Auto install multiple Native Instruments updates (Mac guide)

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all.

I just posted this on the NI forums. I thought some of you might find this useful too.

So,

You've just finished a marathon Komplete or Komplete Ultimate install on your Mac. The process was relatively painless - but incredibly time consuming. You're excited to get going so you launch Service Center to get authorized and realize that you have a further 36 updates to install (at the time of writing).

For some reason, Native Instruments think that it's a great customer experience to provide 36 individual mac DMG (disk image) files, each with their own individual product updater. Argh! Really? You're expected to mount each one individually and dial through each updater one at a time. It boggles my mind why they can't simply have an Apple-like or Adobe-like auto updater system that downloads the updates and installs them for you. But that would be too easy. Right?

Thankfully I've worked out a solution. Follow the steps below to automate the update process.

1. Install Komplete or Komplete Ultimate from the supplied DVDs or USB hard drive.
2. Run all of your main additional product installers individually. (Reverb Classics, Abbey Road 50s Drummer, Cuba, Drumlab... etc.)
3. It's updates time. Use Service Center or the NI updates page to download all of the individual .dmg file updates.
4. Once they're all downloaded, put all of the individual .dmg files into a single folder (eg. a folder called 'updates' on your Desktop)
5. Download a nifty little utility called InstallPKG from here:

http://www.lucidsystems.tk/download/installpkg/

6. A file called installpkg_v0.1.3.dmg should download to your Downloads folder.
7. Mount the .dmg file and run the installer. Great, you now have InstallPKG installed.
8. Launch the Terminal app - usually located in Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities
9. Type the following (don't hit return).

sudo installpkg -i​

10. After the -i leave a space.
11. Locate the folder where you saved all of your individual .dmg update files. For this example I saved them all in a folder on my desktop called 'updates' - without the ' ' obviously.
12. Now drag the folder with your updates into the terminal window. The line should now look something like this:

sudo installpkg -i /Users/colin/Desktop/updates​

13. Now you need to add a /* to the end of the command line in Terminal so the final line looks like this:

sudo installpkg -i /Users/colin/Desktop/updates/*​

14. You're done. Just hit return and enter your password when prompted.

Essentially this little app will run through the entire folder of updates, mount each DMG separately and install each one automatically. It may take a while so keep an eye on the Terminal and once it mentions something about restarting your computer, you're done.

I hope Native Instruments try and make this process much easier for their customers. Their Service Center app should be able to download all the updates and install them like this.

Hope this makes life a little easier for a few of you.

Thanks,
Colin

Thanks for this!

Monib wrote:Thanks for this!
Pleasure. :hug:

That's weird, on my Mac, they're installed by ServiceCenter automatically. It mounts the dmg, installs, unmounts and deletes it again.
Could it be a permissions issue? Service Center always asks for my password when I open it, I assume to gain admin rights to perform actions like these.
Regardless, thanks for writing your solution up, for everyone that does have the same issue (or, when I should run into it in the future ;) )

Really? I'll need to look into this. Maybe they've added the functionality. The last time I tried this, it just downloaded the DMG and that was that. I had to manually install it.

I don't plan on a re-install anytime soon but the next time I do a spring clean, I'll be sure to check this out.

Thanks!

If a new update comes along, I'll check as well and report back here (if I don't forget, that is ;) )

And, as I needed to install new versions of some NI instruments, I can confirm that there's a nice install button in the Service Center on my Mac.
Btw, if you backup software (as I do) you must copy the DMG's to your backup before installing, as Service Center will delete them permanently.

Puzzles me why it isn't there for everybody.
NI SC Install.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”