Solved: Need to Reset Blacklist (Studio One 2.6.++ Ignores Crashed Plugins on Startup)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yeah that would be best practice, I should get into the habit of that but sometimes I don't even know if I'm making a song, I just like to fire up S1 and start jamming and if something cool starts coming together that's when I hit save.

It's in the very first main menu ... File | Restore Version.

Handy Tip: When you get new software the first thing you should probably do is take a couple of minutes and look over all of the menus. Especially with an app like S1 which actually doesn't have 1000 menus.

And in fairness, that may not be in the manual for some very odd reason, but still... it's right there on the File menu where you might go to look for... erhm ... files? :hihi:

Not to mention it was prominently listed, the very first item, in the rather short 2.62 update list. :lol:
> The most recent ten autosaves are archived into the Versions list automatically
Last edited by LawrenceF on Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks for tip.

Hey MG can you try something for me? Open S1, don't open a song, go straight to File and see if Restore Version is available for you? It's all greyed out for me. It only becomes an option for me once I've actually loaded a song:

ImageS1 by DJ Fusion, on Flickr

Just open a song and then look at those menus.

If there are no stored versions to open it will tell you that when you click the menu... "There are no versions for Song x." Of course, if you open the menu from the start page with no song open, there is no song open yet to be affecting?

Hope that helps.
Last edited by LawrenceF on Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greyed out, doesn't make much sense to have it active with nothing else open

Musical Gym wrote:Greyed out, doesn't make much sense to have it active with nothing else open
Yep. Some of our frustrations are self inflicted wounds caused by impatience. This is one of those cases.

It happens to us all at various times though so... no biggie.

Yeah that's what I figured, thanks MG. I thought my original post was fairly clear but I guess not.

Just to clarify I'm talking about crash recovery behaviour for a song that has never been saved - if I already had a song open then I would have no problem because my song would already be open. :)

ausgeno wrote:Just to clarify I'm talking about crash recovery behaviour for a song that has never been saved - if I already had a song open then I would have no problem because my song would already be open. :)
That's exactly what auto-save is for, when you crash. Example...

1. You work for 45 minutes without saving, get caught up in the groove.
2. You crash and think... "Oh shit. It crashed and I haven't saved since 45 minutes ago!"
3. You open the song file again which will be the last version you saved, missing those last 45 minutes of work.
4. You restore the autosaved version. Now your'e only missing 5 minutes at most (like 5 if auto save is set to 5 min.)

Minimal hit.

But to your other point, if you work for long periods of time without having ever having saved a song (or any computer file) at least one time early on (?) ... I would be clueless why that might be, why anyone would do that... unless they just think whatever they're doing is just not worth minimum effort to protect by hitting CTRL+S one time.

But yeah, if you open Reaper and jam for 30 minutes and never save a song file and eventually crash, you'll probably lose all of it (the arrangement) if you never saved it as a song to begin with.

Hope some of that helps.
Last edited by LawrenceF on Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

In S1 when you click Create a Song at the start screen, a dialog comes up with the default song title of today's date plus artist name (you).

This is the time to change the default name to something else like My Next Hit.

Change the title later if you want. I'm in the habit of saving manually often even when autosave is set to a few minutes.

If you're into jamming for ideas, S1 has a great comping functionality. Good tutorial on it at Groove3.

Yeah I'll get into the habit of that now MG, I suppose I was just a bit used to Abletons crash recovery which let me be a bit blasé about saving and naming.

1. You work for 45 minutes without saving, get caught up in the groove.

Yes.

2. You crash and think... "Oh shit. It crashed and I haven't saved since 45 minutes ago!"

No. It crashes and I think "Oh shit. It crashed and I've never saved."

3. You open the song file again which will be the last version you saved, missing those last 45 minutes of work.

No, I browse to the latest song folder, rename the file extension from autosave to song and I load that song.

4. You restore the autosaved version. Now your'e only missing 5 minutes at most (like 5 if auto save is set to 5 min.)

No, but I've seen enough giggling emoticons and suggestions to go and read the manual for one day so I think I'm just gonna let this discussion slide.

No. It crashes and I think "Oh shit. It crashed and I've never saved."
I hear you. I wasn't intending to be an ass there (and sorry if I was) but yeah, doing that is kinda asking for trouble and blaming the software (any software really) for that is a bit of a stretch.

My smiley's there were just the KVR norm, nothing personal or anything. I hope it all works out for you. Just always save your song at least one manual time, turn on auto-save, and you'll be ok. Worst case, you can just go delete the stuff you don't want to keep if your jam turns out uneventful.

Good luck to you.
Last edited by LawrenceF on Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks Lawrence, we're cool. And I do appreciate all the info, cheers. :hug:

ausgeno wrote:Thanks Lawrence, we're cool. And I do appreciate all the info, cheers. :hug:
You're welcome. My sense of humor is not the best. :)

At any rate, if you like to just boot and jam, try using a default song. Doing that might remove all of the other worries. Just keep auto-save on and boot and jam into the default song (boot straight to a song, not the start page) and later if you get something good going... "Save To New Folder".
4.6.8 Select a Default Song or Project
In the Studio One/Options/General menu, you can choose to open a Default Song or Project
when launching Studio One. To set the Song or Project that will be opened in this case, set up
a Song or Project and save it, with the name “default,” to the Songs or Projects folder located
at the current User Data location set in Options/Locations.
That way you'll always be opening an actual song file whenever you jam.

Nice tip thanks. I also need to set up some default templates.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”