IKM SampleTank 3 (ST3) Now Available

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SampleTank SampleTank 3

Guitars?
Components are more important than brand.
And the playing is more important than the guitar.

As far as the Strat and Les Paul reference, I hope people are actually spending some time with this large sound library as there is a deep variety that we feel you would discover more and more over time and the analogy will be fine as originally stated. I know many jumped to first import the legacy libraries and to post about SampleTank 3 in general but with use over time we're confident that the quality of the library as a whole will be evident as it is for many already that have devoted time to it already since release. We've seen many that are thoroughly enjoying the additional depth and breadth (and quality) they are enjoying, even in comparison with the stock library of other products.

That said, we also note where there is room for improvement, and thank you for the constructive criticism there too from those that have devoted time to the new library and shared their thoughts.

For those interested in the introductory pricing, and any information about SampleTank 3 available, you can find it on our site here http://www.ikmultimedia.com/sampletank3

Peter-
One thing that I think I'm missing out on is FX presets. ST2.5 had a bank of FX presets for a variety of uses. Likewise, FX chains and settings could be easily saved and recalled.

Is there an FX preset bank that is hidden somewhere that I'm just not finding? If so, how do I access it.

Sorry if this has been asked and answered. But it's a long thread...

Thanks
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

BERFAB wrote:Peter-
One thing that I think I'm missing out on is FX presets. ST2.5 had a bank of FX presets for a variety of uses. Likewise, FX chains and settings could be easily saved and recalled.

Is there an FX preset bank that is hidden somewhere that I'm just not finding? If so, how do I access it.

Thanks
-B
Not anything that isn't part of a Multi and you could save it so I will agree that this is a good idea. I'll relay it - I know many would appreciate a starting point, and hopefully they could be named in a way that gives an indication of what they may work best on ("Piano soup" or some such thing) where applicable just like we do in T-RackS when it makes sense. Not to pigeonhole but to guide (as I'd also hope that people would experiment with them on other sounds). Anyway, cart before the horse - I'm on board but nothing will get done if I don't stop this post and relay the request :)

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
BERFAB wrote:Peter-

Thanks
-B
Not anything that isn't part of a Multi and you could save it so I will agree that this is a good idea. I'll relay it - I know many would appreciate a starting point, and hopefully they could be named in a way that gives an indication of what they may work best on ("Piano soup" or some such thing) where applicable just like we do in T-RackS when it makes sense. Not to pigeonhole but to guide (as I'd also hope that people would experiment with them on other sounds). Anyway, cart before the horse - I'm on board but nothing will get done if I don't stop this post and relay the request :)
Thanks. I thought it seemed odd. One of ST's strengths against the competition is its abundance of very high quality FX. The ST2.5 FX bank was great to get you going. I would think the big brains at IK would have an easy time putting this together for ST3. Also, a communal FX patch bank like with Amplitube would be a nice way to share the wealth.

Cheers
-B
Berfab

BERFAB wrote:
Rajah wrote:
giankam wrote:Hi Anybody compared Halion Sonic 2 to ST3 sound quality wise?
I will give my take on this...

It's like a Les Paul and a Strat.. They are both great guitars with different sounds... Many guitarists have both..

I think that ST3 has a more 'in your face', distinct sound . I can only imagine what the up-coming sample libraries will do for it.. Was messing with keyswitching sound in the stock library (Those Nylon Strings are superb), I must admit, I love ST3.

I think that Halion Sonic 2 is an incredible piece of software with a smooth silky sound.. and some incredible synths... I must admit, I love HS2/H5.

I think having them both is a wise decision..
I guess the ST3 demo will be here soon.. so you can tell for yourself..
I have to disagree. HS2 has much more polish than ST3. Starting with the interface, HS2 has those great macro instruments that don't just give you a sampled representation of the instrument, but give you a good approximation of the actual instrument. The Organs, the Beatbox, the pad synth and the ethnic percussion all get their own spotlight instruments that sound amazing and are great to play and tweak.

Overall, the sounds in HS2 are pristine and easily tweaked to taste. It's also apparent that thought has been given to each patch as to how it would sound in a mix. All my favorites are as close to production ready as you can get.

ST3 is a bit more [IMHO] hit or miss. Much attention has been paid to drums and beats. The kits (and there's lot's of 'em) are some of the best you'll find in a package like this. The included MIDI beat library is also quite plentiful and diverse. And the drum kit controls are smartly arranged (the volume of each kit piece is instantly accessible) for instant gratification. And, if the kits and midi's aren't enough, there are endless (it seems) loops in a variety of popular genres, both processed and dry. Plus, the 55 top o' the line effects (all your faves are here) really give you a lot to work with.

And, on top of that, there are a number of ethnic percussion sets and genre construction kits. These work similar to the Heavyocity concept: just play any combination of keys, and you'll get endless combinations of beats, suitable for a variety of uses.

But, like I said, it is hit or miss. Others here have complained about the included vocal sets. I concur. For the most part, they're awful. The one saving grace is the Gospel choir set, and even that suffers from some artifacts due to stretching. Fortunately, the ST2.5 legacy vocal set is on hand, and, though limited, sounds much better than the new stuff, to my ear at least. (Even better, if you have Sonik Synth 2, re-visit its vocal set. The choirs especially are head and shoulders above those in ST3.)

The guitars are ok, but nothing that knocks you out. In fact, I'm completely puzzled as to why, given the top-drawer FX arsenal on board, there are no convincing solo gain patches in any genre. How hard would it be to have a few convincing blues leads (with a touch of dist, a bit of delay and a verb tail)? The samples are clearly there. Ditto high-gain face melters. Where are they?

The acoustics are ok, but not a giant step up from ST2.5, as they should be. Compare HS2's "Solo Nylon" lead as just one example.

The basses are very nice (hit!), and there are a lot to choose from in both electric (fretted and fretless), synth, and upright styles. On the other hand, many of the synth patches - the leads especially- sound digital and lifeless, even the FM emulations (miss!).

The rest of the instruments are good, (as expected, the acoustic pianos are well sampled and programmed), but lack the final pro gloss of the HS2 sound.

And finally, there is that interface. To my eye, it's clunky, and takes too much clicking to get to what I need (i.e. you have to go back and forth from the macro to the fx pages way too much, and there's no easy way to see what's in your effects rack for tweaking).

Overall, I'm glad I have it for the legacy stuff. But I'm fairly confident that I won't have much use for the new stuff.

Other than that, I have no strong opinions on the subject. :hihi:

Cheers
-B
Hello BERFAB... thanks for your input.. But I cannot find that patch in HS2/H5 (Solo Nylon).
Could it be a typo? I will really like to do an A/B comp.

Vocalpoint Studios wrote:
RLSguitar wrote:- 1 - Navigate to and open the "SampleTank 3.settings" file in a text editor:
  • C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\IK Multimedia\SampleTank 3\SampleTank 3.settings
  • To open this file, right-click on it and select "Open with..." from the context menu and choose your text editor.
And- what if one (say like me) has just installed ST3 to my WIndows 7 x64 machine and I have no SampleTank 3.settings file to speak of? I cannot find any files in the location mentioned above.

Right now - if I click on the icon that was placed by Setup - I get nothing at all.

Wow. This is horrible.

VP
Try running a search for the file. If it still doesn't show up, you can create it manually with a text editor. If you're having trouble identifying your correct ASIO driver name, you may wish to use ASIO4ALL as explained here:
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/forum/viewt ... 590#p45886

If you're going to install ASIO4ALL, just copy and paste the code below into a new text document. Save as "SampleTank 3.settings" as the file name to the "C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\IK Multimedia\SampleTank 3\" location.

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<PROPERTIES>
<VALUE name="audioDeviceState">
<DEVICESETUP deviceType="ASIO" audioOutputDeviceName="ASIO4ALL v2" audioInputDeviceName="ASIO4ALL v2"
audioDeviceRate="44100" audioDeviceOutChans="11"/>
</VALUE>
<VALUE name="midiIsAny" val="1"/>
</PROPERTIES>
Hope this helps!
Robert Len Stallard
True to the music...

www.RLSguitar.com
KVR Seller/Buyer Feedback

Rajah wrote:
BERFAB wrote:
Rajah wrote:
giankam wrote:Hi Anybody compared Halion Sonic 2 to ST3 sound quality wise?
I will give my take on this...

It's like a Les Paul and a Strat..
I have to disagree. HS2 has much more polish than ST3.

The guitars are ok, but nothing that knocks you out. In fact, I'm completely puzzled as to why, given the top-drawer FX arsenal on board, there are no convincing solo gain patches in any genre. How hard would it be to have a few convincing blues leads (with a touch of dist, a bit of delay and a verb tail)? The samples are clearly there. Ditto high-gain face melters. Where are they?

The acoustics are ok, but not a giant step up from ST2.5, as they should be. Compare HS2's "Solo Nylon" lead as just one example.

Cheers
-B
Hello BERFAB... thanks for your input.. But I cannot find that patch in HS2/H5 (Solo Nylon).
Could it be a typo? I will really like to do an A/B comp.
My apologies. You are correct. First of all, the name of the patch is "Lonely Nylon Solo." And second, it is NOT a HalionSonic 2 patch. It's a Halion 5 patch.

However, searching for it through the acoustics and electrics in HalionSonic 2 confirms for me that it is very strong in this area. And the electric leads in particular, are outstanding. Sorry for any confusion.

Cheers
-B
Berfab

Halion 5 is strong in most areas. The expansion packs are also great (HSO, Dark Planet, Hypnotic Dance, Triebwerk).

Can anyone point me to these midi patterns? The 'pattern' section browser is empty for me. I'm using the standalone version btw, if that makes a difference, as hilariously I bought ST3 at the cheapest price I could, so I could use it when I eventually get Logic X. However I'm still on Logic 8 which isn't 64 bit so I can't use it as a plug in.

EDIT... fixed miraculously, never mind.
Last edited by someone called simon on Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

BERFAB wrote:
My apologies. You are correct. First of all, the name of the patch is "Lonely Nylon Solo." And second, it is NOT a HalionSonic 2 patch. It's a Halion 5 patch.

However, searching for it through the acoustics and electrics in HalionSonic 2 confirms for me that it is very strong in this area. And the electric leads in particular, are outstanding. Sorry for any confusion.

Cheers
-B
Well still cannot find a patch named 'Lonely Nylon Solo'... But, did test some of the better A. Guitar sounds (With Keyswitching) in H5.. I guess it all boils down to one's personal taste... But what I can say is, those Nylon string in ST3 plays as if you are sitting next to someone who is playing an A. Guitar (realism)..
Anyway, time to dig deeper in ST3.

Peace..

DarkStar wrote:The files might be "hidden", so you may need to make them visible in Explorer / Tools /Folder Options / View tab. That's where they should be after a successful install. Or, try Searching your complete disk for the file(s).
I already have Show All hidden files and folders on. There is nothing is this folder location whatsoever.

Regarding a "successful" install - the install completed end to end without a complaint so I am assuming that means "successful"?

VP

In that case, I would raise a Support Ticket at IK Multimedia.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote:In that case, I would raise a Support Ticket at IK Multimedia.
Ticket raised.

However - since I suspect that IK is being deluged with issues after this half baked rollout - it may be days or weeks (or never) to get an actual answer.

Here's hoping...:)

VP

Here's a decent (20 min) review: http://youtu.be/jthMRLp5fh4

Return to “Instruments”