Controller Keyboard Velocity messages

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there a way to set MuLab to ignore the variations in the midi note velocity for notes from the USB controller keyboard, when playing in real time.

I have an Akai LPK 25 and want to play without velocity sensitivity.

As an alternative is there a general purpose midi application to acheive this when using any sequencer or vst host. Or does anyone know how to put the LPK into non velocity sensitive mode. The shipped Akai doc's don't indicate that this is possible but maybe there is a way to acheive it.

Doesn't the Akai have a velocity response setting? Check its manual. If it doesn't have such setting you could insert a "Note Modifier" module before the synths and set velocity to 127 so all notes will get max velocity.

Thanks MuTools

No the Akai doesn't

thanks for the tip for use with the MUX module . Is there a way to do that when using a VST

Yes, you can put a note modifier module before a VST synth too.

The note modifier seems to scale the velocity by a percentage factor rather than setting it to an absolute number ie 127. Is there another setting for it. I have MuLab 5.4.1 32 Bit.

Same in M6 - Note Modifier Velocity scales the velocity from 0% (making all messages have velocity * 0 / 100 = 0) to 100% (unchanged). It would be good to have an additional "offset" control on the edit panel - from -127 to +127 - to adjust the scaled velocity range.

In this case, set Velocity to 100%, that will practically make all velocities max out.

Does this work for you?

100% has full scale velocity tracking.
1 -> 1 * 100/100 = 1
127 -> 127 * 100/100 = 127.

I set up a rack with Note Modifier in slot one and Event Monitor in slot two.
With Velocity (%) at 100%, the event monitor shows velocity from 1 to 127.
With Velocity (%) at 5%, the monitor shows velocity to about 6.
With Velocity (%) at 0%, the monitor shows velocity at zero.

I'm sorry it was a typo 1000% i meant!

So all velocities above 12 will max out to 127!

I guess getting 10 times the input goes some way towards it but it would be nicer just to have the offset. Having occasional notes "drop out" when using 1000% just because you'd touched the key too softly isn't what's wanted for that fixed velocity-style effect. (Yes, it would need touching *very* softly ;). I couldn't do it in testing...)

Yes multiplying by 1000 get quite close to fixed full velocity there is still some sensitivity occuring on notes tapped lightly.
Thankyou.

Tip: You could make a MUX preset with 3 such Note Modifiers at 1000% in serial. That will bring even notes with velocity 1 to max velocity.

And the next version allows the Velocity to be set up to 12700% so then it can be done in 1 step.

In the mean time you can try pizMIDI plugins. There's one exactly for that.

Return to “MUTOOLS”