My latest discovery...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have and use most of the major amp sims like IKMM Amplitube 3, Korg JamVOX, Native Instruments Guitar Rig 5 Pro, Scuffham S-Gear, Peavey Revalver Mark IIIDotV and others. They all have their unique strengths and weaknesses but I would have to give GTR 3.5 the highest marks for authentic sound. It is insanely effective at sculpting your tone, yet the sound and character of your favorite guitars will still shine through. Additionally, your workflow is quick and efficient thanks to a carefully crafted and very attractive GUI. The real "meat and potatoes" of any guitar amp simulator is it's sound... GTR 3.5 is simply stunning. All the presets are excellent and many are truly inspirational. I love this thing! Try the demo... you'll be hooked like I was! Thanks Waves!

http://www.waves.com/specials?gclid=Cjk ... :number=20
D Scarlatti, Dell XPS8700 i7/8gb mem/1tb hd/Steiny UR22/Presonus ER5s/Nektar LX61 kbd ctrlr/Win 10 Pro/S1 4.6/ my music here: https://www.magix.info/us/profile/my-profile/media/

Well, It's always subjective...

I like GR5 well enough, but only when I add some of the NI Softube fx to tailor the decay. That would be akin to increased workflow I guess though. I usually head for Revalver first, these days, but find Overloud to be great in many respects also. Those can be quicker but it doesn't take away from the GR5 unique character for me. Last thing I need is probably another amp-sim as I just started to notice something. My 'guitar' playing through the keyboards engenders a great deal of hostility from actual guitar players and even some of the crowd when they learn it wasn't a guitar at all. Somehow they feel deceived by loving it in the first place.

:shrug:

Not GR as in Guitar Rig, GTR as in the Waves product.

nineofkings wrote:Not GR as in Guitar Rig, GTR as in the Waves product.
I'm well aware of that. My point being I'm more than adequately covered in the amp-sim area and really have no need for another, such as GTR-Waves.
(Especially since it also requires PACE to run it?)

BBFG#: 'My 'guitar' playing through the keyboards engenders a great deal of hostility from actual guitar players and even some of the crowd when they learn it wasn't a guitar at all. Somehow they feel deceived by loving it in the first place.'

Yes, it has come to this.

Thanks to the OP for mention of the WAVES guitar thing. Hadn't heard of it but must have a look. Certainly won't be buying it in any case because of the PACE or whatever they require currently to run their plugs. Have plenty of software toys for guitar that require none of this, but so nice to be informed of yet another plugin! Thx.

D Scarlatti, Dell XPS8700 i7/8gb mem/1tb hd/Steiny UR22/Presonus ER5s/Nektar LX61 kbd ctrlr/Win 10 Pro/S1 4.6/ my music here: https://www.magix.info/us/profile/my-profile/media/

Integratron wrote: Additionally, your workflow is quick and efficient thanks to a carefully crafted and very attractive GUI.
Nice demo video, gets straight to the point.
A lot of demos are 90% useless rambling.

GTR Solo is okay. I don't like the distortion but the "pitcher", "chorus" and "spring" sound great.

Yeah, I have all those amp sims between Revalver, Scuffham, Guitar Rig, Th2, Vandal, Amplitube, GTR as well. I'm not so keen on GTR's high gain amps. I was never able to coax any good metal tones out of GTR and as you mentioned the others have their strengths and weaknesses. I find my best rock/metal tones have come out of Th2, select Amplitube models (Slash model), and select Guitar Rig (Rammfire).

Out of all those, I will say that I loved the effects the most from the Waves and the clean and low gain are passable. As for effects, for me Waves takes the cake for me followed by Native Instruments' guitar rig.

I wish GTR had a little better response to picking. Scuffham imo is much more responsive to your picking dynamics than Waves but I get more of a springy, thin nasal tone out of it on all the amps through all my guitars through S-Gear without the help of heavy post-eq. Then again there's not really one youtube clip from scuffham that impresses me tone-wise so I don't think it has to do with my setup. I never understood how people claim it can pass as a real amp.

Glad you are finding good tones out of it and good luck.

I hate to say, but I paid up for GTR this weekend :oops: For 49 bucks, I couldn't resist.

Now I have way too many amp sims and not sure what I really like except one thing I noticed. GTR stuff seems to sit in a mix better. Not that I'm a mixing expert, but the others are all too dark.

What I found for the high gain stuff was that I like mixing cabs. Maybe it's just my bad ears but playing around with mixing cabs seems to be getting it part of the way right for me.

I have ALWAYS struggled with this though. I tried everything, making my own chains using recab and twonotes, freeware, oh god. If only I played half as well as I do trying to find that sound!

Return to “Effects”