Korg Legacy Collection - still killing it 10 years later

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
M1 MDE-X: Software Effects Suite Mono/Poly MS-20 Polysix Wavestation

chk071 wrote:
dsan@mail.com wrote: Unfortunately, I'm not finding any demos of the software at Korg, so will have to rely on the sound demos the guys here have graciously provided.
Not finding those too now... i could have sworn they were available from korguser.net. I see they changed some stuff now on their shop site though, that's a shame.
The demo's have ALWAYS been a pain in the butt to find, but they are there.

There are threads with step-by-step instructions on how to get to them. Do a little digging. I'll post if I find them.

Essentially, once you've registered as a user and logged in, you can download from the "Download for Registered Users" link.

Here's the lowdown from another thread:
codec_spurt wrote: You don't need any products to register.

Complete the New User Registration:
https://www.korguser.net/Asp/New_Customer.asp?fLogin=1

Give your real or imaginary details - you don't have to
validate by email so it don't matter...

Once you have signed up,
https://www.korguser.net/login.asp?OS=WIN&LAN=1&TOP=1

The downloads page is on your right hand side.
If the page reloads when you click on 'buy' again here, just Log back in.

I think the Korg analog legacy plugins were amazing for their time but are starting to show their age especially with the tiny GUIs. I still use them as "supporting" synths but I switched to more modern analog emulations for my main synths now that I have an I7.

I think Korg could be "killing it" with plugins but they prefer to focus on hardware plus iPad. I am sure they are focusing on what's most profitable.

An interesting sidenote. I really liked the delay effect on a Diva patch and wanted the same delay on another synth. I went through several of my delay plugin effects and found that good ole Korg MDE-X's "LCR BPM Delay" could nail it except for the Wow knob.

(The knob settings don't match. These are pics I found on the web.)

jsp1979 wrote:
chk071 wrote:
dsan@mail.com wrote: Unfortunately, I'm not finding any demos of the software at Korg, so will have to rely on the sound demos the guys here have graciously provided.
Not finding those too now... i could have sworn they were available from korguser.net. I see they changed some stuff now on their shop site though, that's a shame.
The demo's have ALWAYS been a pain in the butt to find, but they are there.

There are threads with step-by-step instructions on how to get to them. Do a little digging. I'll post if I find them.
Thanks guys for looking into and the follow up. :tu:

Much appreciated ;)

I didn't bother with a search for demos since I couldn't find them at Korg, figuring all I would get is warez sites.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

ghettosynth wrote:
PatchAdamz wrote:
layzer wrote:nobody has mentioned the insanely low CPU use of the collection. so yeah, go with the so called "modern" analog emus that only produce a slightly better sound at a much higher CPU TAX, and most listeners won't even notice the difference.
Yea true, very good point.
There are exceptions, but for the most part there is a correlation between modeling quality and CPU usage. Of course the legacy plugins don't tax a modern CPU, they're 10 years old.

IMNSHO, synths like Diva and Monark are not just "slightly" better.

These synths use the very efficient CMT technology which is different from the modeling used by other soft synths.

The original hardware did not have much CPU and memory.

Korg did a great job of sticking to the original design as much as possible including the sound sources.

This is why they do represent the original hardware as well as they do.

PatchAdamz wrote: The original hardware did not have much CPU and memory.
The original MS-20 had no CPU and memory. :)

PatchAdamz wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
PatchAdamz wrote:
layzer wrote:nobody has mentioned the insanely low CPU use of the collection. so yeah, go with the so called "modern" analog emus that only produce a slightly better sound at a much higher CPU TAX, and most listeners won't even notice the difference.
There are exceptions, but for the most part there is a correlation between modeling quality and CPU usage. Of course the legacy plugins don't tax a modern CPU, they're 10 years old.

These synths use the very efficient CMT technology which is different from the modeling used by other soft synths.
Oh really, how so? "CMT tehnology" is marketing hype.
The original hardware did not have much CPU and memory.
The digital hardware yes, but what does that have to do with CPU efficiency of an analog emulation?
This is why they do represent the original hardware as well as they do.
Which is, as far as the analog stuff goes, not well at all, and as far as the digital stuff goes, about as well as any other sampler loading up small samples and applying a simple non-resonant lowpass.

In short, the digital emulations are cpu efficient because they're not much more than simple samplers loading tiny, by today's standards, samples. I use Ableton's sampler for my M1 piano/organ sounds. I imagine that I can load hundreds of instances before my cpu even notices.

The analog emulations are cpu efficient because they're not very good, not because of any special technology.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote:
PatchAdamz wrote:

I agree... as soon as I hear audio demos from 10 year old softsynths, they always sound like 10 year old softsynths... doesn't matter which one it is (which doesn't mean I cannot enjoy them).

And most of those demos do not even begin to address the difference when you start really tweaking stuff in realtime. Start hitting the filter hard while playing a bass patch in Monark and not a single 10 year old softsynth can even come close.

This always makes me chuckle...

Legacy hardware everyone wants it, new stuff gets slayed
Virtual software...total reverse!!

Well, software doesn't have the vintage factor. It doesn't rust, or lose it's tone. :P

MFXxx wrote: Legacy hardware everyone wants it, new stuff gets slayed
Legacy hardware with analog components is desirable. My Casio FZ-10 hardware sampler, 100% digital technology, is ready for the junkyard.

The Korg Legacy Collection is sprinkled thru this. Some Oatmeal and Crystal completes the snack.

https://soundcloud.com/harry-whalen-1/otl-new-master

I paid $99 after buying a nanoKontrol2 for $60, CDN.
So ~ $150 US depending on the day.

Back in the day I owned the MS20, MS10 and MS50, all sold and a Korg Lambda which I gave to another muscian.
Probably spent ~$4000.

What's not to like about the KLC suite!

Frantz wrote:
PatchAdamz wrote: The original hardware did not have much CPU and memory.
The original MS-20 had no CPU and memory. :)

Frantz wrote:
MFXxx wrote: Legacy hardware everyone wants it, new stuff gets slayed
Legacy hardware with analog components is desirable. My Casio FZ-10 hardware sampler, 100% digital technology, is ready for the junkyard.
Yep. This comes naturally from understanding the technology. For most digital hardware, it can simply be done better with newer gear so, among those who value technology strictly for its ability to create sound rather than nostalgia, old digital hardware doesn't hold much value.

Its always a deal if you buy one of the nano or micro controllers. 99 bux to upgrade the m1le software that comes with the lower-key count controllers which fall in the 50-90 dollar range themselves. So that alone is lower than the collection price. But the 61 key micro key comes with a full licence which is around 160-180 so you get the collection plus an extra 61 key controller for < 200 bux.

Return to “Instruments”