ACE vs Bazille

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been using Bazille a lot lately, and every time I think about using ACE I ask myself why, since I like the sound and the possibilities of Bazille more.

So my question is, is there something that ACE does "better" or does it have features that Bazille lacks?
Last edited by janlonden on Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ACE has soft sync with adjustable strength all the way up to hard sync for oscillator 2 (see page 15 of the present manual if you're unfamiliar with soft sync).

There's the "circuit bending" options to emulate quirks of failing old tech.

The ACE oscillators could be considered easier to handle as they're more old school.

You can instantly do PWM in ACE without convoluted workarounds.

Analogue modeling may give ACE a character some prefer but others such as you obviously don't so as with so much else that's just in theory.

I'm sure some synth heads that have been around for a long time and tweaked some of the classic semimodulars etc may feel more at home with ACE.

I'm not sure if any of the LFOs in Bazille can be used as a waveshaper as LFO 1 can be in ACE.

That's all I could think of. :P

V-GER wrote:ACE has soft sync with adjustable strength all the way up to hard sync for oscillator 2 (see page 15 of the present manual if you're unfamiliar with soft sync).
I'll take a closer look at this.
V-GER wrote:There's the "circuit bending" options to emulate quirks of failing old tech.
Ah yes, the circuit bending feature :D
V-GER wrote:I'm not sure if any of the LFOs in Bazille can be used as a waveshaper as LFO 1 can be in ACE.
The LFOs in Bazille can go up to audio rate, if that's what you mean?

It seems that it basically boils down to the more old school analogue sound.

Thank you for taking the time!
Last edited by janlonden on Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Well, Bazille's oscillators are similar to ACE's LFOs - just denser in features.

ACE's softsync is a secret weapon if you know how to coax the right sound of it. Undertones, tank drones, polypulses, chainsaws, glitchy sweeps, etc.

It also sounds more analog, which means ACE and Bazille compliment eachother really well.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Bazille ended up with different filters post-alpha, but there's nothing wrong with ACE's. The resonance and drive has maybe a softer feel, pairs well with the often more VA-oriented signals from the oscillators.

Ace doesn't crush your cpu as hard.

XD
dedication to flying

janlonden wrote:I've been using Bazille a lot lately, and every time I think about using ACE I ask myself why, since I like the sound and the possibilities of Bazille more.

So my question is, is there something that ACE does "better" or does it have features that Bazille lacks?
As others have said, ACE is more subtractive analog sounding...

I really love the filters in Bazille... I find them exceptionally expressive and controllable. There are many gorgeous sounds up towards the edge of self oscillation... often soft synths don't give much area there but Bazille has a lot of subtlety.

Push Bazille up into full on self oscillation and then the resonance is not particularly my favorite... it gets chirpy. ACE resonance gets more of that 303 sound which I find more pleasing.

Btw, If you feed the filter output back into itself in ACE, the filter stairsteps with cutoff modulation.

As Sendy said, the softsync in ACE is a secret weapon... lots of loveliness to be found there.

ACE is a solid synth in its own right... but if I had to pick between them it would be Bazille without even a thought. Bazille is an extraordinary synth.

rod_zero wrote:Ace doesn't crush your cpu as hard.

XD
:D Luckily that's not an issue for me.

Many of you have mentioned the soft sync feature. Could someone give some simple instructions how to get a nice sound using it? Or maybe upload a patch?

Thank you all for helping me get the most out of ACE!

I made a preset with some sync :)

Sounds all right to me!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ace is more like a cousin ...
more intresting would be zebra vs bazille

i m not sure if i need another synth but the devil inside me tells me to buy it
i

Return to “u-he”