Omnisphere permissions problem

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've had Omnisphere running on my Mac for a couple of years no problems but now when I load it I get a message saying
The STEAM folder does not have write permission. Locate STEAM folder in the Finder. Select the 'Get Info' option. Set your privilege to 'Read & write'. Repeat for all subfolders.
I don't get this, I haven't changed anything regarding permissions and they are already set to read/write for my user account. It's on an external Seagate Thunderbolt drive.

ah yes, this problem. not all days have this issue but a lot of them do. try running daw as admin.

I already am logged in as admin

is this a known issue then with Omnisphere?

aMUSEd wrote:I've had Omnisphere running on my Mac for a couple of years no problems but now when I load it I get a message saying
The STEAM folder does not have write permission. Locate STEAM folder in the Finder. Select the 'Get Info' option. Set your privilege to 'Read & write'. Repeat for all subfolders.
I don't get this, I haven't changed anything regarding permissions and they are already set to read/write for my user account. It's on an external Seagate Thunderbolt drive.

Do you use Cubase and did you recently update it?

No Tracktion but it is happening in other hosts too - and not recently updated anything

I had this on Win 7 when I first installed. On Win , it was a matter of locating the main folder and checking the permissions with the option of doing this for all sub folders. I don't know how you do it on Mac, but on Win it was a matter of right clicking on the folder and selecting Properties. After I did, no further problems like this.

Yeah that was the first thing I checked - they are and have always been enabled. At the moment a reboot seems to have fixed this though.

aMUSEd wrote:No Tracktion but it is happening in other hosts too - and not recently updated anything

Yea, same experience here...
I agree this is odd.

It will be interesting to see what others are experiencing.

PatchAdamz wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:No Tracktion but it is happening in other hosts too - and not recently updated anything

Yea, same experience here...
I agree this is odd.

It will be interesting to see what others are experiencing.
it will be interesting to see when spectrasonics releases an update to omnispere. omnispere is getting a bit long in the tooth. last update was, in febuary 2011. i mean cmon man! spectrasonics keep talking about this amazing update in 2014 and yet 2014 is more then half over im getting a bit annoyed but i will keep it because sooner or later, hopefully in 2014 there will be a sick ass update to omnisphere that will blow everyone's mind once again and probably everyone cpu. then we will all be bitching about omnisperes cpu use and many will go back to the less cpu intensive 1.5.

You can try turning UAC off. Also reinstall as admin. If it's in a "protected path" Win8 can get feisty. Eg. *:/program files

Renoise has been complaining about this lately for me too actually. UAC keeps resetting the files to read only. Best option is to move files out of a protected path I think.

Return to “Instruments”