NDVR Note | NDVR evo

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, I was just about to order an EVO because it seems like the best expressive MIDI controller at an affordable price.
BUT... then I found those comments on this Synthopia page: http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2014/ ... r-now-199/
And I've also read this 20-pages topic http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=386344.
So it seems to me that something's fishy with this company.

Any news on this? (Legit(beeng shipped/adequate quality??)
thanks

ps
the order process is just a test order site with following message:
"Store Not Live Test all the features of your store without charging a real credit card." :roll:
So no real order even possible.?! I wonder how the (complaining) people even ordered this Evo Keyboard in the first place??
AMT

"Check out the only german Logic User Forum...www.logicuser.de

Considering the url now points to a Squarespace generic 'claim this URL' site, and people are claiming to have been burned, I'd say this is no longer something to worry about wanting.
Meh.

Ensoniq had a quite playable and durable "no keyswitches" poly AT keyboard based on metal plates on the bottom of the keys, and small inductors on a circuit board under the keys (where the key contact board usually goes). As in the EPS and a few others. The only minor complaint I had-- For my tastes the feel of the keyboard could have been improved somewhat while keeping the advantages, though the keyboard was playable enough. More playable than many modern keyboard mechanisms.

Surely the mechanism costed a little more than a "rubber nipple plastic contact" keyboard, but it didn't seem so expensive that it significantly raised the price of ensoniq products so equipped.

Most likely Fatar made the keyboard, because I think Fatar made most of the ensoniq keyboard mechanisms. The patent has surely run out by now. If there was much market at all for a Poly AT controller, then it seems that Fatar or somebody else could dust off the old blueprints and make new controllers based on that design, with very little new development work required.

Just borrowed a unit but found out the ndvr website and facebook are down.. Has anyone still got the evosizer software and the evo2midi max patch ? I can't seem to find it anywhere online.

What's happening with this at the moment, please, Simon?
I am very interested in your keyboards either at the reduced price or, if they've all gone, in the future, but your website at ndvr.co doesn't seem valid and I don't know how to contact you except through this forum.

Has anyone else managed to get hold of either a keyboard or Simon?

Ian

Personally I've pretty much given up on Simon/NDVR. I tried to order an EVO back in March (when the website and order page were still up) with no luck. I sent several emails with a simple question that needed answering before I could order, sent Simon a private message through this forum with no reply whatsoever. I even tried calling them several times but there was no one answering. No reponse whatsoever. Very disappointing.

I don't know if it's been mentioned but Andrew McPherson is collecting names for a second production run of the TouchKeys poly AT solution (http://www.eecs.qmul.ac.uk/~andrewm/touchkeys.html). I originally opted out because I felt the Note would be a better choice for me in terms of ergonomics (plus TouchKeys was a good deal more expensive) but I now regret that decission. If you're looking for poly AT this may be your best bet. The sooner that pre-order list is filled the sooner there will be a second production run so get your name on there (if you're serious about purchasing one that is)!

Also, although I find the aftertouch response of the X-Key essentially unusable, some might be interested to learn that CME will be releasing a 35-key version of the X-Key.

I still hope that Simon will get his act together and surprise us all one day but I'll believe it when I see it.

Thanks for that - I have put myself on the TouchKeys list and am holding my breath to see what the price is going to be ...

Great shame about NDVR, but I think there's a growing demand for this kind of controller, so maybe there'll be more options fairly soon. There is another one leaping on this bandwagon, but it's even more insanely expensive:

Look up the ROLI Seaboard....

Do we actually KNOW that Simon's keyboard was real and worked? Has anyone really bought one?

broken link
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

Broken link?

@tapper mike:
You mean the TouchKeys link? Works fine for me but here's an alternative URL. Note that it actually redirects immediately to the one I gave before:

http://touchkeys.org/

@robinhoodmusic:

I've looked at the ROLI Seaboard before and it's interesting but I'm not sure I'd be able to use it practically, it's just too different. I would probably get a Haaken Continuum before I'd get a Seaboard.
Do we actually KNOW that Simon's keyboard was real and worked?
I have no doubt whatsoever that it's real and that it works as advertised, the videos are very convincing. My only reservation is with regard to the feel of having an extra layer on top of the actual keys and how that affects the feel of the edge/side of the keys, especially the black keys. Also:
Has anyone really bought one?
Here's a video of at least one person who apparently bought it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5luRDLSnXo

TOYZ wrote:
robinhoodmusic wrote:Do we actually KNOW that Simon's keyboard was real and worked?
I have no doubt whatsoever that it's real and that it works as advertised, the videos are very convincing. My only reservation is with regard to the feel of having an extra layer on top of the actual keys and how that affects the feel of the edge/side of the keys, especially the black keys.
Robinhoodmusic was refering to the NDVR Note/Evo keyboards, not the TouchKeys.

Robinhoodmusic was refering to the NDVR Note/Evo keyboards, not the TouchKeys.
Ah, duh. That's what you get when you sleep <3 hours each night (got a 5 week old baby to care for). Anyway, I don't doubt that Simon's keyboard was quite real as well but apart from the videos he has posted I don't have any proof as such.

My ultimate keyboard would be a hybrid of the Note and the TouchKeys with the capacitive XY sensors an integral part of the key rather than an additional stick-on layer, along with a looooong ribbon controller.

TOYZ wrote:Ah, duh. That's what you get when you sleep <3 hours each night (got a 5 week old baby to care for). Anyway, I don't doubt that Simon's keyboard was quite real as well but apart from the videos he has posted I don't have any proof as such.
Hehe... have fun with the 5 weeks old baby! :wink:
At the top of this page I posted a link to a Synthopia article (http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2014/ ... r-now-199/) and there's some comments from people who got their hands on the Evo keyboards so there's proof this keyboard is real (and unfortunately faulty).

Thanks for the trouble you've gone to to put me in the picture - I guess you always risk getting what you pay for!
It does look as if there might be enough of a demand to get something underway on the built-in keyboard front. I'm going to see what happens with the next Touch Keys run anyhow ..

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”