Korg Legacy Collection - still killing it 10 years later

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
M1 MDE-X: Software Effects Suite Mono/Poly MS-20 Polysix Wavestation

ATS wrote:you really spent $199 on yours? I got mine cheaper than that.
Yes, but it originally came with the mini MS20 controller, which added a lot of value.

@ gettosynth:
... indeed, but the goal wasn't to come with new ideas, obviously, but giving people the old stuff...
i believe the way you see it is a bit like mine in one strong point. namely: if they obviously have a team of people able to code various plugins, why oh why didn't they as well come up in the past ten years with something a bit more in line with today's needs and possibilities? i mean, the legacy cell concept could have been so much more than having two synths playing in parallel...
that is one of my grip with today's virtual instruments. how much more ''emulations'' do we need? I am happy i discovered Aalto recently, or Padshop pro... there is still plugins coming out that are not just trying to be the new ultimate emulation of a famous 2OSCs analogue synths...

korg has the potential and resources to come up with interesting new and fresh instruments, and yet we are showered with Volcas. there is a need for that, i accept it, but i agree that the world needs new approaches too.
what bothers me with emulations is the fact thyat somehow programmers need to limit themself to the original hardware. Yes, TAL bassline 101 is a very good emulation (i can still spot the difference with my old 101, but it is still the best emulation of a classic i have ever heard), but look at what this guy can do if he doesn't limit himself to that: the free Noisemaker synth is amazing.
my point is that korg could do the same, considering their background; not trying to emulate a classic, but going towards creating the best synth they can, period.
of course, as for every other synth, ''best'' is very subjective...
It's not what you use, it's how you use it...

Hear hear ,i have an original MS 20 and the Plug in and i have to say there is very little difference in the sound quality :-)
Last edited by risome on Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

nobody has mentioned the insanely low CPU use of the collection. so yeah, go with the so called "modern" analog emus that only produce a slightly better sound at a much higher CPU TAX, and most listeners won't even notice the difference.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Big love for the MonoPoly here. And the MDE-x unit is a killer FX insert that uses virtually no cpu.

Here's some sounds I did with the Korg analog collection synths.
https://soundcloud.com/monomo/sets/mono ... ndset-korg
Although the soundset isn't available now.
Setting up a new site atm.

The best thing about the MS20, and Polysix, is the filter. The resonance is the best imo.
The LegacyCell is great for mixing them, and midi control.

layzer wrote:nobody has mentioned the insanely low CPU use of the collection. so yeah, go with the so called "modern" analog emus that only produce a slightly better sound at a much higher CPU TAX, and most listeners won't even notice the difference.
Yea true, very good point.

Ingonator wrote:
Chopper wrote:the polysix is the weakest link there, in my opinion... but still, if you need a complete pack of higly usable synths for not much money, the legacy collection is great. sure, the MS20 emulation could do with an update or two, from the interface to the general ''warmth'', but the spirit is there... I am lucky enough to still have the controller too, and i have to admit that programming the vsti with it leads me to more interesting results than without. might be the familiarity with the original synth, i don't know...
yes, there is more ''analog sounding'' plugins around those days, but try to beat the usefulness of korg legacy collection...
I got all of the Legacy Collections around the time they were released (Legacy Colection Analog Edition, analog Edition 2007 Upgrade that included Mono/Poly and the Digital Edition). BTW the boxed version of the Digital Edition icluded a free eLicenser USB dongle that i use until today.

While i got lots of high quality analog emulations and also two real analoh monosynths (Pulse 2, Slim Phatty) i still use the Korg plugin quite often.
I am a big Wavestatio fan and got a Wavestation EX keyboard since 2004 and having the plugin is also quite important for me.

Concerning the M1 there are several reasons why the emulations seems to be superior to sample libraries which includes an insane amount of patches, additional samples from expansion cards tons of multi programs, the ability to create your own opatches and a resonant filter not included with the real thing (same with the Wavestation). Besides taht you don't need tons of RAM to load samples. A sample library with all patches in the emulation would be insanely big.

Last but not least the Legacy Cell is also really great.

Ingo

Well said!

Having owned and used almost all the original hardware for years, the Legacy does indeed hold its own and at a reasonable price.

Is it exact, ofcourse not, is it more flexible then samples of the hardware, absolutely.
With good programing, you can get some great sounds out of these.

C.Bennett wrote:Sylenth this, Spire that, Dune 2 here and Diva there. These are all wonderful synths but there's a little collection of synths out there that don't get the love they deserve on KVR - or anywhere else for that matter (ie. MusicRadar's top synths - cough cough).

The KORG Legacy Collection is 10 years old this year.

—MS-20
—Polysix
—Mono/Poly
—M1
—Wavestation
—MDE-X

Yes, 5 of the finest software recreations ever produced.

Sure, the GUIs look a little small and dated but the sound… the sheer sonic quality from these little guys is still absolutely breathtaking. 10 years later, they're still absolutely killing it. There's some voodoo magic going on in the programming of these synths that put the modern 'in vogue' soft synths to shame.

The sad thing is that KORG don't put much effort into the collection these days. Piracy and poor sales have reduced the resources allocated to the project and I hear that the 64-bit versions almost didn't happen. Thankfully they did and I'm hoping they're maintained for years to come. Thank you KORG.

So, here's to the Korg Legacy Collection and my renewed love for it. Raising a glass of my finest to celebrate the best $199 you can spend on music software. Period.

:party: :wheee: :love:
Question: If these are "5 of the finest software recreations ever produced", which one of the SIX you have listed is not?

I certainly do not want that one. ;)

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

I think that the upgrade is currently (?) on sale for $49.00 :D

Correction: $99.00 for the bundle for M1 Le users. Each instrument is $49.00 each.

Wishful thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :oops:
Last edited by Integratron on Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
D Scarlatti, Dell XPS8700 i7/8gb mem/1tb hd/Steiny UR22/Presonus ER5s/Nektar LX61 kbd ctrlr/Win 10 Pro/S1 4.6/ my music here: https://www.magix.info/us/profile/my-profile/media/

dsan@mail.com wrote:Question: If these are "5 of the finest software recreations ever produced", which one of the SIX you have listed is not?
The MDE-X obviously, because it's not a software recreation of anything.

beely wrote:
dsan@mail.com wrote:Question: If these are "5 of the finest software recreations ever produced", which one of the SIX you have listed is not?
The MDE-X obviously, because it's not a software recreation of anything.
Hey - I smelt that one! :clown:
D Scarlatti, Dell XPS8700 i7/8gb mem/1tb hd/Steiny UR22/Presonus ER5s/Nektar LX61 kbd ctrlr/Win 10 Pro/S1 4.6/ my music here: https://www.magix.info/us/profile/my-profile/media/

Well that spurned me to look into the collection beely.

I guess technically MDX-E is not a "recreation" but it seems you can get it as part of the bundle listed in the op.

Still, while it may well be the cat's meow in the eyes of the OP, at the list price, a bit too much - at this time.

If, however, I was in the market, I'd be tempted ;)

The Wavestation looks interesting - but - why no demos?

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

So, C.Bennett - Since you are very happy with the Korg Legacy Collection, and I can't find any demos at the Korg site, can you share some things you have done with it so as to convince me it's worth the asking price?

Will be much appreciated now that you have peeked my interest ;)

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

Check korguser.net. The downloads for Legacy plugins work as a demo, as far as i can remember.

Return to “Instruments”