJv wrote:Have you actually used Windows 8.1 or just guessing?
If you only knew. ;)

Im asking because you don't seem to have looked at the development schedule for Windows 8. You dont seem to have any clue about 8.1 update changes. Your using FUD.....

Microsoft Windows is a mess right now. I'm not sure they even know what they are going to be doing next. If you are looking for a stable platform with cool touchscreen apps...stick with the iPad...you could always record the sounds into a different daw on your PC

silversurfer91 wrote:Microsoft Windows is a mess right now. I'm not sure they even know what they are going to be doing next. If you are looking for a stable platform with cool touchscreen apps...stick with the iPad...you could always record the sounds into a different daw on your PC
Don't know if Windows 8 is a mess or not.. but at least it's such a joy to use. And you can use any program you've ever used on the Windows platform and they work with touch too.

But of course it's nothing new. This was already possible in 2002 with "Windows XP Tablet PC Edition" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Tablet_PC
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

silversurfer91 wrote:Microsoft Windows is a mess right now. I'm not sure they even know what they are going to be doing next. If you are looking for a stable platform with cool touchscreen apps...stick with the iPad...you could always record the sounds into a different daw on your PC
IOS is a mess for audio as well, you cant have plugins so you have to link apps audio streams together in a kludgey way.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”